Imagination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Imagination
I was walking in the woods with my dogs yesterday and came across a clump of trees and shrubs that made a perfect cave for kids to play in. It triggered a bunch of childhood memories and that led me to think about imagination.

When I grew up, imagination was what drove all of our play. We were always pretending this or that. We had plenty of outdoor time to just play without supervision, and there were no electronics.

We made up stories and play acted them. We were everything from pirates to hoity toity society people. There were monsters in the woods and dragons in the sky.

It was a lot like today's role playing games but we made up the stories.

I am wondering how this influences future thinking and performance, today's kids still play that kind of games but in their heads, not physically, and some game developer wrote the possible stories.

Imagination is still used since you get transported to a fictitious place and time, but you don't have to make the whole thing up yourself.

Now, imagination is important, without it there would be no progress, we do need to know how to think outside the box for that.

But, does it also pave the way for religious delusion? Is it a part of both our progress and our detriment? How will the change in childhood activities affect the future?

Just musing here....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-04-2016, 10:38 AM
RE: Imagination
to take it directly to the kids or situational differences in computerized experiences.

That thrill of imagination is the great part of some hyper popular elements of vidia games like Minecraft. It's just that at times in the game when you are in the woods and explore the cave in your own imaginary boosted atmosphere of this unnamed region, you actually do uncover something inside that cave... but the whys and hows are still ticking in your own internal mind. And then you have those tools to create that story you came up with into something more.

But it does have a downside in the regards of "boredom" per say. You can fine that satisfaction there and not feel bored or dulled by that environment, I suppose that is where others lack mental exploration to similarity.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-04-2016, 10:59 AM
My two grandsons are polar opposites in this area. The oldest loves to play vide games and the middle child does not like them at all, he prefers imaginary play with small toys and blocks or role play with other children. Now the oldest still loves imaginary play but he's very drawn to the interactive RPG games too.

I think there room for both as they both are inventive and problem solving role play. The only down side I really see is to excessive video game play and lack of exercise. I think we do our children a disservice in this.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
30-04-2016, 12:33 PM
I was always a loner so I'd play outside for hours out in the field behind my parent's house. Just throwing dirt clods around and having all sorts of fun, pretending that I was blowing up tanks or spaceships, or whatever. Sometimes I'd get the army men out and blow them up with the clods. GREAT times. I'd do this until it got dark out, then go inside to play video games or with my toys. Whichever I was in the mood for. I think I had the best of both worlds.

Never really had much fun doing that kind of stuff with friends. They interfered with my imagination with their own imagination. If that makes any sense. Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
30-04-2016, 01:12 PM

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
30-04-2016, 03:06 PM
(30-04-2016 12:33 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I was always a loner so I'd play outside for hours out in the field behind my parent's house. Just throwing dirt clods around and having all sorts of fun, pretending that I was blowing up tanks or spaceships, or whatever. Sometimes I'd get the army men out and blow them up with the clods. GREAT times. I'd do this until it got dark out, then go inside to play video games or with my toys. Whichever I was in the mood for. I think I had the best of both worlds.

Never really had much fun doing that kind of stuff with friends. They interfered with my imagination with their own imagination. If that makes any sense. Laugh out load

We rotated - one day one kid would invent the story, the next day another... it worked out well.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-04-2016, 03:36 PM
My 4 year old is already a tablet addict, but when he's playing with his friends he's still got quite an active imagination. And even though he likes immersing himself in tablet games, the second I ask him if he wants to go hiking, foraging, bike riding, or to practice shooting his bow, he's already forgot about whatever game he was playing.

Hard to make a direct comparison, though. Even excluding the technology factor, his upbringing and childhood are taking place in a vastly different context than mine.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
30-04-2016, 04:22 PM
(30-04-2016 03:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 12:33 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I was always a loner so I'd play outside for hours out in the field behind my parent's house. Just throwing dirt clods around and having all sorts of fun, pretending that I was blowing up tanks or spaceships, or whatever. Sometimes I'd get the army men out and blow them up with the clods. GREAT times. I'd do this until it got dark out, then go inside to play video games or with my toys. Whichever I was in the mood for. I think I had the best of both worlds.

We rotated - one day one kid would invent the story, the next day another... it worked out well.

We usually went with the best storyteller. Each of us who had a play idea would describe it and then we voted. Smile

I play video games with my grandson when he's here, Mario Bros, Mario Cart and Donkey Kong are our favs but we play others.

I kill green pigs on my phone every night before bed. I'm an angry bird Laugh out load and yet I still love love love role play... oh wait, probably not quite what you meant. Big Grin

30-04-2016, 04:30 PM
(30-04-2016 04:22 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I still love love love role play... oh wait, probably not quite what you meant. Big Grin

Are you sure? Because this is the alternative:

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
30-04-2016, 04:37 PM
(30-04-2016 04:30 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 04:22 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I still love love love role play... oh wait, probably not quite what you meant. Big Grin

Are you sure? Because this is the alternative:

Silly boy.... that's not the role play I meant either. I was thinking less vanilla, much less than, what is that D&D. Renfests are role play too but very tame, well at least until the patrons go home, after dark is quite different. Angel