Imagine if we had no imagination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2016, 02:58 AM
RE: Imagine if we had no imagination
Quote:

Thanks ALOT Glouc...just fucking GREAT. EXACTLY what I needed.

Now I have a grape phobia.

What a pal.

Smartass
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2016, 03:01 AM
(30-08-2016 02:54 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Having a bit if a strange prob with this tablet, causes double posting!

Cab't imagine what cayses it . . .

Obviously, you are very drunk. I can see two of you. Smokin
30-08-2016, 03:23 AM
(30-08-2016 02:48 AM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  I believe the best way to understand imagination is to experience it in its most exquisite form, lucid dreaming. With lucid dreaming in mind, one could reasonably conclude that our imagination works by creating a set of virtual objects and/or realities within our minds that we experience more or less the same way we experience reality.

I never quite know how best to introduce solipsism in discussions like these, but there you go, I just did. It seems relevant. Or maybe I'm just too lazy to finish my own thoughts. Whichever pleases the mind reading these words is fine by me.
I also have lucid dreams, plus cognitive dreams.

My interpretation of dreams us that your brain is trying a re-iterative, "what-if" process on events it does not understand.

In the year before my heart attack I suffered "threatening" nightmares most nights. I would wake up in a cold sweat, shaking in fear, praying to whatever it was that plagued me to let me sleep. But afraid to do so in case the dreams started again. Somehow my pragmatism and rationality kept me sane. After the heart attack, no more similar problems.

Unknown to my conscious mind I was suffering the symptoms of micro heart attacks (culminating in two very large, almost fatal ones in the end.) So, having no conscious understanding in my mind my unconcious insisted on trying to find an answer and produced all kinds of warning signals. Tried to imagine, re-iteratively, what the real problem might be.

Later I suffered periods of breathlessness whilst asleep. My dreams then were of climbing ladders or cliffs, running, cycling very fast, even having normal but vigorous sex . . . Anything that might account for the breathlessness.

Yes, the brain was trying to imagine.

Dreams can be important analytical tools, but no-way in the Freudian sense! Just in the sense of trying to, unconciously, analyse and rationalise events in real life that are not fully understood by the concious mind.

When truly "daydreaming" one wonders if the concious/unconscious barrier is lowered a little, allowing the former to "imagine" things it would not otherwise contemplate?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.