Imagination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Imagination
Ask a theist friend to close their eyes and imagine a person who is 10 times as tall as they are. As tall as a 5-6 story building. This person can be male or female. Doesn't matter.
Ask them to describe hair length, hair color, facial hair, glasses or even how this person is dressed.

Tell them this extra tall person is looking down upon you and smiling.
Tell them this person is proud of how you are living your life

Once they have this imagined tall person firmly in their minds, ask them to think about god.

"Close your eyes and tell me how you imagine god to be"

After they tell you about their god, then ask them to compare both imagined experiences.

Hopefully some light bulbs will begin to turn on in their brains

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2013, 09:52 AM
RE: Imagination
Is this experiment to expose the fact that the descriptions will be similar? As far as I can understand, most religious individuals already have a preconceived notion of what god looks like. I am not sure I understand what this would achieve. Consider

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
31-07-2013, 09:53 AM
I think it's interesting, but most religious people probably get a sense of what they think their god looks like from their culture. And if they project that onto the imaginary figure, would that be surprising?

If they had sense of mind, they would just call the thought experiment a non sequitor.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
31-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Well in western society the face of god has been known since early Greek times. Zeus has been relabeled many times but even now when most people have a picture of "God" in their heads , white robe long grey beard possibly a crown, it is based on the sculptures of Zeus and Saturn (roman Zeus)

Here is a great lecture (well 2 really) on how pre-existing culture shapes history.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Hopefully it will show them that every feeling, every thought they have of god, when they pray, when they feel connected to a holy spirit is imaginary.

When they feel that love from this god, they will see that it's truly their imagination at work and nothing more.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
31-07-2013, 03:32 PM
(31-07-2013 03:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 02:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It's ok KC, ya know we has the feels for ya. Hug But you know the rule if you go grammar Nazi you will make an error in the post and it will be called out. Thumbsup

Pride goeth before a fall. Drinking Beverage

Nuh-uh! Summer. Tongue

I don't have any pride. And KC's a poopyhead. Why did we let him in here again?

As to the OP, theists don't have any imagination. That's why they're theists. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post