Imagine super-intelligent aliens could answer your questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2017, 10:08 AM
RE: Imagine super-intelligent aliens could answer your questions
(11-08-2017 05:13 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 05:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I see a lot of suspicion in the replies. Makes me wonder who would be the first people to trust them immediately. Scientologists and all kinds of aliens-related conspiracy theorists are a safe bet I think.

The thing is, if someone comes to you with some cheesy scheme about how friendly aliens are gonna help ya out all buddy-buddy... I mean, it's got confidence scam written all over it. We're not distrusting the aliens per se, we're distrusting the shysters who're telling us this amazing news.

I remember the story arc in Stargate SG-1 about the "friendly aliens" they met who destroyed our enemies, advanced us medically and scientifically, and invited us into their coalition. All the while they were sterilizing the population; basically eradicating us with nary a shot fired, just the passing of time. I think they were called the Aschen.

Anyway, the old idea that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is would seem to apply to this hypothetical.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stefan Mayerschoff's post
11-08-2017, 12:17 PM
IF they could somehow prove to me that they were
real
sincere
harmless
altruistic

I think I would ask them "What is the one true religion?"

Their answer would tell me everything I need to know about them.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
11-08-2017, 01:45 PM
(11-08-2017 06:03 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I think for a species to survive they would only need to have empathy towards themselves. We only let the wild animals live in peace of they are of no use to us (yet) and if they aren't on land that is useful to us (yet)

As soon as they have something we want or need, (i.e. food, shelter, medical cure) we'll take them and use them any way we want.

Which is what I would suspect with any advanced alien contact. They contact us because they want something from us, and we can give it to them or they can take it from us.

Having empathy only towards ourselves is what could destroy us. I doubt a species that advanced would need anything from our little Earth that they couldn't get anywhere else. Again, our contact with wild animals or even "uncivilized" tribes is not always hostile. Curiosity has been driving us for millions of years.

I understand why most replies here reflect a negative view towards possible alien contact but it's very interesting to me how this distrust becomes almost aggressive towards a hypothetical question.

As far as I'm concerned, any kind of contact with an extraterrestrial civilization would be great news. I don't think there's any God, but knowing we're not alone in this universe would be at least comforting somehow. Of course I would be suspicious about their motives but I haven't seen a single reply expressing even the slightest excitement about it.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, I'm a bit tipsy.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
11-08-2017, 03:54 PM
I'd have to ask! Blush

Do you guys have anything that tastes better than bacon?

Gasp They DO! Bowing

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
11-08-2017, 04:12 PM
(11-08-2017 03:54 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I'd have to ask! Blush

Gasp They DO! Bowing

Yahbutt....

It's better with bacon....

So go figure...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-08-2017, 04:17 PM
I think my question would be Can they believe it's not butter?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
11-08-2017, 04:29 PM
(11-08-2017 03:54 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I'd have to ask! Blush

Gasp They DO! Bowing

Unless they say: "Definitely! Toasted indigenous bipedal primate! Best thing eeee-ver! We would cross light years just to get a taste of .. of .. Blush Oh, excuse me for a minute. I'm getting a call on my other line. "

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
11-08-2017, 04:40 PM
(11-08-2017 01:45 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Having empathy only towards ourselves is what could destroy us.

I agree, that's one of the reasons I think we're not ready yet.

(11-08-2017 01:45 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I doubt a species that advanced would need anything from our little Earth that they couldn't get anywhere else.

I again agree, except for the only thing that, as far as we're aware, this planet has that we haven't found anywhere else...life, other then that anything else that is on the earth is just laying around on billions of uninhabited worlds. That's one of the reasons I'd be so suspicious if contact were made with us today in our current state.

(11-08-2017 01:45 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I understand why most replies here reflect a negative view towards possible alien contact but it's very interesting to me how this distrust becomes almost aggressive towards a hypothetical question.

As far as I'm concerned, any kind of contact with an extraterrestrial civilization would be great news. I don't think there's any God, but knowing we're not alone in this universe would be at least comforting somehow. Of course I would be suspicious about their motives but I haven't seen a single reply expressing even the slightest excitement about it.

Let me put it this way...have you heard of Star Trek & the Prime Directive? I agree with this philosophy and think we should institute something very much like this when we get into space.

I think that there might be life in our own solar system (unintelligent life, microscopic probably) and I hope we find it, learn from it, let our species become comfortable with the real fact that it's out there .

In fact this might be the best way for advanced aliens to make contact, just plant a bit of microbial life on some planet that they know we're going to visit soon, and gauge our reaction.

Then as we become ready to make a real attempt at leaving our system, they can pop by in their spaceship and say "howdy, just noticed that you're going to go out and visit the neighbourhood...we just thought we'd stop by and give you a few tips, and also we didn't want you coming across us by accident and go ape-shit."

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
11-08-2017, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 04:59 PM by Brian37.)
Theism already partakes in speculation, I dont think skeptics need a si fi version.

Is there other life out there? Considering the size of the universe, that is a very high probability. But even if that life was more advanced, it would still suffer travel problems and most likely be stuck locally like we are even if their range is a bit larger due to their advancements beyond ours.

The universe is a gigantic place. At best I can see us if we dont blow ourselves up over politics and religion or kill ourselves off over pollution, if we focus on science, I can see us communicating with other life. But since we know there is a huge gap between the atom macro world and the sub atomic particle world I dont see how any other life at our macro level is going to defeat that gap. I think math can certainly explain the difference. It gave us the CERN which lead us to the Higgs Boson, but I do not see, knowing how universal the universe is, how any other life can travel space the way si fi fantasizes about. I can only admit a slightly longer range because who knows. But if anyone wants me to say there will be a day when we can use a wormhole or teleportation to suddenly get to the other side of the universe? Nope, not there yet.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
11-08-2017, 05:16 PM
I am a fan of Sagan. While he said in his Pale Blue Dot Speech that the possibilities are there, he also said currently earth is our only home as a species. It does our species no good to speculate about Mars much less getting out of our solar system if the world is involved with war and murdering each other over mythological deities nobody can prove to be real.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post