Importance of The Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
08-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Importance of The Bible?
As we know, some people are so deeply invested in this god stuff that nothing will get through to them.

Let's assume that tomorrow something is discovered that proves the bible was a book full of myth.. The proof is so strong that even theists accept the bible is fake.

Considering all those personal experiences they've had, the evidence they see around them and have personal prayers answered by this god... Would the theists still continue to believe if the bible was thrown out?

Would disproving the bible make a blind bit of difference?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheStraightener's post
08-05-2014, 04:25 PM
RE: Importance of The Bible?
(08-05-2014 04:19 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  As we know, some people are so deeply invested in this god stuff that nothing will get through to them.

Let's assume that tomorrow something is discovered that proves the bible was a book full of myth.. The proof is so strong that even theists accept the bible is fake.

Considering all those personal experiences they've had, the evidence they see around them and have personal prayers answered by this god... Would the theists still continue to believe if the bible was thrown out?

Continue to believe what?
08-05-2014, 04:27 PM
In their experience with this god. The God who has apparently answered their prayers, spoke to them and revealed himself to them.
08-05-2014, 04:29 PM
(08-05-2014 04:27 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  In their experience with this god. The God who has apparently answered their prayers, spoke to them and revealed himself to them.

Would you continue to believe in the experiences you have with a person you have a relationship with and love who loves you if you found out that their biography had some errors in it?
08-05-2014, 04:35 PM
No jeremy, but I've never become so emotionally invested in Something that I've dismissed all sense of reality, reasoning and logic.
[+] 2 users Like TheStraightener's post
08-05-2014, 04:43 PM
(08-05-2014 04:35 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  No jeremy, but I've never become so emotionally invested in Something that I've dismissed all sense of reality, reasoning and logic.

Neither have I.

Are you making the point that I would be dismissing all sense of reality reasoning and logic by continuing to believe in my experiences with God if I were to find that errors were in the bible?

If so, why do you think that?
08-05-2014, 04:54 PM
(08-05-2014 04:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 04:35 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  No jeremy, but I've never become so emotionally invested in Something that I've dismissed all sense of reality, reasoning and logic.

Neither have I.

Are you making the point that I would be dismissing all sense of reality reasoning and logic by continuing to believe in my experiences with God if I were to find that errors were in the bible?

I don't mean errors. I mean 100 percent disproven. Totally tossed out.

And if you would still continue to believe.. Doesn't that pretty much make the bible worthless anyway?
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
08-05-2014, 04:57 PM
(08-05-2014 04:19 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  As we know, some people are so deeply invested in this god stuff that nothing will get through to them.

I would think it would naturally vary from person to person though for most theists it wouldn't matter. Some people would believe that the evidence is a test of their faith and keep believing in the Bible. Some people would probably come to accept the results and see the bible as a collective of fictional tales but still feel a bonding towards God depending due to "personal experiences" but still would highly regard the bible for the importance it had in their life. Some people would probably believe still just out of denial even if in their minds they realize that whatever research there is showing the bible is fake is logical because it's ingrained into them that it is true so evidence of the opposite would be hard to take. Between all that I'd think defined research showing the bible as not being real would not sway many theist from their faith or would devalue the bible for them. Same thing if it was another religious text.

[Image: notagain.gif]
08-05-2014, 04:58 PM
(08-05-2014 04:54 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 04:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Neither have I.

I don't mean errors. I mean 100 percent disproven. Totally tossed out.

And if you would still continue to believe.. Doesn't that pretty much make the bible worthless anyway?

Well, the Bible cannot be 100 percent disproven so the hypothetical is impossible.

But if it were to be disproven and worthy of tossing out as you call it, that would not cause me to discontinue believing in my beloved anymore than tossing out the biography of someone you love would cause you to discontinue believing in and trusting in them.

All it would really do was demonstrate that the Bible was not inerrant.
08-05-2014, 04:59 PM

It depends what kind of believer you are looking at here.

Some believers are would probably default to another religion or a form of pantheism to explain their 'experiences' were their current holy book shown completely false and they actually acknowledged it.
Others would probably chalk up their experiences to psychology instead of transcendent roots and drop it all together.
However I doubt that disproving the bible would make much of a difference to those who are already hyper-invested in it. Because the bible says it is right, therefore it's right. Even if it was proven to be absolutely, unquestionably wrong about everything, hardliners would still dig in their heels because the devil has his hands in many pots and clearly it is a test from god or a Satanic deception.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post