In Christianity, What's the Point of Earth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 04:48 PM
In Christianity, What's the Point of Earth?
In Christianity and it's various little off shoots, is there any explanation as to why God supposedly plopped us on Earth in the first place?

I mean, they preach that God takes all of his followers up to heaven after 100 years of Earth, at the most, which is less than the blink of an eye in comparison to eternity. They all claim he's going to just completely dispense of this place any day now and snatch everyone up into heaven. And possibly the only thing all faiths agree on is that, compared to heaven, Earth sucks.

So why the hell are we here? Their God obviously doesn't want us here. I know the stupid Adam and Eve story but why was he putting his super duper beloved creations on a planet to begin with when he presumably already had heaven, with its complete lack of evil snakes and knowledge granting fruit? As far as I know there's no mention heaven was made later. All we're accomplishing is supposedly sending a few billion to hell.

(Yes, I know the correct answer is "Because God doesn't exist".)

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
10-09-2014, 04:52 PM
RE: In Christianity, What's the Point of Earth?
Unsurprisingly, it doesn't make any sense if you take into account the Bible. Eden was not on Earth. There is absolutely no reason for YHWH to have made Earth, unless he knew Adam and Eve would sin, and so created a place where he could toss them after they had sinned.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
10-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Duh, to give Satan a playground where he won't bother the adults.

#sigh
10-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Basically, christians and others believe that earth was created so that the already perfect creations he created could go to and have a test performed on them in order to determine if they are good enough to return to heaven or be punished for eternity.

So, in heaven, god created a perfect angel with no free will. Sends it to earth as a newborn or whatever. Gives it free will...if it succeeds in pleasing god. Your free will is stripped of you and your made perfect again which makes everything god did up until than completely pointless and if you do not. You are stripped of your free will and send to hell to burn and be punished for being given free will and doing it wrong because you were no longer perfect as a result of something god did.

makes perfect sense right?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
10-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Human evolution explains our self centered nature. Not just with Christianity but throughout our species evolution. Humans could not get off the planet in our early existence, and when we viewed the clouds and sun and stars(really are suns we know now), but back then everything from our point of view seemed to go around the earth so we viewed ourselves as the center of the universe.

Creation myths are not new to Christianity and many cultures prior had their own. Cosmos the new tv series took time to point out common myths that were independently made up by various cultures. In antiquity comets were often viewed as evil signs.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2014, 07:35 PM
I think the authors of Genesis original intent was to create a narrative of creation that could mesh with their other mythologies of origination, (borrowed from the Babylonians) it was more about how we got here and not why. It never really touches the purpose of humanity or lifeforms in general. Why not make a spiritual being that exercises choice, but doesn't disobey? Why is choice a value that's even important to a god? Why does a god NEED to create anything?Doesn't need imply incompleteness and imperfection?
Another one of those plot holes in the biblical narrative.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
10-09-2014, 08:02 PM
(10-09-2014 04:52 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Unsurprisingly, it doesn't make any sense if you take into account the Bible. Eden was not on Earth. There is absolutely no reason for YHWH to have made Earth, unless he knew Adam and Eve would sin, and so created a place where he could toss them after they had sinned.

If the Christian god is all-knowing, as Christians claim, then he did know that Adam and Eve would sin. The incredibly stupid thing is creating them knowing they were going to sin before you even create them, then getting pissed off when it happens. It's as stupid as me standing on a 1,000 foot high ledge and dropping a glass from it, and then getting pissed that the glass broke when it hit the pavement. It's flat out stupidity.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
10-09-2014, 08:14 PM
I really like the view portrayed in Milton's Paradise Lost....that the life on earth is merely a test to see whether we are truly good or evil because how could we know if someone is truly good if there is nothing to tempt them with? Can we truly have good without a comparative evil?
10-09-2014, 08:57 PM
(10-09-2014 04:52 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Unsurprisingly, it doesn't make any sense if you take into account the Bible. Eden was not on Earth. There is absolutely no reason for YHWH to have made Earth, unless he knew Adam and Eve would sin, and so created a place where he could toss them after they had sinned.

It wasn't? Wasn't the whole thing that God made the planet, made all the stuff on it, then made a dude to hang with all the new animals, then made a girl once he got lonely?

Or, did the Sunday School and children's book version (now that I think about it, I don't even know where I first heard this story) leave out something, as usual? Huh

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
10-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Not only Earth, but why even make people?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post