Imagine...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Imagine...
Imagine you are on your death bed. You are pain free.

You know that you are dying, you can't feel your feet and hands and you can feel the numbness taking over your body. The physical aspects don't scare you.

Now, that the world doesn't matter anymore, you don't much think or care about worldly things, what would you rather be, theist or atheist? What do you imagine they are thinking?

I imagine it this way:

The theist thinks: "Did I do everything I needed to do to please god? What about my sins? What about my xxxx (insert sins like looking at the neighbor's wife with sex in mind, etc etc)? Where is the bright light? Where are my parents? "

The atheist thinks: " So that was it. Strange that things that upset me yesterday are totally irrelevant now. I wish I had finished that bottle of wine and the chocolates. I feel kind of good, all the tension is leaving my body, just relaxing now..."

What do you imagine goes through their heads?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
23-10-2012, 07:49 AM
RE: Imagine...
I did imagine...
Now I'm depressed Confused

It's hard to think of everything ending. It's stupid, but part of me still wishes there were some way I could avoid death. But there isn't.

I'm probably going to think of my loved ones. Then I'm going to cry because it was all so awesome, and now it's over. It's like reading a new Terry Pratchett book or having really great sex. It's sad once it's over. Just multiply that by infinity because nothing awesome is ever going to happen again.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 5 users Like Smooshmonster's post
23-10-2012, 07:55 AM
If only it happened that way. So often death is accompanied by pain/discomfort. Ours is not a perfect world. but onto your question:

I would expect (from my PoV) that the theist should feel great anticipation of the approaching onset of the "afterlife". Doesn't really happen that way though. I never got the religious prohibition of suicide. within the context of "heaven". People should want to get there as fast as possible right? But the crafters of modern day religion had to keep the masses working and tithing for as long as possible in order to fund greater and bigger cathedrals.

If I was in your scenario, I'd simply like to express my love for my loved ones and ask them to continue the good fight and make themselves, those around them and the human condition better than it was before them. Possibly a little regret for decisions made/unmade as well but at this point I'd hope I kept those feelings in the background.
23-10-2012, 07:58 AM
(23-10-2012 07:49 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  It's like reading a new Terry Pratchett book or having really great sex. It's sad once it's over.
I never understood that stereotype that women cry after having sex. I still don't. Undecided

As for Terry Pratchett, I agree. Especially after I finished reading the books which involved Moist von Lipwig.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-10-2012, 08:15 AM
(23-10-2012 07:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 07:49 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  It's like reading a new Terry Pratchett book or having really great sex. It's sad once it's over.
I never understood that stereotype that women cry after having sex. I still don't. Undecided

As for Terry Pratchett, I agree. Especially after I finished reading the books which involved Moist von Lipwig.

Still a Rincewind fan. Always will be. Interesting Times was amazing.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-10-2012, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 08:22 AM by Dom.)
Guys, you are past caring about the world. That's one of the rules, and, from what I can see, it always happens at some point. It's already all gone, past and irrelevant anymore. There comes a time when you have zero interest in the world you are leaving, you are only focussed only on what's within your own personal brain, and you are trying to follow, understand and anticipate what is happening to you.

As atheist, I suppose there is no fear of hell. I think there would be a lot more curiosity about what is happening.

I imagine as Christian, where even thoughts are sin, you would be quite worried about where you are going. Everyone has sinful thoughts me thinks. You'd be waiting for that "bright light", and if it doesn't materialize that ought to scare the dickens outta you.

You are at the threshhold of finding out the big secret - what's on the other side. Nothing else matters.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-10-2012, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 08:39 AM by Vosur.)
(23-10-2012 08:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  I imagine as Christian, where even thoughts are sin, you would be quite worried about where you are going. Everyone has sinful thoughts me thinks. You'd be waiting for that "bright light", and if it doesn't materialize that ought to scare the dickens outta you.
Deponds on the denomination, I guess. Calvinists who believe that they will end up in heaven regardless of their earthly actions shouldn't be worrying about such matters. As for the "bright light", not sure if that's part of any Christian belief system. But I get what you mean. I suppose you would be scared shitless if you had doubts about the existence of an afterlife in your last seconds when that's what you've been reassuring yourself with for your entire life. By the way, Seth made a video about the afterlife a while ago. I think it is very inspiring and points one thing out: An eternity in heaven would be equal to an eternity in hell. Watch for yourself.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-10-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't want to play by the rules. I would be worried about my kid. But by your rules I wouldn't.

I'm pretty sure that I might still be worried about hell. I don't believe in the likelyhood as nothing even remotely hints to there being one, but There isn't any actual way to 100% know until it happens. I don't think I'd be that worried about it though. I might be more hoping that they cremate me, and no funeral like I want, or that cremation doesn't hurt me somehow or something like that. This is hard to do with these rules dangit.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
23-10-2012, 08:49 AM
(23-10-2012 08:40 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I don't want to play by the rules. I would be worried about my kid. But by your rules I wouldn't.

I'm pretty sure that I might still be worried about hell. I don't believe in the likelyhood as nothing even remotely hints to there being one, but There isn't any actual way to 100% know until it happens. I don't think I'd be that worried about it though. I might be more hoping that they cremate me, and no funeral like I want, or that cremation doesn't hurt me somehow or something like that. This is hard to do with these rules dangit.

Ah, you haven't transcended the point where the world doesn't matter anymore. You won't give a shit about cremation. You have moved past worrying about your kid. You are not conscious of the world, people think you have slipped into a coma, but your brain is working and trying to anticipate what is going to happen, if anything.

Yeah, if you once believed in hell I suppose it would cross your mind.

I can't relate well to that since i never really believed it, or if i did, I don't remember.

23-10-2012, 08:51 AM
(23-10-2012 08:36 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 08:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  I imagine as Christian, where even thoughts are sin, you would be quite worried about where you are going. Everyone has sinful thoughts me thinks. You'd be waiting for that "bright light", and if it doesn't materialize that ought to scare the dickens outta you.
Deponds on the denomination, I guess. Calvinists who believe that they will end up in heaven regardless of their earthly actions shouldn't be worrying about such matters. As for the "bright light", not sure if that's part of any Christian belief system. But I get what you mean. I suppose you would be scared shitless if you had doubts about the existence of an afterlife in your last seconds when that's what you've been reassuring yourself with for your entire life. By the way, Seth made a video about the afterlife a while ago. I think it is very inspiring and points one thing out: An eternity in heaven would be equal to an eternity in hell. Watch for yourself.

I can't get that to play for some reason.

But yeah, I can see how heaven would be equal to hell. If you maintained human emotions (and with all of god's jealousy and wrath etc that would seem likely) you'd be bored to death. Good is only good because bad is bad.