Imagine super-intelligent aliens could answer your questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Imagine super-intelligent aliens could answer your questions
This is an idea I've been working on and need some help with realistic replies to the questions that will follow.

Highly intelligent extraterrestrials of a very advanced civilization have made contact with Earth, publicly and globally announcing that you can contact them in written form (through a phone number or a website or whatever) and they will gladly answer any questions you may have about the universe.

1. What would your questions be? (Can be more than one)

2. Would you be scared, suspicious, unconvinced?

3. If unconvinced, what would it take for you to believe it's really aliens?

4. How do you think people would react? What are some specific reactions you would expect?

5. What kind of answers do you think we would get that could benefit humanity?

General thoughts on the topic are welcome too Smile

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
10-08-2017, 07:01 PM
RE: Imagine super-intelligent aliens could answer your questions
(10-08-2017 05:50 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  1. What would your questions be? (Can be more than one)

4. How do you think people would react? What are some specific reactions you would expect?

Question #2. Unconvinced.
Question #3. They need to show up in person, on Earth, and give us a DNA sample.
Question #4. Panic. The Right Wingnuts would decide they are demons and refuse to have anything to do with them. The Left Wingnuts would start a new Alien-worship religion. The American public would want them to appear on talk shows.

Assuming they could prove their CVs as Authentic Aliens, then:
Question #1. "What questions should we be asking?" "What can you tell us that we need to know?
Question #5. No way to know. We might get masses of information that could save the human race. Or we could get absolutely nothing of value. It would depend on what they intend.

And some questions : "Why would an alien race agree to answer our questions? What is in it for them? How would you know that their information is valid? Wouldn't a truly super intelligent race let us work out things for ourselves rather than giving us the answers?
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
11-08-2017, 03:54 AM
(10-08-2017 05:50 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Highly intelligent extraterrestrials of a very advanced civilization have made contact with Earth, publicly and globally announcing that you can contact them in written form (through a phone number or a website or whatever) and they will gladly answer any questions you may have about the universe.

1. I would likely ask aliens about their own home world. Also, it could solve a lot of problems with climate change if they could tell us how to succeed with nuclear fussion.

2. I would have to understand the reasoning and evidence behind any new ideas.

3. I would let the scientists verify they were indeed intelligent aliens.

4. There would be a very wide range of reactions. Most would be reasonable.

5. Just knowing for a fact there were intelligent aliens would have the most impact.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
11-08-2017, 04:07 AM
(10-08-2017 05:50 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  This is an idea I've been working on and need some help with realistic replies to the questions that will follow.

Highly intelligent extraterrestrials of a very advanced civilization have made contact with Earth, publicly and globally announcing that you can contact them in written form (through a phone number or a website or whatever) and they will gladly answer any questions you may have about the universe.

1. Are you guys really intelligent? 'Cos I'm having a hard time believing you want to talk to apes. More seriously I'd ask about interstellar politics, how advanced their civilisation is, how long they've been around, history, tech - there'd be a lot to talk about.

2. Initially at least unconvinced and/or suspicious.

3. Show me how you're communicating with me - I'm gonna otherwise assume that it's some hostile Earth person or government trying to play silly buggers. Let me see if I can independently verify some of the stuff you say. Tell me stuff that I can verify that an Earthbound entity wouldn't be able to fake. Something like new physics knowledge. I'm going to continously assess what you're telling me and will remain sceptical for a very long time.

4. There'll be initial panic, then people will calm down. A small fringe of lunatics will devote themselves to proving some daft government hoax idea about where the signals originate and what their purpose is. Most of humanity will be briefly terrified or intrigued, then after they realise that aliens are not a threat, that you can't eat them or fuck them, they'll go back to not caring. The aliens will be a briefly cool 'thing' and then will become solely the occupation either of lunatics or nerds. Unless they offer some world-changing tech or something.

5. It's always answers to the pressing questions that would be best. Climate change, population control, clean energy sources, how to preserve the environment, how to solve some of our social problems.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
11-08-2017, 04:59 AM
(10-08-2017 05:50 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  This is an idea I've been working on and need some help with realistic replies to the questions that will follow.

Only one thing.

"Go home. This place sucks."

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
11-08-2017, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 05:05 AM by undergroundp.)
(10-08-2017 07:01 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  And some questions : "Why would an alien race agree to answer our questions? What is in it for them? How would you know that their information is valid? Wouldn't a truly super intelligent race let us work out things for ourselves rather than giving us the answers?

