In God's Image

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2016, 03:39 PM
In God's Image
Every once and awhile during a debate with a Christian I bring up how the Bible says Adam was made in God's image. What does this mean? It wouldn't make any sense for God to have a mouth for example, he doesn't need one to eat or speak, he doesn't need eyes to see or ears to hear, being an incorporeal all knowing being and immortal it wouldn't make sense for God to have any of the physical traits of a man.

Usually once they realize the impossibility and the silliness of a God looking like a hairless upright primate they say "No, it's not his actual image but his characteristics, like his morality, intelligence, etc." but, even that interpretation is not right, we don't have nearly the amount of intelligence God has, the story of Genesis makes it very clear that God is not like the ignorant, easily tempted, emotionally weak being that Adam is. The Bible states several times when God does something truly awful that it's ok, God can do that but humans can't, we are not on the same level in any way. Is it the the idea that we have a "soul" and so does God? Ok who gave him his soul? Is it a gift only for humans and why are our souls so easily corruptible to the point where it can be damned forever? if God gave it to us and it's his "image" of a soul, shouldn't it be perfect because he's perfect?

We aren't the only self-aware intelligent animals after all, even Gorillas have been taught sign language and can understand death and morality, were they made in God's image as well? So...
When the Bible says we/men were created in God's "image" what does that mean?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
28-03-2016, 03:48 PM
RE: In God's Image
Imagination? Imaginarium? Fuck if I know.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
28-03-2016, 04:22 PM
(28-03-2016 03:39 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Every once and awhile during a debate with a Christian I bring up how the Bible says Adam was made in God's image. What does this mean? It wouldn't make any sense for God to have a mouth for example, he doesn't need one to eat or speak, he doesn't need eyes to see or ears to hear, being an incorporeal all knowing being and immortal it wouldn't make sense for God to have any of the physical traits of a man.

Usually once they realize the impossibility and the silliness of a God looking like a hairless upright primate they say "No, it's not his actual image but his characteristics, like his morality, intelligence, etc." but, even that interpretation is not right, we don't have nearly the amount of intelligence God has, the story of Genesis makes it very clear that God is not like the ignorant, easily tempted, emotionally weak being that Adam is. The Bible states several times when God does something truly awful that it's ok, God can do that but humans can't, we are not on the same level in any way. Is it the the idea that we have a "soul" and so does God? Ok who gave him his soul? Is it a gift only for humans and why are our souls so easily corruptible to the point where it can be damned forever? if God gave it to us and it's his "image" of a soul, shouldn't it be perfect because he's perfect?

We aren't the only self-aware intelligent animals after all, even Gorillas have been taught sign language and can understand death and morality, were they made in God's image as well? So...
When the Bible says we/men were created in God's "image" what does that mean?

Yes.. on that day that he created Adam and Lilith? Yeah, God was suffering a divine level of creator's block and some serious back log of work he had to finish caused by some dude called... um.. oh yeah, Satan.

Adam and Lilith were the best things he could think of before the dead line came about.

Tongue
28-03-2016, 04:42 PM
I was married to a black lady at the time I was going to the New Age church I have mentioned a few times. I am Germanic stock and look the part. Male pattern baldness from the age of 37 or so etc...She had this thing she liked to say 'If mankind was made in God's image did he look more like I do or like my husband, cause we don't look nuthn alike!'
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
28-03-2016, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2016 05:11 PM by Anjele.)
Man created god in his image so it follows that Adam was made in that image also.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
28-03-2016, 05:06 PM
God created us at his image, but he sucks at drawing so we don't look or behave like him at all (on another note though, unlike him, some of us are really good at drawing).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
28-03-2016, 05:07 PM
It means God has nipples

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-03-2016, 05:12 PM
(28-03-2016 05:07 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It means God has nipples

And a belly button.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Does God have an innie or an outie...

...sex organ?

Maybe He has ambiguous genitalia. That would be pretty cool.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
28-03-2016, 05:17 PM
(28-03-2016 05:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-03-2016 05:07 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It means God has nipples

And a belly button.

And a micropenis.

[Image: david_2.jpg]

#sigh