Imagination vs knowledge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Imagination vs knowledge
Saw a t-shirt design on the 'net the other day that said "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

What do you peeps think.....is imagination more important than knowledge???

Initially I thought down the routes of the "chicken or the egg" relationship between the two.....imagination can create knowledge however with knowledge first must greater things can be imagined.

Is knowledge a by-product of imagination and therefore proving the slogan as correct??? Huh

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2012, 02:22 PM
RE: Imagination vs knowledge
(09-02-2012 02:08 PM)bemore Wrote:  Saw a t-shirt design on the 'net the other day that said "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

Initially I thought down the routes of the "chicken or the egg" relationship between the two.....imagination can create knowledge however with knowledge first must greater things can be imagined.

Is knowledge a by-product of imagination and therefore proving the slogan as correct??? Huh

They are not comparable. Simplistically, knowledge encompasses the known - facts, relationships, ... - while imagination allows us to see what isn't, what might be, what can't be.

Imagination doesn't bring knowledge, but can certainly lead to knowledge by sending one down paths not known.

Not very elegantly stated; might have to think about it more.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-02-2012, 02:25 PM
(09-02-2012 02:08 PM)bemore Wrote:  Saw a t-shirt design on the 'net the other day that said "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

No. You cannot have a functioning society without knowledge.

It's like the political compass test question, "The businessperson and the manufacturer are more important than the writer and the artist."

While I'm a writer, I'm aware that in a functioning society, you have to have a manufacturer and businesspeople. The writer and the artist are luxuries that expand imagination.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-02-2012, 02:29 PM
My vote goes to imagination. Without it I'm not sure who I'd be.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
09-02-2012, 02:29 PM
(09-02-2012 02:29 PM)lucradis Wrote:  My vote goes to imagination. Without it I'm not sure who I'd be.

Without knowledge, how could you know?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Without knowledge I'd just be a dumbass which isn't that far from where I am now.
Without imagination I'd be ... Boring.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
09-02-2012, 05:19 PM
You can always acquire knowledge.

If you haven't got it, imagination is harder to come by.
[+] 2 users Like Zat's post
09-02-2012, 05:22 PM
(09-02-2012 05:19 PM)Zat Wrote:  You can always acquire knowledge.

If you haven't got it, imagination is harder to come by.

But without knowledge you can't apply your imagination.

09-02-2012, 05:25 PM
(09-02-2012 05:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But without knowledge you can't apply your imagination.

That's true, KC, but one lack can be remedied and the other can't (not easily, anyway).
09-02-2012, 05:25 PM
(09-02-2012 05:25 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 05:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But without knowledge you can't apply your imagination.

That's true, KC, but one lack can be remedied and the other can't (not easily, anyway).

But one is useless without the other. The other can stand on its own.