Well, I see it this way: In order for any civilization to be so advanced as to have all that knowledge about the universe and technology to contact us (which means they have survived long enough to reach that point) they must have developed some sort of empathy that stops them from destroying themselves and others, which could potentially make them empathetic towards humans. Even more so if we are unknowingly part of their civilization in some way (if we are descended from them or they from us, if we are some sort of zoo or simulation they built etc). They could be curious about their experiment. Or do it for fun. Or be genuinely concerned about their "pets" or "cousins".

We let wild animals live peacefully in their natural environment (well, most of the time at least) but if we see that a great number of them is in danger, our empathy compels us to intervene.

Of course there would be no way to know their answers are valid unless it's scientific information that can be tested and confirmed.

I see a lot of suspicion in the replies. Makes me wonder who would be the first people to trust them immediately. Scientologists and all kinds of aliens-related conspiracy theorists are a safe bet I think.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
11-08-2017, 05:13 AM
(11-08-2017 05:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I see a lot of suspicion in the replies. Makes me wonder who would be the first people to trust them immediately. Scientologists and all kinds of aliens-related conspiracy theorists are a safe bet I think.

The thing is, if someone comes to you with some cheesy scheme about how friendly aliens are gonna help ya out all buddy-buddy... I mean, it's got confidence scam written all over it. We're not distrusting the aliens per se, we're distrusting the shysters who're telling us this amazing news.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-08-2017, 05:18 AM
(11-08-2017 05:13 AM)morondog Wrote:  The thing is, if someone comes to you with some cheesy scheme about how friendly aliens are gonna help ya out all buddy-buddy... I mean, it's got confidence scam written all over it. We're not distrusting the aliens per se, we're distrusting the shysters who're telling us this amazing news.

Yeah, that makes sense. Though I doubt any government or NASA or any news source would be any less suspicious of them.

I do think, however, that if their intentions were good and they did have valuable information to share, it would show soon enough.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
11-08-2017, 06:03 AM
1. My first question would be along the lines of "Are you stupid?" or "Why are you talking to us?" Cause if they truly were advanced, they would have done some reconnaissance on our planet and should have concluded that we are not ready for this type of contact, and that it would be disastrous.

2. Suspicious & unconvinced.

3. Direct contact with the aliens "face to face". Medical testing to determine that they are not from our planet.

4&5. I'm not sure how to answer 4&5 except to say alien contact at this stage I think it would be really bad & I doubt they could give any information to us that we would have the technical capability to make use of, and if they also gave us the technical capability to make use of their knowledge, we'd likely destroy ourselves with it (probably accidently, but possibly intentionally).

(11-08-2017 05:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well, I see it this way: In order for any civilization to be so advanced as to have all that knowledge about the universe and technology to contact us (which means they have survived long enough to reach that point) they must have developed some sort of empathy that stops them from destroying themselves and others, which could potentially make them empathetic towards humans. Even more so if we are unknowingly part of their civilization in some way (if we are descended from them or they from us, if we are some sort of zoo or simulation they built etc). They could be curious about their experiment. Or do it for fun. Or be genuinely concerned about their "pets" or "cousins".

We let wild animals live peacefully in their natural environment (well, most of the time at least) but if we see that a great number of them is in danger, our empathy compels us to intervene.

Of course there would be no way to know their answers are valid unless it's scientific information that can be tested and confirmed.

I see a lot of suspicion in the replies. Makes me wonder who would be the first people to trust them immediately. Scientologists and all kinds of aliens-related conspiracy theorists are a safe bet I think.

I think for a species to survive they would only need to have empathy towards themselves. We only let the wild animals live in peace of they are of no use to us (yet) and if they aren't on land that is useful to us (yet)

As soon as they have something we want or need, (i.e. food, shelter, medical cure) we'll take them and use them any way we want.

Which is what I would suspect with any advanced alien contact. They contact us because they want something from us, and we can give it to them or they can take it from us.

A friend in the hole
"I'll be back when I want it...not when I need it." - Hawkeye
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
11-08-2017, 06:33 AM
Just one question....

"Have you guys figured out women yet????"

If they have a good answer for that, they're way more evolved than this gaggle of monkey- kids ...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.