Imagination vs knowledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2012, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 08:29 PM by Zat.)
RE: Imagination vs knowledge
I remember, on the eve of the US attack on Afghanistan, I posted on a forum the following line:

"Screeeeeeam -- an 11-year old young girl is screaming as her mother's body is plastered on the living room wall, from the blast of a bomb that hit next to their house".

One of the members asked me to provide a link to prove that this happened!

He lacked the imagination to know that scenes like that were INEVITABLE in situations like that attack, with bombs raining down on the city.

That lack of imagination really staggered me -- how can anyone not know, not see, the whole video replayed in their minds as an imagination, based on countless of images from previous wars?

You may not have actual knowledge, but you could just allow your mind put 2 + 2 together!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
They are complimentary, and neither is greater than the other.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
09-02-2012, 08:39 PM
(09-02-2012 08:17 PM)Zat Wrote:  ... He lacked the imagination to know that scenes like that were INEVITABLE in situations like that attack, with bombs raining down on the city. ...

More likely he intentionally introduced a blind spot so he wouldn't have to deal with it.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
09-02-2012, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 08:45 PM by Zat.)
(09-02-2012 08:37 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  They are complimentary, and neither is greater than the other.

I hate to have to repeat this, but one of them can be acquired by reading a newspaper, the other is, well, either you have it or you don't. Rolleyes

(09-02-2012 08:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  More likely he intentionally introduced a blind spot so he wouldn't have to deal with it.

That's quite possible, GirlyMan, willful ignorance is nothing new to human beings. Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Plato’s allegory of the cave is a great example of imagination versus knowledge.

The short of the story is that prisoners in a cave only have shadows of the real world on the cave wall to create what they perceive as reality (imagination). One prisoner is released from the cave and gets to see the world in the light of day as it truly is (knowledge).

It’s in Book VII of The Republic.
Look it up on the web.

All philosophy is just a footnote to Plato.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
09-02-2012, 09:23 PM
(09-02-2012 08:40 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 08:37 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  They are complimentary, and neither is greater than the other.

I hate to have to repeat this, but one of them can be acquired by reading a newspaper, the other is, well, either you have it or you don't. Rolleyes

Could you not 'have' or 'not have' both?

And could both not be found in the pages of a newspaper?
09-02-2012, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 10:16 PM by Zat.)
Lady Jane, obviously, a new born baby does not have any imagination.

You do need SOME knowledge before imagination kicks in.

Imagination is the brain's ability to extrapolate from knowledge.

Everybody has the ability to acquire knowledge.

However, not everybody has this ability to extrapolate.

On the other hand, many people are extremely good at extrapolating from knowledge of 'what is' to 'what could be' or what is 'likely to become'.

Science fiction writes have been predicting, for decades, all the ills facing us today: environmental catastrophe, global climate change, proliferation of nuclear weapons, depletion of resources, overpopulation, etc., etc., etc.

Just read "Oryx and Crake" and "The year of the Flood" by Margaret Atwood, projecting current trends to likely outcome -- incredible imagination and a realistic assessment of what is likely to happen from 'what 'is'.
09-02-2012, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 10:45 PM by LadyJane.)
I guess what I meant is that there are different intelligences and not one is superior to the other. They all have a use and they can compliment each other or perhaps even compensate each other. They can also both be a great resilience.

I can see how they build on each other, of course. But one can take you very far and the other can also go far, but in maybe a different direction. I guess I don't see either one having or not having either knowledge or imagination, but more as on a spectrum. Sometimes either, for whatever reason, cannot be attained after a certain point for some individuals, but it still doesn't mean one is greater than the other. They are (as previously stated) incomparable.
10-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Let's look at it from a slightly different angle:

If I had to choose for my grandson to be born either rich, or intelligent (but not both), I would want him to be born intelligent and poor.

Why?

Because you can always hope to acquire money later in life, but you can't hope to become intelligent if you were not one to start with.

Similarly, with knowledge and imagination: knowledge can always be acquired, but imagination (even though it can be fostered to some degree) is something you have or you don't.
10-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Knowledge cannot always be acquired. There are learning disabilities that prevent knowing and *understanding* the knowledge. I'd say that both can be fostered to a certain point (hence the spectrum).

I would also pick intelligent VS rich (though neither has to do with imagination and knowledge specifically?) because even if rich was never acquired it seems intelligence can bring one closer to the truth, and IMO truth is a real freedom. Smile

I see you really value imagination, I do too. But I just don't think it is greater or lesser or even equal. They are just two different things in my opinion.

I LOVE designing things- tree houses, decks, furniture. I have the end result in my mind, then I tell my husband. He thinks my idea is brilliant (of course, right? Wink ) and might even wonder to himself how I can be so creative (lol). Then he gets the supplies and takes the steps to make this end result, because I just get completely frazzled with the 'how to's' of carpentry. Sure, I could probably learn and figure it all out (acquired knowledge) but I would never do it like him as easily or maybe as safely (I'm a bit of a hazard around the tool yard, already nearly lost two fingers Sad ).