Impeachment Countdown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2017, 11:32 AM
RE: Impeachment Countdown
Consider

Trump tweet prompts Ethics Advisory

Quote:WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A day after President-elect Donald Trump encouraged supporters to "Buy L.L. Bean," a U.S. ethics watchdog on Friday warned federal employees they must not endorse products or companies.

The U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) said on its official Twitter account: "All executive branch employees must refrain from misuse of position, including endorsements."

No mention of Trump was made in the tweet, and many rules for federal employees do not apply to the president. The ethics office has tweeted other reminders to employees this week, including one that federal gift restrictions remain in place during the upcoming inauguration.

I dunno, if it matters, since he intends to violate the Constitution anyways.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2017, 11:33 AM
(14-01-2017 06:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Treason must be specified by an act. Like - selling the Russians cryptographic keymats or systems ---- or classified documents.......

Or inviting Russia to subvert the democratic process...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-01-2017, 12:16 PM
I've posted this before but I think it fits here.

One of the very few professionals that actually predicted a Trump win, Prof Allan Lichtman, has also predicted a Trump impeachment:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...12451.html

From the article:
Quote:I'm quite certain Trump will give someone grounds for impeachment, either by doing something that endangers national security or because it helps his pocketbook.
He's already done the "endanger national security" bit by inviting a foreign government - Russia - to meddle in the election (which they did, even Trump agrees) and his the fact that his conflicts of interest and ties to both Russia and Muslim dictators run so deep even he doesn't know how far they go.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
14-01-2017, 12:17 PM
(14-01-2017 12:16 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I've posted this before but I think it fits here.

One of the very few professionals that actually predicted a Trump win, Prof Allan Lichtman, has also predicted a Trump impeachment:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...12451.html

From the article:
Quote:I'm quite certain Trump will give someone grounds for impeachment, either by doing something that endangers national security or because it helps his pocketbook.
He's already done the "endanger national security" bit by inviting a foreign government - Russia - to meddle in the election (which they did, even Trump agrees) and his the fact that his conflicts of interest and ties to both Russia and Muslim dictators run so deep even he doesn't know how far they go.

And he did invite them, and we have video of it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-01-2017, 01:59 PM
(14-01-2017 11:32 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I dunno, if it matters, since he intends to violate the Constitution anyways.

I don't think that's a fair statement. In order to intend to violate it he'd have to know what was in it and that means he'd have to read it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
14-01-2017, 02:18 PM
(14-01-2017 10:39 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 06:28 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I have you on ignore still but damn lol, you're a fucking idiot. What the fuck does it matter that Obama has "Hussein" in his name? Can you explain that to me, you fucking idiot? No, you can't, because you're a fucking idiot. Did I mention you're a fucking idiot? Do you believe the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrated the White House too, you fucking idiot? Anyway, back to ignoring.

Nope. I did it just to watch someone like you (SJW) freak out and go nuts. I'm sorry the ignore feature doesn't block quotes so I was able to infiltrate your safe space. Now go drink your hot chocolate and play with your play-doh. Have a visit with your therapy dog. Trump will be president in 5 days.

There's nothing wrong with hot chocolate. It's January, you fucking idiot.
14-01-2017, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2017 04:07 PM by dancefortwo.)
(14-01-2017 10:39 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 06:28 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I have you on ignore still but damn lol, you're a fucking idiot. What the fuck does it matter that Obama has "Hussein" in his name? Can you explain that to me, you fucking idiot? No, you can't, because you're a fucking idiot. Did I mention you're a fucking idiot? Do you believe the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrated the White House too, you fucking idiot? Anyway, back to ignoring.

Nope. I did it just to watch someone like you (SJW) freak out and go nuts. I'm sorry the ignore feature doesn't block quotes so I was able to infiltrate your safe space. Now go drink your hot chocolate and play with your play-doh. Have a visit with your therapy dog. Trump will be president in 5 days.

The biggliest thing about trump is that he's COMEDY GOLD. Comedy gold, I tell you!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-01-2017, 07:00 PM
(13-01-2017 02:10 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Republicans control the house and senate.

63 million people voted for Trump. 90% were republican.

It would be political suicide to impeach your own party. Not one democrat senator voted guilty against Bill Clinton even with overwhelming evidence.

The Republicans needed Trump for just one purpose, defeating Hillary. Now that that's been accomplished he's a liability and they'd be fools not to dispose of him.

Let's break down that vote a bit for a look at the nuances. Of those 63 million votes, how many were cast:
- against Hillary?
- for the Republicans?
- for Trump?

