Imagine if we had no imagination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2016, 12:02 PM
Imagine if we had no imagination
Our imagination let's us consider the consequences of our actions before we take action.

What kind of life would we have if we couldn't do that ?

That same life saving skill also gives us religion, a belief in an after life, as well as so many other creative aspects.

The collective works of what we call a Bible were assembled by men. They picked which stories would be bound together and it was a book made by committee. I think most theists would agree to this.

We also know historically why they did this.
I believe it was a reaction to Marcion. He was making his own bible and the church didn't want his version to be THE version read by the masses, so they built their own book. There was no commandment from a god for them to do this. They did it on their own.

Now later we add in imagination. These stories were inspired by a god. Really ? How do you know that ?
How did you determine which stories were inspired and which were not ? How did you test them ? Or did you just label them that way. You used your imagination and painted the stories with holy light.

Religion uses our survival skill of being able to consider the consequences of our actions, using our imagination, in a way to convince us of an imaginary danger or paradise that awaits us after death.

It's the same method con men have used for ages.

Who knew imagination could be so powerful ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
28-08-2016, 01:25 PM
RE: Imagine if we had no imagination
It's also the basis of science and progress. It can make us or break us. It's a thinking tool. What if.......

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Paradox alert!

Paradox alert!

Imagining without imagination impossible!

Paradox alert!

Paradox alert!

Smile

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 6 users Like Gloucester's post
28-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Tongue I'll pretend I'm Girly and post this....just the video I imagine he would post.

Edit: For those who are new here, Girlyman is our video posting king. He posts more videos than anyone else on the forum.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Yeah, nope...I got nothing.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-08-2016, 04:26 PM
(28-08-2016 01:40 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Hey, you stole my generic response idea. Now I'll have to come up with a unique one... nah too much work.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
28-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Every time I imagine I have no imagination I find that I can't imagine it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
28-08-2016, 07:11 PM
(28-08-2016 12:02 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Our imagination let's us consider the consequences of our actions before we take action.

What kind of life would we have if we couldn't do that ?

That same life saving skill also gives us religion, a belief in an after life, as well as so many other creative aspects.

The collective works of what we call a Bible were assembled by men. They picked which stories would be bound together and it was a book made by committee. I think most theists would agree to this.

We also know historically why they did this.
I believe it was a reaction to Marcion. He was making his own bible and the church didn't want his version to be THE version read by the masses, so they built their own book. There was no commandment from a god for them to do this. They did it on their own.

Now later we add in imagination. These stories were inspired by a god. Really ? How do you know that ?
How did you determine which stories were inspired and which were not ? How did you test them ? Or did you just label them that way. You used your imagination and painted the stories with holy light.

Religion uses our survival skill of being able to consider the consequences of our actions, using our imagination, in a way to convince us of an imaginary danger or paradise that awaits us after death.

It's the same method con men have used for ages.

Who knew imagination could be so powerful ?

It's like any other tool I guess. It can be used for good purposes or bad. Just like one can use his mind to discover how to build a printing press, grow a crop, smelt iron or cure disease or rob a bank or pull a con.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
28-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Please miss, I have a question.
(at the risk of off-topicking away from theism and into philosophy/science)

What is imagination?

Presumably, as a thinking tool, it's an emergent app evolved from our pattern-recognition software that enables us to project to future possible scenarios ... from "if/then" to "what if?".

But how does that work? What's the chemical mechanism?

How acutely can we imagine (recognise a potential pattern) that we have not personally experienced or (via presumably mirror neurons) seen someone experiencing?

How do we get to pleasure/pain imaginings from the words on a page?

I'm not sure I can see an internal model for this.

aka, I'm not imagining it.

Consider

28-08-2016, 08:02 PM
I was a extremely, hyper, super imaginative kid. There was no TV or radio and my parents were atheist and agnostic so I wasn't exposed to religion at all or even a god concept until age 10 or 11. When I discovered people believed in a god I knew right away that it was borne from human imagination. I knew instantly. Imagination was the language my mind spoke, my mother tongue, and I recognized it in other genres. Religion is the human imagination working to soften fear. That's all it it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post