In Abraham's Shoes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 02:37 PM
In Abraham's Shoes
Another post in this forum got me looking at this TTA website page and I began thinking about this question:

Quote:5) If God commanded you, as he did to Abraham in Genesis 22, to take one of your children and kill him/her upon an altar as a demonstration of your faith and obedience, would you do it? Can you explain what you might do in that situation?

I considered the situation as one where "God" was standing right in front of me and there was no denying his existence or power and the threat for disobedience was eternal punishment in hell. I would not and could not kill my child. And then I realized that God would not be testing my faith with this nor would he be testing my love for him. He would be testing my love for my child. Killing my child would be no act of love for God - only strict obedience, but saving my child certainly would be an act of love for my child. Yet another thing the bible got wrong. And, of course, any omniscient god would have known what was really being tested.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
12-11-2014, 02:51 PM
RE: In Abraham's Shoes
I don't know the message being conveyed in the passages or if they are even clearly spelled out. So I'll ask. Was Abraham being tested whether he was willing to put God before all others, even his own family?
12-11-2014, 02:55 PM
See Genesis 22. God tested Abraham's devotion by telling him to kill his own son Isaac. Abraham was about to do it, but God stopped him. Abraham apparently passed.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
12-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Considering God'd pride at killing Jesus, and tendency to create things that wipe out his children by the thousands, I'm thinking God just has a really shitty idea of loving your child.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
12-11-2014, 03:16 PM
I had a read. The language used is fear and obey. The test was to see if Abraham feared God enough to obey his any command?

I'd fail. :-) "Ya, I know I'm fucked, but fuck you just the same."
[+] 1 user Likes TreeSapNest's post
12-11-2014, 03:35 PM
That is probably the bible story that disturbs me the most. Only a monster would ask a person to kill their own child as a test of obedience.
[+] 3 users Like wazzel's post
12-11-2014, 03:41 PM
(12-11-2014 02:51 PM)TreeSapNest Wrote:  I don't know the message being conveyed in the passages or if they are even clearly spelled out. So I'll ask. Was Abraham being tested whether he was willing to put God before all others, even his own family?

I've been told that god knew that Abraham would pass but the point was to demonstrate to Abraham that his faith was that deep. The problem is that I don't see any reason why that needed to be demonstrated.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
12-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Was the monster God, or was it Abraham instead? :-)
[+] 1 user Likes TreeSapNest's post
12-11-2014, 03:44 PM
(12-11-2014 03:41 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 02:51 PM)TreeSapNest Wrote:  I don't know the message being conveyed in the passages or if they are even clearly spelled out. So I'll ask. Was Abraham being tested whether he was willing to put God before all others, even his own family?

I've been told that god knew that Abraham would pass but the point was to demonstrate to Abraham that his faith was that deep. The problem is that I don't see any reason why that needed to be demonstrated.
Wouldn't an omnipotent being already know the outcome so test of any kind are unnecessary?
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
12-11-2014, 03:49 PM
(12-11-2014 03:41 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I've been told that god knew that Abraham would pass but the point was to demonstrate to Abraham that his faith was that deep. The problem is that I don't see any reason why that needed to be demonstrated.

That might be right. It's more reading than I want to put into it, though. The passage itself only mentions fear and obeying.

I like my mythology from actors with great voices on sets with CGI. :-)