Imagine a world without religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2010, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2010 02:38 PM by Nealson.)
Imagine a world without religion?
I sometimes ponder on the idea that if religion had not been invented, how the world would look today?

Would our sciences be that more advanced? I believe they would to some extent.

Would sunday be just another day and there for not regarded as a day of rest like it is even amongst non believers?

Would our governments be more efficient and not in some cases backed by secretive cults? (conspiracy rant in its infancy)

Education improved?

I welcome all ideas as to what it could be like in a world without religion. Pros and Cons on all aspects of society.

It's easy to think people are listening to you, but in actual fact they are just waiting for their turn to speak.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2010, 08:04 PM

RE: Imagine a world without religion?
I have mixed feelings, I guess, probably because I'm under-educated about the role the clergy played in medieval Europe.

It does seem that antagonism between science and religion began as science entered the realm of origins. Before that point, the religious seemed to provide some force of education for the masses, but again, I'm not very educated on this topic. I'll come back and read what others have to say.

That said, I'm not sure that it would have been possible for man to be "unreligious." I think this tendency is part of our evolutionary story, albeit one that we can now leave behind.
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2010, 01:33 AM

Speculation about counterfactual hypotheses is fun, but ... mostly not very useful.

If the existing religions of today were not invented, it seems likely to me that there would be others to take their place. There are many reasons for people to invent such things.
11-10-2010, 07:01 AM

A world where religion was never invented would be a world where homo sapiens never evolved. Simple as that. As curious creatures, we always seek explanations to our existence, and until our technology advances to a certain point, religion is the only explanation that may be provided.
11-10-2010, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2010 07:09 PM by Nealson.)
I suppose it is useless to dwell on the 'could haves' But as a species do you think we would be any better off if we were all athiests? Or indeed believed in just one god?

Having man's god taken away and replaced with athiesm would still leave him with greed jealousy and of course stupidity so I assume even if there were no wars to fight in the name of god, we would find another name to fight in, for instance the name 'oil'.
Education systems would not be clouded with the upset religion can cause and would be able to teach to open minded thinking audience. There would be a higher percentage of great minds leaving schools, colleges, and universities to go out and create and invent. to better the world possibly? And so on

On the contrary, we all believe in the same god. The world is happy in the knowledge that everyone believes and agrees on at least one thing and every person has one thing in common. Comforting to know to some extent. But would this make us dumb? Not needing to find out answers?

I believe that our survival as a species is not so much based on our beliefs but how we are genetically comprised. Free thinking would be ideal among all minds. But our emotions decide what we do with this knowledge. We cannot evolve into Vulcans and adopt a logic based society because it is in our nature to destroy ourselves. physically, mentally even down to the smallest impure thought that leads to a small action can create big waves. The human body and mind is capable of even greater feats than we can possibly imagine. yet we are more than content to rack and ruin ourselves.

Is arguing for or against religion really worth it? We are all human at the end of the day. a new belief system needs to be established and that is the belief in ourselves.

It's easy to think people are listening to you, but in actual fact they are just waiting for their turn to speak.
12-10-2010, 08:55 AM

(10-10-2010 02:05 PM)Nealson Wrote:  I sometimes ponder on the idea that if religion had not been invented, how the world would look today?

I welcome all ideas as to what it could be like in a world without religion. Pros and Cons on all aspects of society.

... No religion has ever existed anywhere in the world at any time in recorded history, and the result is what you see.
... If a religion had existed, we would now be living in a superhuman civilization with superhuman powers that could boast of having achieved superhuman objectives.

............. Civilized Man ..............
... Early Autumn, Libra 20, 2010 ...
(That's October 12 on your retarded Papist calendar)
12-10-2010, 12:25 PM

(12-10-2010 08:55 AM)Civilized Man Wrote:  
(10-10-2010 02:05 PM)Nealson Wrote:  I sometimes ponder on the idea that if religion had not been invented, how the world would look today?

... No religion has ever existed anywhere in the world at any time in recorded history, and the result is what you see.
... If a religion had existed, we would now be living in a superhuman civilization with superhuman powers that could boast of having achieved superhuman objectives.

What?
12-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Quote:... If a religion had existed, we would now be living in a superhuman civilization with superhuman powers that could boast of having achieved superhuman objectives.

Can I be Spiderman? I really want to be Spiderman.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
12-10-2010, 09:56 PM

(11-10-2010 07:04 PM)Nealson Wrote:  Having man's god taken away and replaced with athiesm would still leave him with greed jealousy and of course stupidity so I assume even if there were no wars to fight in the name of god, we would find another name to fight in, for instance the name 'oil'.

Absolutely. Belief in god doesn't make a person moral, and neither does atheism. Being an atheist just gives people fewer reasons to ignore morality.
12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
(12-10-2010 08:55 AM)Civilized Man Wrote:  

You mean ''if a religion had been true...''?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.