Imagination vs knowledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2012, 12:00 PM
RE: Imagination vs knowledge
I dont' get how they compare. Gaining knowledge doesn't lessen your imagination.

I disagree with the statement though.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Imagination is nice to a degree but, like a rudderless ship, it invariably goes nowhere if there is nothing to direct it.
I would think that a bit of knowledge is the rudder so the imagination can be focused and directed otherwise it is simply a mental tool for entertainment.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
[+] 2 users Like Dragon-Wolf's post
10-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Knowledge is compartmentalized imagination.

Knowledge is acquired, imagination can be developed but ... it is a subjective function and therefore less tangible.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Wether you disagree with the statement or not.......i just love that it gets me thinking in deeper ways.

Its this "thinking"....this imagination that can create huge insights......that brings together almost "static, inert, unchanging" knowledge from the past and mixes it with intuition....emotions....experience.

I went to a local cob/roll shop two streets away from me today and I brought a large cheese and onion cob/roll on brown with mayonaise. Whilst I was there I bought two danish pastries for afterwards.

My last statement is about 20 minutes of my life today......I have shared knowledge with you of everything I did in that time in 39 words.

Knowledge is like a direction.....imagination is the journey.....as it may picture the streets I walked down....the cob shop I entered.....the taste of the cob......how sticky the danish pastries are.

as long as there is a concious observer Knowledge is eternal.....I could spend my whole life alone on this earth and at the end of it I would still have knowledge.....however maybe my imagination is just the tool I use to play around with it......and what a powerfull and amazing tool it is Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
25-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Some interesting information on this in the documentary Walking with Cavemen Smile
26-07-2012, 12:07 AM
(25-07-2012 11:36 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Some interesting information on this in the documentWalking with Cavemen Smile

Always pimpin' the Cavemen, eh?.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-07-2012, 12:12 AM
(26-07-2012 12:07 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 11:36 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Some interesting information on this in the documentWalking with Cavemen Smile

Always pimpin' the Cavemen, eh?.

This is usually where I reply something like "It's all that hair and extra thick bone." But then what I said always ends up working against me. Sad I used to be so innocent....
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
26-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Knowledge is more important than imagination. Both faculties are present and have different functions. But I would rather know where the cliff edge is than imagine it.
26-07-2012, 12:35 AM
(26-07-2012 12:20 AM)ohellino Wrote:  Knowledge is more important than imagination. Both faculties are present and have different functions. But I would rather know where the cliff edge is than imagine it.

In the documentary I mentioned, it claims that imagination was the key that set our evolutionary movement onto the human path. It's what made our brains grow and was a key ingredient, along with knowledge, to intelligence.
26-07-2012, 04:17 AM
(26-07-2012 12:35 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  ... imagination was the key that set our evolutionary movement onto the human path. It's what made our brains grow and was a key ingredient, along with knowledge, to intelligence.

Once I imagined I had knowledge...
had I become more intelligent?

Once I knew I had imagination...
that was my awakening.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post