Imagine...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2012, 08:55 AM
RE: Imagine...
Oh I never really believed in it. Everything I learned about religion was completely voluntary. I was curious about the whole religion thing so I investigated. I've always had the lingering thought of what if..

Usually it doesn't really cross my mind unless someone asks, but I'd imagine that at the end I might think about it some. I mean really, you're about to find out for absolutely certain whether you are right or wrong. If you're right, nothing, the end. If you're wrong.... well fuck. At the very least you're going to see almost every single douchebag christian in line with you at hell, as i'd say pretty much all of them are going to hell according to the bible. Might almost be worth it.

Standing in line with a christian whos all smarmy, "hah, I told you dirty atheist heathens that god was real", you sure did asshole, isn't that just wonderful at this point.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
23-10-2012, 09:16 AM
I probably would get my relatives with a cruel joke, saying there's something really important I need to tell them, but not getting to it and leaving them with mystery.

Nah. I have no idea how I'll face it 'till it's time.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
23-10-2012, 09:30 AM
I've thought about this before.

I agree about the things going through the theist mind. I also know theists who will be so excited, too, that their time has come. Some start reading and repenting a lot. My Grandfather asked for his priest to be there during hospice a lot to pray.

Through my mind, I think how relaxed I am will depend on my age, or stage, in life. If it were now, I would have more worry and more regret I think. If it were at an older age and more 'loose ends' were tied up I'd be more at peace. I've been in pain before where I *wished* death, so I know I am not scared of it. But the pain free element lets reflective thoughts happen and I know I will have a couple regrets, I already know what they'd be- but they are more of wishing to live every moment I had to it's fullest, which is impossible because we naturally need down time and alone time and things. I think I would feel appreciative, too. What a beautiful thing to get a conscious glimpse into the reality of life and possibility. Smile
23-10-2012, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 10:16 AM by Lilith Pride.)
If I die a natural and slow process I'll have my kitty on top of me keeping me warm and comforted till the end. I've always wanted to be done. To me death is a great release that when it happens means there's so much I won't have to deal with. I have never feared that. Though I could see merit in a continued existence I see just as much merit in not existing.

I'm not afraid of any of the religions afterlives. I wouldn't want to be in their blissful scenarios. To me an end is plenty.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
23-10-2012, 09:53 AM
By the stated rules, since I don't care about this existence and I'm strongly convinced there is no other existence (although the skeptic in me accepts that I could be wrong), I'm pretty sure I would simply close my eyes and wait to die. Since I can't do anything about it, can't prevent it, and I'm in no pain or distress, I suppose I would look forward to the brain shut-down hallucinations; since I don't do drugs and have never been drunk, this would be my one and only "trip" in an altered state, so I'd want to milk it for all it's worth, even though I expect that when it's over, so am I so I won't be able to look back and appreciate having had that experience. Live (and die) in the moment, I guess, given the stated rules.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
23-10-2012, 09:55 AM
You've provoked me to expose my dirty little secret.

As a Christian, there would be nothing but bliss. In your original proposition you speculated there might be doubts about hell. Not in the faith community I came out of. As a pastor I saw many folks transitioning into the arms of Jesus. As a son, I saw my dad slip away into the peace of Jesus' loving arms. My mom suffers from so much pain that often says she has had enough with this life and wants to get her new glorified body. I believed I would have a huge smile on my face and a sort of glow as I moved into God's eternal presence. I had zero doubts that I was saved and would be going to heaven. I imagined death from time to time and welcomed it when it was God's timing for me to go.

Now the dirty little secret:
As an atheist, I'm scared shitless to think about that final breath. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. Will my thoughts be curious? Will I look forward to dark oblivion? Or will I have the doubt that you attributed to a dying Christian? What if I was wrong? What if hell is awaiting me because of my callous rejection of God's beautiful Truth?

Unfortuantley, because of my clinical depression, I spent nearly two hours thinking about this last night. Frankly the fear is the only thing that keeps me alive when I contemplate suicide. I was past the cares of the world. I know death affects those left behind, but I also know people get over it and move on. I was actually more concerned about what would happen to my dog Snuffy...so I guess I wasn't completely over the cares of the world. Undecided

A few months ago, I had a dream that I shot myself in the head. In the dream, my last thoughts and feelings were of my mind slipping away into a warm, dark, peaceful oblivion. It felt positive, it felt perfect. I hope that is what death is like. But I fear it is more about pain and fear and regret and more fear again.

And right now...fear is good. It keeps me breathing. Thumbsup

Dirty little secret over.

[Disclaimer: I'm in therapy and on meds, so I'm being taken care of, in case anyone was reading this honest admission and worried for me. Smile]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
23-10-2012, 09:59 AM
I would feel fear... not fear from dying that is enevitable but fear of the unknown of what could possibly be beyond, if anything.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
23-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I see the unknown as the most amazing thing in the world. I embrace newexperiences openly good or bad. The thing that bums me out most is that so often new and fascinating things end up just being the same old tired stuff.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
23-10-2012, 11:17 AM
I suggest a few of you on this topic go actually watch someone die...it's an enlightening experience that will teach you to appreciate life and not fear death so much. There are plenty of Hospice organizations around, and I'm sure that a few of them accept volunteers.

When someone dies via Hospice, it's always a struggle at the last. The disorientation, the loss of conciousness, the labored breathing, the color change, the beginning of the death rattle, the dried morphine inside their lips....the cessation of breathing - that's pretty much the order of things. I've seen it happen 4 times and have never seen any fear or panic - although I have seen disorientation and confusion as the blood is slowly polluted after the kidneys shut down (I hear it's the build-up of amonia). Anyways...dying is not what it's portrayed like in Hollywood, and it's not mystical either.
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
23-10-2012, 11:42 AM
(23-10-2012 08:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  Guys, you are past caring about the world. That's one of the rules, and, from what I can see, it always happens at some point. It's already all gone, past and irrelevant anymore. There comes a time when you have zero interest in the world you are leaving, you are only focussed only on what's within your own personal brain, and you are trying to follow, understand and anticipate what is happening to you.

Where does this come from? I'm a little confused. Are you stating this arbitrarily as part of a thought game? Or are you telling us you have seen evidence this is the case? I find that to be hard to believe. Expound on this please?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum