In God We Trust, Georgia.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 01:13 PM
In God We Trust, Georgia.
Georgia state law makers what to provide "In God We Trust" stickers to the public for free for their license plates. Government money, obtained from taxes, going to the one and only: Christian God!

I read this here:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-for-free/

Along with a petition here:

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-gove...-we-trust#

Please sign the petition.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 02:49 PM by germanyt.)
RE: In God We Trust, Georgia.
They will get away with it because they aren't forcing anyone to use it and the word God doesn't endorse a specific religion. Unless enough people complain about the waste of money I'm sure you'll see these stickers before too long.
Am I reading the petition right? They want to charge fees to remove the language or are complaining about fees to put it on the plate?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Well at least it's nice to know that they've solved everything else in Georgia and can waste time and money on shit like this!

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
01-03-2012, 03:58 PM
(01-03-2012 02:46 PM)germanyt Wrote:  They will get away with it because they aren't forcing anyone to use it and the word God doesn't endorse a specific religion. Unless enough people complain about the waste of money I'm sure you'll see these stickers before too long.
Am I reading the petition right? They want to charge fees to remove the language or are complaining about fees to put it on the plate?

The word God does yet the word god doesn't... the it isn't endorsing a specific religion isn't even one of the arguments that were used by the courts when they justified In God We Trust as the motto and on money. Their top argument in the cases opinions were that the phrase really doesn't mean anything to them because of it's common use, therefore it isn't really a religious statement in anyway. (Of course the stance only Christians would take on the subject who would complain if it were gods.)
01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
The answer is to ask for equal money for free "ATHEIST" stickers.
If you live in GA go for it.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
(01-03-2012 02:46 PM)germanyt Wrote:  They will get away with it because they aren't forcing anyone to use it and the word God doesn't endorse a specific religion. Unless enough people complain about the waste of money I'm sure you'll see these stickers before too long.

It doesn't imply a specific god, you are right. The problem is that it does exclude specific god(s). What if I want In Gods We Trust? Or In Allah We Trust?

It endorses some religions over others and despite it not specifically endorsing one, it does endorse a religion. Establishment clause...

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
01-03-2012, 10:36 PM
ooooo I wonder if I can get some when I get my new drivers license, I could have fun with those.