"In God We Trust" on cop cars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2015, 04:46 AM
RE: "In God We Trust" on cop cars
Saw that on the news this morning and it pissed me off.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2015, 05:49 AM
As an aside, I do hate some, who, like me, know it was wrong to put it on the money, but get the history wrong.

"In God We Trust", showed up on some coins as early as the 1890s. It was put on all currency in the 50s.

The motto was never meant to be pluralistic, it was created by Christians to set up a social pecking order putting Christianity at the top of the social chain.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2015, 07:02 AM
(07-09-2015 01:09 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'm waiting for the first high-speed chase to end with the atheist suspect claiming they were afraid to stop because christian police would kill them.

Read your bible Pablo, there are no atheists. We are all in denial but all know the Truth™.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
07-09-2015, 08:50 AM
(07-09-2015 07:02 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 01:09 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'm waiting for the first high-speed chase to end with the atheist suspect claiming they were afraid to stop because christian police would kill them.

Read your bible Pablo, there are no atheists. We are all in denial but all know the Truth™.

Well, if it says so in the bible...it must be bullshit. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
07-09-2015, 09:03 AM
(07-09-2015 05:49 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  As an aside, I do hate some, who, like me, know it was wrong to put it on the money, but get the history wrong.

"In God We Trust", showed up on some coins as early as the 1890s. It was put on all currency in the 50s.

The motto was never meant to be pluralistic, it was created by Christians to set up a social pecking order putting Christianity at the top of the social chain.

I love pointing out the history of the phrase on US currency, especially to people older than me. Tongue
Unfortunately, it has little, to no, effect on conversations that it's brought up in with those theists that think god has a hard on for " 'Merica." This usually pushes me into the point of discussing McCarthyism & the red scare adding, "under god" into our pledge. This, sadly, also means nothing to them. Weeping

I watched TTA interview with Penn earlier this week, & I recall something being said along the lines of....
Penn: "I think we're seeing the unpleasant death throws of religion... it's not going to be pretty."
Seth: "it's going to get nasty. They seem to be getting desperate. The wounded animal metaphor comes to mind."

I don't observe these things in my living area, but if they're true on a larger scale: do you think this could be part of the aforementioned xtians alleged "pecking order" plot?
07-09-2015, 09:13 AM
They don't actually trust in God (read "Yeahweh/Jehovah"). If they actually trusted in that evil bastard, they'd be willing to sacrifice their own children to satisfy the whims of his "mysterious ways."

They trust in an overly-idealized version of what they want their god to be. As if their god weren't fictitious enough already, they believe in an even more fictitious one that's literally pulled straight out of their own imaginations, and they still have the gall to claim it as "truth."

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
07-09-2015, 09:26 AM
What is this getting back to where we once where? I often deeply wonder what people think historically when these phrases are said.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-09-2015, 09:33 AM
It is a violation of the separation of church and state. The guy can spin it however he wants, but that is the bottom line; as has been mentioned, it is his xtian god, since he is an xtian...even though allah is the same alleged deity. Let someone put "in allah we trust" on a squad car and see what happens.
07-09-2015, 10:26 AM
(06-09-2015 10:19 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  "... I think with all the assaults happening on officers across the country ... it's time we get back to where we once were ..."

The mentality that thinks a decal will abate crime is not the mentality to be doing that job. But then I've always thought the mentality that WANTS to be the police is not the mentality that should be doing that job either - yet it has to be done by someone.

I have no way of proving it but I believe if police disarmed crimes against them directly would plummet, and arrests would decrease too (so the guy who steals a beer from Wal-Mart would probably be left to get away with it - but do we really need to fill the jails and graveyards with beer thieves?)
07-09-2015, 10:37 AM
(07-09-2015 09:13 AM)cactus Wrote:  They don't actually trust in God (read "Yeahweh/Jehovah"). If they actually trusted in that evil bastard, they'd be willing to sacrifice their own children to satisfy the whims of his "mysterious ways."

[Emphasis mine.]

Oh, but they do sacrifice their own children all the time. It's called war.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines