Immortal Souls / Immortality Debunked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 07:36 AM
RE: Debunking "Souls"
(07-10-2012 03:16 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Well KC what's your counter argument on this?
I wouldn't waste my time on asking him questions like that. He doesn't need any rational or logically consistent arguments to back up his belief, because he has blind faith. Nothing you do or say will change anything at his position. He has demonstrated this over and over again during the time he's been on this forum.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
07-10-2012, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 07:47 AM by Bucky Ball.)
The ancient Greeks knew the world was spherical. They even had a roughly correct computation for how large the circumference of the Earth was.
I think the Pythagoreans did it ??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth
The ancient Hebrews and Sumerians in the Near East had a much less correct view.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0JC_RAzKiXPuGqnqG3pO...8A4-GOhulg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
John 15:16 : "You did not choose me, I chose you, so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last"

Lots of fruits in beligion.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-10-2012, 07:54 AM
(06-10-2012 08:45 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  and you can feed it bread like a duck...

Sorry, offtopic but you shouldn't feed ducks bread, it's not healthy for them.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Near's post
07-10-2012, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 08:07 AM by Atothetheist.)
(07-10-2012 07:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 06:59 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Just like I see no fault with the primitives that thought the world was flat, they only thought that way because they had no means of finding out it was spherical.

Wait, just how far back were are these primitives?

I mean the ancient Greeks were pretty much on the money (well, as on the money as they could possibly be at the time), weren't they?

I am not talking about a specific group. I am talking about the fact that back then, when they had no means of finding out, it only seemed logical to think the world was flat.I don't consider them ignorant or stupid.They just based their perspective on the evidence they had.... You can't really fault them for that...

This is just like the belief in souls, because it hasn't been proven, or has conclusively found an accurate means for testing, even if there were souls, the only logical option, in that situation would be to NOT believe in them.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
07-10-2012, 08:02 AM
(07-10-2012 03:16 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Well KC what's your counter argument on this?

I was interested in that, too.

Perhaps I should have posted this on a Christian forum, as that would have baited plenty of argument. As it is, I have Egor arguing against it, but he's straw-manning my argument... his concept of the soul is clearly different than mine. I don't dispute that we have minds or consciousness, and so I have nothing to say in rebuttal to his assertion that we do. There's no evidence that our minds or consciousness are either eternal or not, because the proposition is that eternal minds/consciousness exist in heaven or hell and there's no way to verify their existence in either unverifiable location.

I imagine KC believes that we have souls (in the same sense that I mean it), but he probably doesn't care to touch my threads with a 10-foot pole after the last couple bouts we had. He knows these arguments can get endless, repetitive, and unsolvable...

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
07-10-2012, 08:15 AM
(07-10-2012 08:02 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  

I was interested in that, too.

Perhaps I should have posted this on a Christian forum, as that would have baited plenty of argument. As it is, I have Egor arguing against it, but he's straw-manning my argument... his concept of the soul is clearly different than mine. I don't dispute that we have minds or consciousness, and so I have nothing to say in rebuttal to his assertion that we do. There's no evidence that our minds or consciousness are either eternal or not, because the proposition is that eternal minds/consciousness exist in heaven or hell and there's no way to verify their existence in either unverifiable location.

I imagine KC believes that we have souls (in the same sense that I mean it), but he probably doesn't care to touch my threads with a 10-foot pole after the last couple bouts we had. He knows these arguments can get endless, repetitive, and unsolvable...

Ed, (Egor), is actually saying more than "we have consciousness". He's asserting a "cosmic" consciousness. That's his (current) belief.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
John 15:16 : "You did not choose me, I chose you, so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last"

Lots of fruits in beligion.
07-10-2012, 08:16 AM
(07-10-2012 08:01 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 07:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Wait, just how far back were are these primitives?

I mean the ancient Greeks were pretty much on the money (well, as on the money as they could possibly be at the time), weren't they?

I am not talking about a specific group. I am talking about the fact that back then, when they had no means of finding out, it only seemed logical to think the world was flat.I don't consider them ignorant or stupid.They just based their perspective on the evidence they had.... You can't really fault them for that...

This is just like the belief in souls, because it hasn't been proven, or has conclusively found an accurate means for testing, even if there were souls, the only logical option, in that situation would be to NOT believe in them.

Geographically isolated groups I understand, but what about primitive tribes or nations who had direct or indirect contact with the Greeks. They've no excuses. Culture rubs off onto other cultures.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-10-2012, 08:20 AM
The brilliant thing about 'souls' is that it allows for some great speech enhancing.
Like you say "that guy has no soul" and you instantly know what the person who said that is referring to, that said person is some kind of cruel monster.
Makes whole conversations that would otherwise be complete unnecessary short and straight to the point all the while avoiding that question that would otherwise be bound to come up "why" as the typical response to "that guy has no soul" is a polite nod of agreement and a slight "mmm".

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
(05-10-2012 08:55 PM)Egor Wrote:  Frankly, I don’t believe there are individual souls. I think there is only one mind and it has always existed, and we merely manifest more or less of it through physical bodies. In other words, when I die, the “me” I know from the mirror will be dead. My personality will die; my delusional identity (ego) will cease. What remains will be the consciousness that was there before I was born—which is what I really am…you, too.

Great post, by the way. I like debating this.

You are not Egor, you are Odo from Star Treck Deep Space Nine!
After your physical existens is over, you will join the great link, right?

As a second thought, i try to imagine, we are all just an idea in the brain of a superior being, and after we died, the overmind lives on forever.

Your statemend on the animal-question seems quite well, but i think we are looking through pretty small slots on this case.
It would not be the first time, our viewpoint turns out as to small-minded.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
(07-10-2012 07:54 AM)Near Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 08:45 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  and you can feed it bread like a duck...

Sorry, offtopic but you shouldn't feed ducks bread, it's not healthy for them.

I'll have to rethink my 3 a.m., black-hooded, leather-gloved duck-feeding excursions. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!