The first two don't matter because they'll cheerfully throw Trump under the bus. That leaves us with the die hard Trump supporters to contend with, and while they're very capable of being a problem, they're simple creatures and easily dealt with. Trump's supporters are fair weather friends. There for him so long as his aura of winning is supported by actual winning but scarce on the ground as hen's teeth when he's... "less winning". Here's an example of that phenomenon from a typical Trump supporter:

(03-08-2016 06:09 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  If Trump is down 10 points in the Fox poll, and 34% of respodants say the Khan fiasco make them less likely to vote for Trump, then he needs to drop out now. Immediately.

10 points at Fox means 15-20 in real life.

So all they have to do is undermine his image, and in the post-truth world that Trump worked so selflessly to help create that's all too simple to do.

Here's how it's going to play out:

- There will be a scandal. I know, less of a prediction than a description of the 2016 election results but I mean something a little more specific. Oh look! There's one now! And so conveniently timed too. After Trump has passed the electoral college and the tally in the house but before the innauguration. I'm sure that's just coincidence.

- There will be an investigation. All in the name of clearing up what is clearly false news, slander and lies. In order to restore faith in the Presidency. Trump may well suggest it himself after one of his very good Republican friends whispers the notion in his ear.

- During the course of the investigation Trump's taxes and business dealings will be subpoenaed. Just as a matter of due dilligence you understand. So that we can prove that Trump never had any ties with Moscow. Honestly.

- Trump will shriek. The investigators will insist. Trump will shriek louder. None of this will make him look one jot more innocent and a well-coordinated astroturf-roots campaign in the social media will begin gnawing at his support.

- Trump will refuse, at which point the DOJ will simply remind him that this is the US Governent that he's dealing with and they already have all his taxes. With due process observed the IRS will send his files to the investigation. If we are very lucky Trump will, as President, threaten to sue the US Government.

- And now the witch hunters investigating committee will begin a wondrous little fishing trip through all of Trumps sordid dealings. You think the scandal brewed up over a foolishly used e-mail server was impressive? You ain't seen nothing yet!

- In due course the FBI will be called in. Then the CIA. The NSA. Ghostbusters. There will be "leaks". All anonymous sources, identity protected by the press. Impossible to trace. Some will be real, some not, but the facts won't matter. All will be unverifiable because the committee "cannot comment on an active investigation." And Trump's only defense will be to release his tax returns. Trump's supporters, already disenchanted with his swampland reclamation project and faced with wave after wave of allegations will desert him like rats fleeing a doomed ship. His most fervent followers will become his most zealous critics.

- The investigation will find wrongdoing. Possibly not what they were originally tasked to look for but that hardly matters. Certainly something more damning than lying about a stain on a dress. With the public howling for his blood, the politicians who begin the impeachent will be hailed as heros. Control of the House and Senate won't matter because the Republicans will hold him down while the Democrats gut him. The vote will be unanimous. All hail President Pence.

The only real wildcard is whether Trump will try to survive it, resign, or suffer a full-blown mental breakdown from the stress of not winning.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
14-01-2017, 07:26 PM
@Paleophyte

I don't see why the Republicans would "need" to dispose of Trump. He is the perfect candidate for them. He has no prior experience in actual politic. He as no clue as how to manipulate the levers of power at his disposal to press his agenda. He knows how to sell images, brands, projects and concepts. He is actualy incredible at that. That's the key to his fame and success, look awesome and brilliant while doing little and failling often. With such a President, the Republicans, who dominate both houses and most of the State legislature can simply convince him to follow their lead by making him believe all their ideas are his. From what we can read from the Republican programs, they and Trump are in complete agreement. Plus, a boisterous macho posturing POTUS is a good brand for the die hard Republican base and can easily distract media from the manipulation and actions of the power brokers. I don't expect at all Republicans to support any move against Trump. They would look like fools and vipers to do so. Should Trump fall, he will grab and drag many people with him. Impeachment is almost impossible unless a massive blunders happen and it will have to be much worse than a question on Trump's character and personnality.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
14-01-2017, 09:35 PM
(14-01-2017 07:26 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I don't see why the Republicans would "need" to dispose of Trump.

Unpredictability.

[Image: 21445186.jpg]

Sure he has all of the qualities you mentioned but you'll never be sure if he's about to go on a rant that will embarass the entire party. The potential for yet another truly damaging scandal is enormous. Remember all the unendorsements when grab-em-by-the-pussy broke?

Have you seen the pictures of him and Ivanka? See where your mind just went? If we can imagine it you can be sure the RNC has too. Name one other president that wouldn't be ludicrous with.

Quote:Impeachment is almost impossible unless a massive blunders happen and it will have to be much worse than a question on Trump's character and personnality.

Unless or until? Combine his impressive incompetence with his impressively incompetent cabinet and you have a recipe for disaster that will make George W's blundering of Katrina look bloody brilliant by comparison.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post