Importance of The Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
09-05-2014, 02:03 PM
RE: Importance of The Bible?
(09-05-2014 12:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 12:13 PM)Leo Wrote:  When atheists talk about "morals " ( I don't use this word by the way) they mean the actions that are negative and positive toward other beings like humans and even animals.

Ignore his JAQing off he is throwing a temper tantrum because he tried to prove objective morality and it was completely dismantled. His response is to act like a three year old not getting a candybar rather than learn something and grow as a person. I recomend just ignoring his stupidity.

I recommend banning his sorry, spamming ass. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-05-2014, 02:04 PM
(09-05-2014 12:20 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You are my proof. Your words are the evidence. You make moral judgments. Its in your nature. To deny yourself of this is not something you can even do even when you know that in so doing you are every time proving that there is One who made you the way you are with your capacity for moral discernment.

Precisely - in our nature. Our nature is the product of evolution. It's natural.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-05-2014, 02:05 PM
(09-05-2014 02:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 12:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Ignore his JAQing off he is throwing a temper tantrum because he tried to prove objective morality and it was completely dismantled. His response is to act like a three year old not getting a candybar rather than learn something and grow as a person. I recomend just ignoring his stupidity.

I recommend banning his sorry, spamming ass. Drinking Beverage

For shame!

You couldn't be more wrong Angry

It's 'arse'.
Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
09-05-2014, 02:11 PM
(08-05-2014 04:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 04:27 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  In their experience with this god. The God who has apparently answered their prayers, spoke to them and revealed himself to them.

Would you continue to believe in the experiences you have with a person you have a relationship with and love who loves you if you found out that their biography had some errors in it?

So you are saying that if you are reading some letters someone wrote and you imagine they are meant for you , and you create this whole world revolving around your love for this woman, or man, or it, ..and then you find out it is some dude laying around in a wife beater wrapped out on crack...you're still going to love the image you had ? Why is that ?

So if the bible were proven to be completely made up from some men, with no help from any supernatural being, you would still love the main character of the book? And nothing would change for you?
[+] 1 user Likes Dirtnapper324's post
09-05-2014, 02:38 PM
(09-05-2014 02:11 PM)Dirtnapper324 Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 04:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Would you continue to believe in the experiences you have with a person you have a relationship with and love who loves you if you found out that their biography had some errors in it?

So you are saying that if you are reading some letters someone wrote and you imagine they are meant for you , and you create this whole world revolving around your love for this woman, or man, or it, ..and then you find out it is some dude laying around in a wife beater wrapped out on crack...you're still going to love the image you had ? Why is that ?

So if the bible were proven to be completely made up from some men, with no help from any supernatural being, you would still love the main character of the book? And nothing would change for you?

That was not what I was asked.
09-05-2014, 02:39 PM
(09-05-2014 12:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 04:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Would you continue to believe in the experiences you have with a person you have a relationship with and love who loves you if you found out that their biography had some errors in it?

It's an interesting analogy but it would be more accurate to specify that this 'loved one' is an on-line relationship.
You've never met them or seen them. Other people tell you they are real but then you find out their profile has been generated by a dating-site simulator.

Consider

I think I would spend a week drowning my cognitive dissonance in a couple of bottles of Dark Light's hooch.

And then I'd get over it.

Thumbsup

(09-05-2014 11:51 AM)Leo Wrote:  ...
What a strawman post is that?

pst red herring, not straw man

I have both met and seen Him.
09-05-2014, 02:43 PM
New level of crazy reached. He fell out of the batshit bonkers tree and hit every freaking branch on the way down!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 7 users Like Timber1025's post
09-05-2014, 03:04 PM
(09-05-2014 02:39 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 12:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's an interesting analogy but it would be more accurate to specify that this 'loved one' is an on-line relationship.
You've never met them or seen them. Other people tell you they are real but then you find out their profile has been generated by a dating-site simulator.

Consider

I think I would spend a week drowning my cognitive dissonance in a couple of bottles of Dark Light's hooch.

And then I'd get over it.

Thumbsup

I have both met and seen Him.

That's what she said.

Meaning... that's what I'd expect someone to say who is suffering from either cognitive dissonance, an excess of DL's hooch... or both.

You must be going through a tough time.

You have my sympathy... 'cause... well... y'know, we've all been there.

Hug

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-05-2014, 03:09 PM
(09-05-2014 02:38 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 02:11 PM)Dirtnapper324 Wrote:  So you are saying that if you are reading some letters someone wrote and you imagine they are meant for you , and you create this whole world revolving around your love for this woman, or man, or it, ..and then you find out it is some dude laying around in a wife beater wrapped out on crack...you're still going to love the image you had ? Why is that ?

That was not what I was asked.

It's pretty much exactly what I asked. You just decided to change the question to suit your different answer.
[+] 2 users Like TheStraightener's post
09-05-2014, 04:54 PM
(09-05-2014 03:04 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 02:39 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I have both met and seen Him.

That's what she said.

Meaning... that's what I'd expect someone to say who is suffering from either cognitive dissonance, an excess of DL's hooch... or both.

You must be going through a tough time.

You have my sympathy... 'cause... well... y'know, we've all been there.

Hug

Or I am telling the truth. You left that one out.