Imagine super-intelligent aliens could answer your questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2017, 11:16 AM
RE: Imagine super-intelligent aliens could answer your questions
I would be deeply deeply suspicious and unconvinced by anything short of reading their minds.

The Stargate SG-1 story has already been mentioned. It is worth reading two short stories: "The Aliens Who Knew, I Mean, Everything" by George Alec Effinger, and "To Serve Man" by Damon Knight.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Norm Deplume's post
12-08-2017, 11:20 AM
They wouldn't be able to explain it to me. The Tralfamadorians already tried with Billy Pilgrim.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-08-2017, 11:23 AM
(12-08-2017 08:09 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Tells me way more about humans than it does about aliens.
Hardly comes as a surprise, that. It would change things if any actual aliens were in a position to respond.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

12-08-2017, 11:34 AM
(12-08-2017 09:34 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 08:51 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Here's one to toss into the mix... Did you know that pigeons are the only non-mammal species who can recognize themselves in a mirror? As well as all 26 letters of the alphabet? So maybe the aliens could show up with pigeons that humans assume are pets, when in reality the pigeons are the highly advanced intelligent species and the "aliens" are just THEIR pets. In other words, a twist on false assumptions and first appearances.

Sounds kind of like the dolphins in So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Hobo

I'm gonna have to try to find that at the library to read it.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post