Imagine...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2012, 01:52 PM
RE: Imagine...
(23-10-2012 01:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 01:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Hello! I can read y'know.

I see, too, the parallel between Shakespeare's "undiscover'd country" and Tolkien's "Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

oops how embarrassing. I thought you were asleep on the plane. Blush

This is my favorite morbid death poem:

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of ANNABEL LEE;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my Annabel Lee;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling
My beautiful Annabel Lee;
So that her highborn kinsman came
And bore her away from me,
To shut her up in a sepulchre
In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in heaven,
Went envying her and me-
Yes!- that was the reason (as all men know,
In this kingdom by the sea)
That the wind came out of the cloud by night,
Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love
Of those who were older than we-
Of many far wiser than we-
And neither the angels in heaven above,
Nor the demons down under the sea,
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

Edgar Allan Poe

Nice imagery, but man, this is one screwed-up idea of love. But no one does morbid better than Poe Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
23-10-2012, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 02:36 PM by Atothetheist.)
Heh,

If it was me dying. I would be constantly saying "Fuck Fuck! fuck! Etc."

Because life suddenly doesn't become irrelevant , it becomes more important.

I am sure that I am going to fuck up in life, and when I am on my deathbed, I will be able to regret not rectifying my mistakes and my friendships.

If I truly know this is the end, I would ask for forgiviness. Not to God, but to all of my family members for all of the things I put them through. I would also say my good bye, and honest and emotional goodbye that makes no promise of ever seeing eachother, but makes it clear that, to them, I will never truly be gone. I am always with them, in their thoughts and minds.

I would say my final "I love you" to my wife (if I ever get one) and wait for the Great Depressor to come to me.

Though, I have a hope that I will die loved, I also want to be remembered as a man to brought caring, happiness, and charity whenever he was needed to, and then some.

I don't want to die forgotten, but I realize that many do.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
23-10-2012, 02:33 PM
It's more comforting believing that everything had a higher purpose, and that you aren't really dying. That's no secret, that is one of the primary culprits behind the mass delusion called religion.

23-10-2012, 02:35 PM
(23-10-2012 01:48 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I'd be bored, wondering was it was taking so long.

You should have a scone while you're waiting.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-10-2012, 02:48 PM
I believe there are parts of the brain that are able to kick in which display to the person the tunnel, the dead relatives, etc.,... they have been able to reproduce this in lab. I look on that phenomena as a kind of mechanism in our brain to "make it all make sense" - much the way our eye helps to "make sense" of what we view - it keeps life in a familiar place.
It is natural to resist change, to fear the unknown, to want to stay... but I think when the time comes, I'll simply think it will be time to go. I'll want to experience every bit of it I can - it will be all I have left.

If I have to die lying in a bed, I want be conscious enough to feel and understand it. It will be the last bit of life I have to experience and I want that. It might be the most complete thing I ever accomplish.

Otherwise, I would like to be devoured alive by a Tiger. That in itself should be quite a surprise so, I probably wouldn't have much time to be curious about much else.

Either way, I'll consider it a life well lived - or at least a death well done. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
23-10-2012, 02:50 PM
(23-10-2012 02:27 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  ... when I am on my deathbed, I will be able to regret not rectifying my mistakes and my friendships.

If I truly know this is the end, I would ask for forgiviness. ...

Wut!

You are a self-confessed serial killer and at the end, instead of asking for our forgiveness for your "mistakes", you started doing the "evil voice" at us.

Rectify now!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-10-2012, 03:14 PM
I think I'd be both sad and happy that the journey is at end.

I tend to examine situations and like Chas there would be some sort of detachment and reviewing what is going on.

I have never feared death but have never been in a rush to get well aquainted either.

Hopefully they'd have put my iPod on for me and I'd be checking out to Wish You Were Here or DSOTM.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
23-10-2012, 03:18 PM
(23-10-2012 02:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 02:27 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  ... when I am on my deathbed, I will be able to regret not rectifying my mistakes and my friendships.

If I truly know this is the end, I would ask for forgiviness. ...

Wut!

You are a self-confessed serial killer and at the end, instead of asking for our forgiveness for your "mistakes", you started doing the "evil voice" at us.

Rectify now!
Ahh, but I singlehandedly gave the game to you guys.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
23-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Lol, you guys really have troubles visualizing that the world as you know it is irrelevant at some point. You have done the preparing to die while conscious of the world, you had your regrets and wishes and apologies and providing for your family and dogs and whatever you needed to settle before you go.

Then there is a point where you are not aware of it, and you don't give a shit.

You look comatose to those around you, but your brain is trying to deal with how to process your present and future (if any).

People say you are "unconscious" because you don't make any attempt to connect with the world around you. But you are not actually unconscious, because your brain is still working, it is just not concerned with the past or the world around your body.

It is that window, shortly before passing, that I was trying to talk about. When there is only the present, and what you anticipate next. You have already closed the book on the world.

So there are no regrets and no worries about things and people from your world, you already went through that stage and it has passed. It matters no more.

Will you be afraid of what's "on the other side"? Will you be curious? Will you be ready to go to sleep? Will you worry if god is waiting to cuss you out? Will you wait for that "bright light" people talk about? Or do you think that's bogus?

Boy, I really didn't think so many of you would be unable to get past the world as you know it and imagine those actual last moments (or even hours as the case may be) where you have left this world but you are thinking, your brain is working....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-10-2012, 04:37 PM
(23-10-2012 04:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  Lol, you guys really have troubles visualizing that the world as you know it is irrelevant at some point. You have done the preparing to die while conscious of the world, you had your regrets and wishes and apologies and providing for your family and dogs and whatever you needed to settle before you go.

Then there is a point where you are not aware of it, and you don't give a shit.

You look comatose to those around you, but your brain is trying to deal with how to process your present and future (if any).

People say you are "unconscious" because you don't make any attempt to connect with the world around you. But you are not actually unconscious, because your brain is still working, it is just not concerned with the past or the world around your body.

It is that window, shortly before passing, that I was trying to talk about. When there is only the present, and what you anticipate next. You have already closed the book on the world.

So there are no regrets and no worries about things and people from your world, you already went through that stage and it has passed. It matters no more.

Will you be afraid of what's "on the other side"? Will you be curious? Will you be ready to go to sleep? Will you worry if god is waiting to cuss you out? Will you wait for that "bright light" people talk about? Or do you think that's bogus?

Boy, I really didn't think so many of you would be unable to get past the world as you know it and imagine those actual last moments (or even hours as the case may be) where you have left this world but you are thinking, your brain is working....

I don't imagine forgetting my life in my last hours/minutes; I imagine feeling sad that it's about to be over.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post