In Defense of Us A-hole Atheists
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2013, 08:39 PM
In Defense of Us A-hole Atheists
I realize that you Seth are tired of contrarians and haters but I think you should reconsider your position towards us - asshole atheists. In one of your recent podcasts you talked about walking into a room and posed a question if one would rather walk into a room and be greeted warmly or not. For one, us asshole atheists don't care if we are liked or not and two: we are not assholes to people who are in rooms that we walk into and expect to be greeted warmly. I don't think that is very likely that I will ever walk into a room full of people who tweet to #atheism "Islam is the answer" or "Jesus is the answer" and expect to be greeted warmly. We asshole atheists have a role to play. And it is an important role. In military terms it would be called denying the enemy the use of Internet. You cannot respond with a thoughtful essay to someone tweeting "Islam is the answer" to a #atheism and #atheist hashtag. What you can do is you respond with is "If the answer is Islam then the question is: what religion discriminates women most" or if they tweet "Jesus is the answer'" you respond with "If Jesus is the answer then the question is which god impregnated his own mother so he could be born?". Or "If Jesus is the answer than the question is which immortal god died for our sins?" It works. We suppress their bullshit. For a while anyway.

We atheists don't have much to offer. Religions offer eternal life and living in a state of perpetual happiness. What we have to offer is: that thing you believe in is not true, you live only once, enjoy the life you have.

All that other stuff where you realize that the Universe is amazing and religions are just primitive myths comes later.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2013, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 10:31 PM by evenheathen.)
RE: In Defense of Us A-hole Atheists
I don't disagree necessarily. You gotta understand everyday people, and I get the feeling that Seth does.

Something about flies and vinegar and honey or some shit. I can't remember.

There's internet warfare, indeed. There's human compassion too. Seth regards (not just Seth, I mention him because you did) compassion for other humans to be of the utmost importance, regardless of their beliefs, perhaps because of their beliefs.

As an atheist, the best I can hope for in the fight against religion is understanding. Understanding is how a believer will come to see the reason in an argument.

You can't realize if you don't understand. You won't truly understand if you're bullied into it. That's a religious tactic.

I see the necessity of "terseness" in forums like this at times. Some assholes need to be dealt with on their own level. Especially on forums like this.

What Seth is getting at is that we are all deserving of the chance to make up our minds without being berated at every turn just for holding a different opinion, likely an opinion we've been taught to believe a truth since birth. I'd venture that the majority of believers have the same doubts and misconceptions that we all did, perhaps if given the chance to ask and explore instead of being told how or what to think or believe, more people would accept the reason and logic that we espouse.

But I'll agree, atheist assholes are useful at times.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
RE: In Defense of Us A-hole Atheists
I defend your right to be jerks for two reasons:

*It strengthens my position as a Christian in the eyes of the world

*My firm belief in your rights to be both nice and jerky as Cratheists