Imagination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2016, 09:32 AM
RE: Imagination
Indeed, I think it's one possible way religion got a start -- in a way, it's like the Jedi religion that's got a few adherents in England: Entertaining story grows legs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
01-05-2016, 10:21 AM
(01-05-2016 09:32 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Indeed, I think it's one possible way religion got a start -- in a way, it's like the Jedi religion that's got a few adherents in England: Entertaining story grows legs.

Yep. That's why I say that imagination is a two sided sword. While it is crucial for progress, it's also responsible for the religions which continue to hold us back....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
01-05-2016, 12:10 PM
When I was a kid, although I spent lots of time playing with my friends (be home by supper neighborhood), what we mostly did was sportsy stuff rather than role-playing games. We did sometimes tell each other dirty stories. I fed my imagination more through reading and writing.

Raising my own kid in Boston suburbs in the oughts, I could not tell him to be home by supper. Nobody's kids are playing in the neighborhood, everybody's kids are at soccer or ballet or Mandarin class or Hebrew school or computer camp, and those who aren't are tucked away inside their houses. Yet even the highly scheduled kids in my son's set were playing Spiderwick at recess in elementary school (where they would take roles as the characters and make their own stories), and in high school they are emailing each other their stories and scripts to critique, making videos, etc. I think the creative impulse is just way too strong in humans. Different technology and social mores change the modes of expression, but the need to express is constant.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
01-05-2016, 04:27 PM
(30-04-2016 11:34 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 11:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Got a brother. He's 53.

[Image: latspread_zpsf4bc73c5.jpg][Image: manlybro_zpse001c334.jpg]

Cute. I don't suppose he's atheist too by some chance?

He eats Gods for breakfast. He gives Chuck Norris his scraps.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-05-2016, 08:01 PM
This kind of childhood isn't that far in the past either. I always played outside, either with toy soldiers, or making dens in the woods.

I made a sniper's nest once, overlooking the old folk's home (just to thin the numbers).

I'd frequently bugger off into the woods with all my gear... Especially if it was pissing down with rain, that made it even better.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post