Impeachment Countdown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2017, 04:36 AM
RE: Impeachment Countdown
The whole thing is a horrible mess I sure do feel sorry for all you guys, on a scale of 1 to 10 how bad do you really think its going to get ? I dunno but when I go to the dentist beforehand I'm like oh this is gonna suck but then when I get there, its never as bad as I imagined, do you think that might happen with Trump ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
16-01-2017, 04:54 AM
(16-01-2017 12:38 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 09:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Clinton was impeached over 1 blowjob.

Close... his attempted impeachment was initiated by charges of perjury and obstruction of justice. Nothing to do with the BJ itself—which wouldn't have resulted in a successful impeachment anyway.

Bill Clinton's impeachment was successful. But the Senate could not convict - they couldn't muster a 2 thirds majority vote. It's a common misconception that impeachment equals removal from office.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
16-01-2017, 09:13 AM
(16-01-2017 04:36 AM)adey67 Wrote:  The whole thing is a horrible mess I sure do feel sorry for all you guys, on a scale of 1 to 10 how bad do you really think its going to get ? I dunno but when I go to the dentist beforehand I'm like oh this is gonna suck but then when I get there, its never as bad as I imagined, do you think that might happen with Trump ?

No, I don't think there's any possibility that Trump might be not as bad as feared. It will be a a surprise to me if, given all of his provocations, our former allies don't unite against us. The rest of the world is going to say, no, we're not renegotiating our deals or paying for your walls, or fighting terrorists with you. Domestically, Trump's cabinet and staffing picks clearly show he's aiming to return us to the era of the robber barons--the age of fuck the poor people, let them live in misery at the slave wages, and once they can't work anymore, keep housing, food, and healthcare unaffordable so they'll die quickly.

Trump's business practices of 1) over-promise and under- (or never) deliver and 2) cheat the people who work for you will be in play for as long as he's in power.

When Trump is impeached, we'll have Pence, who wants to return us to the age of the Puritans, with no rights for anyone who isn't the right kind of Christian.
16-01-2017, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2017 09:21 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
(16-01-2017 04:36 AM)adey67 Wrote:  The whole thing is a horrible mess I sure do feel sorry for all you guys, on a scale of 1 to 10 how bad do you really think its going to get ? I dunno but when I go to the dentist beforehand I'm like oh this is gonna suck but then when I get there, its never as bad as I imagined, do you think that might happen with Trump ?

I think saying "it's not going to be that bad" when Trump is president is luring yourself into a false sense of security. I don't know how bad it's going to be because we're in entirely uncharted territory.

16-01-2017, 09:18 AM
(16-01-2017 09:13 AM)julep Wrote:  When Trump is impeached, we'll have Pence, who wants to return us to the age of the Puritans, with no rights for anyone who isn't the right kind of Christian.

Yes, Pence is the type that gives evangelicals their best wet dreams.

But he's also practical, has a history of working together with Democrats, and he's unlikely to reach for the nuclear football because someone, somewhere, got under his skin.

Don't get me wrong; a LOT of things can - and will - go wrong with a Pence presidency, but the destruction of human civilization isn't one of them. Trump is a clear and present danger to almost all life on the planet. Pence can make things uncomfortable for thoughtful people for less than a generation.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
16-01-2017, 10:36 AM
(16-01-2017 09:18 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 09:13 AM)julep Wrote:  When Trump is impeached, we'll have Pence, who wants to return us to the age of the Puritans, with no rights for anyone who isn't the right kind of Christian.

Yes, Pence is the type that gives evangelicals their best wet dreams.

But he's also practical, has a history of working together with Democrats, and he's unlikely to reach for the nuclear football because someone, somewhere, got under his skin.

Don't get me wrong; a LOT of things can - and will - go wrong with a Pence presidency, but the destruction of human civilization isn't one of them. Trump is a clear and present danger to almost all life on the planet. Pence can make things uncomfortable for thoughtful people for less than a generation.

I agree that Trump is the more volatile of the two and a bigger threat to world peace. However, Pence is already going to have a free hand with his agenda under Trump (Trump being uninterested in actually doing the work of a chief executive). We'll effectively be getting both of their presidencies at the same time, until Trump is forced out and we have only Pence.

I'm afraid that Pence and his cohort will be able to gut education and civil rights to such an extent that it's going to take more than a generation to win them back, but we'll have to see how that goes. I don't see Pence or Trump caring to build consensus on both sides of the aisle. While they have the club of the majority at their disposal, they're going to bash as much stuff as they can.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
16-01-2017, 12:12 PM
My hope is that the oligarchic forces that actually govern the US convince/order their congressional lapdogs to impeach Trump because his unpredictability is bad for business.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom