[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
08-11-2011, 09:36 PM
RE: Imagine no religion [gone baaaad]
(08-11-2011 06:42 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(08-11-2011 03:12 AM)Atheist#6667 Wrote:  
(08-11-2011 01:09 AM)kineo Wrote:  I suppose it doesn't really matter, he's apparently just trolling anyway. Big Grin

yeah sure ok guy, my opinion is now trolling, ok check.

To be fair, you didn't share an opinion. You called something lame, and someone asked what you were refering to. You still haven't answered either.

My opinion was that something was lame. It was of no importance to anyone however, because after that I wrote another sentence.

Care to know what it says????

lame. oh wait that is offensive to lame people. uh...you know what nevermind.

So that is trolling eh? I must refine my definition to include being about to go into a semi-relevant rant about the back and forth between cantor and liberal and changing my mind.
09-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Ya I know exactly what the other sentence said. Passive agressive much?

You see, if you really meant the, " uh...you know what nevermind" part, you wouldn't have posted at all.

Instead you chose the "I'm gonna be an antagonistic little prick" route, and posted your snide little comment so that you'd get some attention. Sounds like a troll to me. Sorry, but if it quacks like a duck....

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-11-2011, 02:51 AM
Looking at it I dont think I could afford to weigh up the pros and cons in that moment........If I was in a bad mood I would tell them to fuck right off.....if I was in a good mood I would probably try to help them.

Just because society says they are "bad" people doesnt mean that i have to agree with them....fuck what other people think Im my own man and I stand by my own decisions.

Would I kill them like people have mentioned in the thread???

No.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
09-11-2011, 08:26 PM
For the sake of sanity, I'd like to point out "killing creationists" is merely thought experiment to keep the thinking honed. The fact that thinking needs to be honed is quite obvious in this thread as no actual pre-meditated murder was advocated.

Thank you.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-11-2011, 11:36 PM
(09-11-2011 08:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  For the sake of sanity, I'd like to point out "killing creationists" is merely thought experiment to keep the thinking honed. The fact that thinking needs to be honed is quite obvious in this thread as no actual pre-meditated murder was advocated.

Thank you.

Personally, I never believed that anyone actually had any real thought or desire to kill someone. But the direction in the thought experiment was quickly moved toward a direction that was a bit jarring to me. I thought that as atheists we would see the value of each life, since we know that each life has only that one life to live. An entity's conscious existence ends at death. It should be no surprise to me that not everyone shares that viewpoint.

I'm not a pacifist (pacifist is not a dirty word to me, I do respect that viewpoint), and I do believe that there are people who wish to cause harm with any number of motivations, so I know that unfortunately sometimes killing can be, or at least seem to be, necessary. But the situations in which it could be necessary seem very limited to me. This is coming from someone who enjoys playing war video games with simulated battle fields...

In any case, the variety of responses disappointed me a bit at first. I can't see how murdering people in need is in any way a logical response. It must be a purely emotional response, maybe anger at past sins of the religious directed at the religious and not at the belief systems. If murder is the hypothetical response someone gives, then I cannot respect that response when there are other alternatives such as simply shutting your door or even better, offering a safe haven.

I'm aware that assumptions have to be made to reach any conclusion: Do the people in need present themselves as friendly? Is there danger to you or your family for helping them? Are you willing to accept that risk? Maybe even more, but I can't think of any more at the moment.

I guess a persons response can be analyzed by determining which assumptions are being made and what risks they're willing to take, and the reasons given for why that response was chosen.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
(09-11-2011 11:36 PM)kineo Wrote:  Personally, I never believed that anyone actually had any real thought or desire to kill someone. But the direction in the thought experiment was quickly moved toward a direction that was a bit jarring to me. I thought that as atheists we would see the value of each life, since we know that each life has only that one life to live. An entity's conscious existence ends at death. It should be no surprise to me that not everyone shares that viewpoint.

I'm not a pacifist (pacifist is not a dirty word to me, I do respect that viewpoint), and I do believe that there are people who wish to cause harm with any number of motivations, so I know that unfortunately sometimes killing can be, or at least seem to be, necessary. But the situations in which it could be necessary seem very limited to me. This is coming from someone who enjoys playing war video games with simulated battle fields...

In any case, the variety of responses disappointed me a bit at first. I can't see how murdering people in need is in any way a logical response. It must be a purely emotional response, maybe anger at past sins of the religious directed at the religious and not at the belief systems. If murder is the hypothetical response someone gives, then I cannot respect that response when there are other alternatives such as simply shutting your door or even better, offering a safe haven.

I'm aware that assumptions have to be made to reach any conclusion: Do the people in need present themselves as friendly? Is there danger to you or your family for helping them? Are you willing to accept that risk? Maybe even more, but I can't think of any more at the moment.

I guess a persons response can be analyzed by determining which assumptions are being made and what risks they're willing to take, and the reasons given for why that response was chosen.

I'm thinking atheists agree there is no "afterlife." Wink

For myself, there's math involved; in simple terms, what we're doing now, what we call life, is part of a larger calculation. This may make me seem callous at times in my assessments, but in no wise am I gonna rush out and send somebody off "to higher learning." Tongue

My judgment in this thread is mere extrapolation from current paradigm - the theist is not your friend. That is all.

10-11-2011, 02:19 PM
(09-11-2011 11:36 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(09-11-2011 08:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  For the sake of sanity, I'd like to point out "killing creationists" is merely thought experiment to keep the thinking honed. The fact that thinking needs to be honed is quite obvious in this thread as no actual pre-meditated murder was advocated.

Thank you.
Houseofcantor - it may well have been a thought experiment for all I know. However seeing as you deliberately choose to make all your posts incomprehensible, I rather tend to the opinion that you are in fact a Troll, with a veil of plausible deniability. Worse I would not be at all surprised if your turned out to be a Creationist agent provacateur, and that in six months someone turns up on a Creationist site showing evidence that Atheists are desperate to commit violence against religious people.

Kineo - Thanks for bringing this up. Seeing as Houseofcantor is on my ignore list I would not have seen it otherwise.

(09-11-2011 11:36 PM)kineo Wrote:  Personally, I never believed that anyone actually had any real thought or desire to kill someone.
Same here. I diagnosed at least one case of it as trolling. Others struck me as rather raw emotion. And the dynamics between emotion and reason were what I was seeking to explore in this scenario.

(09-11-2011 11:36 PM)kineo Wrote:  But the direction in the thought experiment was quickly moved toward a direction that was a bit jarring to me. I thought that as atheists we would see the value of each life, since we know that each life has only that one life to live.
Exactly that is what I think we could call "positive atheism".

(09-11-2011 11:36 PM)kineo Wrote:  I'm not a pacifist (pacifist is not a dirty word to me, I do respect that viewpoint), and I do believe that there are people who wish to cause harm with any number of motivations, so I know that unfortunately sometimes killing can be, or at least seem to be, necessary. But the situations in which it could be necessary seem very limited to me. This is coming from someone who enjoys playing war video games with simulated battle fields...
Dungeons and Dragons and board games in my case, but hey!

(09-11-2011 11:36 PM)kineo Wrote:  In any case, the variety of responses disappointed me a bit at first. I can't see how murdering people in need is in any way a logical response. It must be a purely emotional response, maybe anger at past sins of the religious directed at the religious and not at the belief systems. If murder is the hypothetical response someone gives, then I cannot respect that response when there are other alternatives such as simply shutting your door or even better, offering a safe haven.

Kineo, thanks. A really good post.
10-11-2011, 02:38 PM
(10-11-2011 02:19 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  
(09-11-2011 11:36 PM)kineo Wrote:  

Thank you.
Houseofcantor - it may well have been a thought experiment for all I know. However seeing as you deliberately choose to make all your posts incomprehensible, I rather tend to the opinion that you are in fact a Troll, with a veil of plausible deniability. Worse I would not be at all surprised if your turned out to be a Creationist agent provacateur, and that in six months someone turns up on a Creationist site showing evidence that Atheists are desperate to commit violence against religious people.

Kineo - Thanks for bringing this up. Seeing as Houseofcantor is on my ignore list I would not have seen it otherwise.
Thank you. I don't like disliking people - this continues to be less of a problem. I consider that I am on your ignore list because I am an asshole and you do not like assholes. That is a rational assessment. Thinking I am a creationist - that ain't rational. But it is your mind - atheist to atheist - I trust you to use it.