Imagine if mormonism was the world governing religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2014, 03:26 PM
RE: Imagine if mormonism was the world governing religion
Christianity is defined most easily as "The religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus Christ, or its beliefs and practices." I'd say that while it is insanely whacky and has its own book, it is still based on the bibal and on Jewsus' "teaching"; it only has extra bullshit spackled on. I don't think that it has quite gone far enough to speciate into a new religion.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2014, 03:33 PM
(30-09-2014 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 02:55 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  And, don't forget, Catholicism is headed by the anti-Christ.

Just because a bunch of evangelical Christians attack it, doesn't mean that it's not a form of Christianity.

It is so bizarrely un-Biblical that calling it Christianity is misleading at best.

It is no more a Christian sect than Islam is.

Almost all of the mainline Christian sects originated in communities (at least the early ones did). Community authentication was the way "heresy" was defined, (and excluded)... or so they thought. Ole Joe just made up shit he got from the 19th Century's fascination with ancient Egypt, and foisted it on his followers. He said he "translated" his Egyptian texts, and he (as well as everyone else), had no clue how to read hieroglyphs until the Rosetta Stone was discovered, AFTER he made up his lies. He was an uneducated dolt, who wasn't even aware of what was already being taught in the schools on the East Coast. He was a philandering fool who wanted to screw his wife's friends, and so he did. much to her chagrin.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-09-2014, 03:54 PM
People from all over the world would have to go to Salt Lake City for their pilgrimage. We'd be like the new Israel, except with crappier food.

(To clarify, that was the first thought that came to mind simply because I freaking love Israeli food, and am pretty much always thinking about food in general)

'Murican Canadian
30-09-2014, 03:58 PM
(30-09-2014 03:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 01:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They also believe jebus is brother to satan and god is married and had lots of spirit children in the celestial temple/kingdom

For years and years before Mitt Romney, Mormonism was on most evangelical christian websites as a cult. In fact, quite the hoopla was started when the Billy Graham organization revamped their cult list and removed Mormonism before the last presidential election.

Mormonism is Christianity on an LSD trip.

Well The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, within the Mormon church at least, is abbreviated as LDS, making normal people that see LDS on shirts, tietacs, whathaveyou very confused. Coincidence? Gasp Actually, I think that was a line in a Star Trek movie, the one with the whales. When Kirk was lying about Spock he was all, "I think he did a bit too much LDS." Spock did too much Mormonism.

But seriously though, I think it would be scary in a sense to have a world where Mormonism was the dominate religion. They already have the mentality that it is the only correct religion in the world and that there is nothing worse you can do (well, practically nothing) than learn the doctrine and then deny it. It's scary enough being a believer and allowing yourself to leave the church with that fact ingrained into you plus pressure to stay/go back from it's members (especially if your family belongs to it). I think if it was on a global scale, that sense of "we're right everyone else is wrong" would only feel more true, making ever more hard to leave the church, and perhaps they would enforce it on people more. Y'know, instead of just allowing the person to let their thoughts trap them in the church, actually allow some sort of earthly punishment for trying to leave. But yeah, I think it might not be as bad as if Islam had control of the world but it wouldn't be all too awesome. Plus, if Mormonism was dominate in the world, what would happen to that penis festival in Japan or all the lovely perverted things in the world?Sad

[Image: notagain.gif]
30-09-2014, 04:11 PM
I think we need is a clear definition of what it means to be Christian. We mostly agree on what Mormonism is... what we're disagreeing on is whether "Christian", as a category, is broad enough to cover it or not.

I tend to use the following guidelines, with the understanding that some people will want something narrower or broader.

1) Identifies as Christian. Check. Mormons regard themselves as Christian. Muslims, do not.
2) Believes, at least loosely, in the Bible narrative as at least a source of moral and behavioral teachings, and possibly as a true account of history and the cosmos. Check, even if they tacked some stuff onto it. This one also applies to Islam.
3) Believes, in some manner, in the existence of a powerful divine being on at least roughly the lines of the god depicted in the Bible. Check, for both Mormons and Muslims.
4) Regards Jesus Christ, at least somewhat as depicted in the Bible, as the central, principle teacher of their religion, and specially chosen or annointed above all other teachers by above-mentioned god: Check for Mormonism. Does not apply for Islam, which regards Jesus as just one more in a string of prophets who didn't get it right, before Muhammad showed up as the ultimate, nailed-it-perfectly prophet.

So no, whatever gap there might be between Mormonism and Christianity, the one between Islam and Christianity is much larger.

This is, indeed, a very broad definition of Christianity. It does not include Biblical literalism or exclusivity... in part, because I think any definition of Christianity that does not include liberal Christians is too narrow by far. I'm sure we can argue semantics of what being a Christian even means. But to say Mormonism is as far from Christianity as Islam is, is just absurd.

And dammit, I got beaten to the LDS joke.

EDIT: I think ANY world with a dominate religion would be scary. (.... maybe Unitarian-Universalism.)
30-09-2014, 04:30 PM
(30-09-2014 03:58 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  They [Mormons] already have the mentality that it is the only correct religion in the world and that there is nothing worse you can do (well, practically nothing) than learn the doctrine and then deny it.

Not to deny any of your other points, but doesn't just about every religion have this mentality? That, to my mind, is one of the major problems with religion in general.
30-09-2014, 06:58 PM

They could baptize all the dead Holocaust victims. I heard that Anne Frank could now be a Mormon. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/reli...53226808/1

don't believe everything you think
30-09-2014, 07:37 PM
(30-09-2014 06:58 PM)church_organ Wrote:  RE: Imagine if mormonism was the world governing religion

They could baptize all the dead Holocaust victims. I heard that Anne Frank could now be a Mormon. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/reli...53226808/1

Which must be a little awkward since Hitler has also been posthumously baptised Mormon...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g