Impregnantion by rape is like getting a flat tire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2011, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2011 11:39 PM by SoCATrueAtheist.)
Impregnantion by rape is like getting a flat tire
I've gotten to a point where I honestly don't know what to say anymore when it comes the things that come out of these politicians mouths. This story in particular really hits home with me because I experienced this shortly after I turned 18. Although in my case I attempted suicide and miscarried as a result. The sick part is 10 years later I damn near made another attempt when I was pregnant with my son (not of rape, my husband's child) because somehow being pregnant again just brough it all back. I was miserable the entire time and suffered severe ppd afterwards. Luckily I have a very supportive husband and none of this affected my son who is now a happy and healthy 3 1/2 y/o.

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2011/05/pete...t_tire.php
article Wrote:Rape is often called the ultimate violation of self. A crime of absolute contempt for personal integrity, leaving the women caught in its wreckage to labor under the trauma for years. What reprehensible event could possibly have the same consequences as the spiritual dead zone rape victims are left in?

Well, getting a flat tire, according to Kansas state Rep. Pete DeGraaf.

Last Friday, Kansas legislators approved a ban on insurance companies offering abortion coverage as part of their general health plans. The one exception: when a woman's life is at risk.

DeGraaf, who is in his first term and who is an associate pastor, also called for banning coverage for abortions of rape pregnancies. (Women could get around this if they purchased separate, "abortion-only policies.")

During the House discussion there was predictably some disagreement over whether excluding rape pregnancies from coverage was perhaps the sort of callous treatment a recently violated woman shouldn't have to deal with. Here's DeGraaf's response to Rep. Barbara Bollier's challenge, as reported by the McPherson Sentinel:

Rep. Pete DeGraaf, a Mulvane Republican who supports the bill, told her: "We do need to plan ahead, don't we, in life?"

Bollier asked him, "And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with pregnancy?"

DeGraaf drew groans of protest from some House members when he responded, "I have a spare tire on my car."

"I also have life insurance," he added. "I have a lot of things that I plan ahead for."

This is the part of the story where it would be fun to talk about how DeGraaf should be put through something similar to rape, even though tortures on that level are hard to invent. Someone could give him the old Shazam, which is when you unzip a man's taint from anus to testicles using a pair of kiddie scissors. Shazam! Or we could make jokes about how there should be a AAA for sexual assault. That kind of thing is fun to write and fun to read, and we could all get good and angried up.

But, you know, even though that stuff might make us feel good, the truth is there's a lot of people who voted for DeGraaf who think he's just telling it like it is. Of course, those people prove the old line about rape being the only crime in which the victim becomes the accused.

So DeGraaf will keep preaching at his church, everyone will forget about it, and he'll probably get re-elected. He might even carve himself out a nice life in politics surrounded by people who agree with him and make sure he always knows he was right about those dumb women who failed to prepare for rape, assuming he ever gives it another thought. Then, on his deathbed, he'll look back, comfortable that he led a brave and innocent life, ready to enter heaven.

One quick thing before we're done. DeGraaf's Web site lists his office number as 785-296-7693, his home phone as 316-777-0715 - that's at 1545 E. 119th St. Mulvane, KS - and his e-mail as pete.degraaf@house.ks.gov. You know, just in case you're one of the people who do disagree with him and think you might be able to persuade him. Democracy thrives on open discourse.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2011, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2011 07:00 PM by Lilith Pride.)
RE: Impregnantion by rape is like getting a flat tire
I need to stop reading these articles I'm going to end up killing a bunch of politicians. Yeah I understand how you feel, though I was not impregnated nor could I have been by my molester. While a woman, being 6 and not having a vagina makes me feel I'm pretty much infertile (never looked inside so who knows). That's a bit off base though. I'm glad that you are enjoying a wonderful life with your son. I was very worried while reading that he might have developed issues due to your stress and mood during pregnancy. I'm glad that you're husband is helping you to feel comfortable. Without that you might've ended up one of the mothers who despises a child. I'm very glad that this article lists contact information for the asshole. I hope he gets so much harassment that he loses this fervent desire to espouse his awful views.

Women are not objects, I wish more women realized that. His wife is probably the type of girl so brainwashed by scripture that she thinks serving him is the best action she could possibly serve. Too many women remain silent and oppressed. Allow themselves to never develop in order to remain devotional to a fairy tale. And it's the support of these poor women who were raped of any free will by an indoctrination at childhood that allows for things like this to happen after we once rioted en mass about the fact that we have rights.

I want some empathy. And it seems that it will only come with some lube and treasure hunting =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-05-2011, 12:58 PM
This is flat out disturbing and it's truly an insult to people like yourself and other victims. But then again this is from the people that believe the teachings of a book that said the solution to rape is for the rapist to marry the victim. How sweet it is when our politicians can play the womens' rights card when they condemn Islam yet say this kind of bullshit out of the other side of their mouths.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
24-05-2011, 02:06 PM

DeGraaf is an associate pastor. A pimp for the Patriarchy. He has a dick, and that's where his brain is. He's reprehensible, unfit for office, an asshole and completely out of touch with women. His flat tire analogy is reprehensible and just goes to show how psychotic he is. Hopefully, his first term will be his last as the voters see what an insult he is to the office and what a threat he is to the pastoral services.
It's like that old quote, attributed often enough to Gloria Steinem but actually originally the words of Rose Kennedy. "If men became pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament."

Anti-choice, pro-forced pregnancy by law advocates are liars when they claim to be pro-life. Because the history of the struggle proves, graveyard after graveyard, that illegal abortion cost two lives. Because women will forever make a choice!
Even if it costs them their lives.

My mom was raped. I'm living proof she was pro-choice.
Dear Mr. DeGraaf, You sir are a sin.
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I often wonder if these people who shrug of rape as a joke aren't just highly functioning sociopaths - I mean seriously , how about a little empathy and compassion ? No - that would just get in the way of their agenda.

(24-05-2011 02:06 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  My mom was raped. I'm living proof she was pro-choice.
Dear Mr. DeGraaf, You sir are a sin.

GassyKitten I'm so sorry for your mom. I hope she recovered from the ordeal.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
24-05-2011, 05:43 PM

(24-05-2011 02:29 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I often wonder if these people who shrug of rape as a joke aren't just highly functioning sociopaths - I mean seriously , how about a little empathy and compassion ? No - that would just get in the way of their agenda.
I think you may be on to something there. Though with Politicians it seems very common to be a matter of, "Us and Them". When someone like DeGraff makes such statements while pursuing the outlaw of abortion, unless a life is at stake, they very often are talking about us. The slaves who they think have to obey the laws of the masters, them or him as the case may be, who believe they as a minority legislative body, know what's best for the majority of citizens. In this case, women. Who he, as a man, believes he is fully entitled to control the reproduction thereof.

However, them that are in his circle of power and money, as we know from the countless headlines that have surfaced over the years when it comes to the rich thinking they are entitled to live by a different standard, it's quite something else indeed. If his mistress got pregnant, presuming he would have one or one would have him, would he tell her to abort so as to save his associate pastor ultra-right wing conservative GOP image? Probably! And if she did choose to terminate, she'd have the best doctor and it would all be very hush hush. It would also be very expensive because keeping something like that quiet tends to be so.

It's always a double standard. Those with the power are above the law's they make using their power.

(24-05-2011 02:06 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  GassyKitten I'm so sorry for your mom. I hope she recovered from the ordeal.
Thank you. Smile Mom was date raped. When she found out she was pregnant she made him marry her, so she'd not birth a bastard. Old school, older generation type deal. He did. He was her first husband, she was his second wife. They were together for over 35 years before they both died of cancer a year apart nearly 13 years ago now.
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 04:26 AM
It's almost disgusting what they do with women in general in many parts of the world. The whole abortion thing is just the west's way of exploiting women's rights and I think it's mostly done for religious reasons. I don't mind people being pro-life , it's their right , but I'd like to see it come from their own opinion not religious dogma or political obedience.

As for the upper class , yes it's a big issue. IT happens in ALL circles, the upper echelons of society are free from any rules of society and somehow I think the environment of such a class teaches you the indifference and lack of compassion. I think showing any mercy or decency makes you weak. Whether it's politicians , rich people , royalty or priests , they are all powerful and somehow above the law. It's a big issue. Secular democracy rebelled against the monarchy and atheism rebelled against religion - now the rich and politicians are all that remain , but they remain a very large tick. As for their attitude , I don't know if to call it hypocrisy or something already planned out in advance just for the eyes of the people when they are fully aware of their own deception.

Try this book : "Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work"

Well I hope you are alright now. Seems you had a rough situation.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin