Implications of the "Double slit" experiment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 04:33 AM
RE: Implications of the "Double split" experiment?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
09-12-2013, 05:25 AM
This explanation is just Woo, if you place detectors that interact with an experiment , you change the experiment.
The wave property is interesting, but it makes out the electron has performance anxiety.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-12-2013, 06:01 AM
(09-12-2013 04:33 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

I think it is obvious to everyone that the red lines are interfering with the blue lines.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Drinking Beverage

btw, bemore,

Edit your thread title... slit, not split.

I'm leaving for Hong Kong in a few hours.

Planning on performing a few double slit experiments myself... no entanglements!

Drooling

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-12-2013, 06:01 AM
I mentioned this series in another thread, but in case it has been missed: Check out ozomoroid's coverage of quantum mechanics to get a decent semi-technical grounding in it.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL193BC0532FE7B02C

To deal directly with the OP: Quantum particles move like waves, but arrive at discrete points. If you can imagine a drip falling into water and spreading out in all directions... that's kind of how quantum particles move. But. When they arrive, they do so at a single point. It isn't clear why or how this can be the case. As ozmoroid would say: The motto of Quantum Mechanics is "shut up and calculate".

There are multiple workable models for how it could happen, from the wave form "collapsing" to the whole universe being a big quantum superposition and us just kind of lining up with the reality of quantum particles around us. One thing we do know is that it isn't concious observation that causes the transition from moving to arriving. A machine doing the measurement without any human observer is also able to trigger this transition.

Another channel worth checking out for this stuff is looking glass universe:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg...nb1UGyYc5S
The machine observation is covered under the "Quantum Eraser" videos in this series. The series also includes coverage of Bell's Theorem, although there are still some videos to go in that coverage.

Veritasium has an interesting series on quantum computing here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk...aCh2gbq55_

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.