In God's Image

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2016, 02:34 PM
RE: In God's Image
(27-04-2016 01:01 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 12:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Are you sure the LDS is not Buddhist influenced? 'Cause that sounds a lot like Buddhism.
It seems to me more like chucksterism. Mormons want to be like Chuck Norris but all of them will fall short. Nobody can match Chuck Norris power.
Yes

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
27-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Well you know what they say. If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
27-04-2016, 04:07 PM
(27-04-2016 05:14 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I never said it's bad to have a physical body.

Well Jesus is supposed to be god. So one can look at the following scripture. It makes no sense of course. But it does show god can become physical.

Also recall, it was a later decision that Jesus was of the three.

Luke 24:36-43King James Version (KJV)

36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Of course in Revelation 1:8 we get this.

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Meaningless drivel, of course.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
27-04-2016, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2016 05:56 PM by Leo.)
(27-04-2016 01:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 01:01 PM)Leo Wrote:  It seems to me more like chucksterism. Mormons want to be like Chuck Norris but all of them will fall short. Nobody can match Chuck Norris power.

That's what I'm taking about. Chuck Norris is more powerful than all the gods (billions of them ) put together.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
29-04-2016, 09:34 AM
There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.
[+] 5 users Like ohio_drg's post
29-04-2016, 10:47 AM
(29-04-2016 09:34 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.
^^^^ this.YesYes

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
30-07-2016, 10:01 PM
(28-03-2016 03:39 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  We aren't the only self-aware intelligent animals after all, even Gorillas have been taught sign language and can understand death and morality, were they made in God's image as well? So...

Believe it or not, this was one of the first things that lead to my realising that I was an atheist while still in my early teens. I was attending a religious school at the time but as I had a keen interest in wildlife I did a lot of extra-curricular reading on zoologically-themed topics. Without knowing much (if anything at all) about evolution back then, it seemed obvious to me that the Judaeo-Christian belief that man is separate from the other animals was flawed. As far as I was concerned there was a gradient and trying to draw a line anywhere along that gradient to claim one side was drastically different enough from the other side to warrant special attention from an all powerful supernatural being seemed bizarre. Sure, we humans have a bigger brain than our next nearest relatives (and most of us are a bit less hairy) but what's a handful of nerve tissue and an upright posture in the grand scheme of things considering the huge variation in physical structure and lifestyles among living (and extinct) organisms? Why did this god choose one species over all of the millions of others, unless that god was a concept created by self-centred, arrogant humans?

(28-03-2016 03:39 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Every once and awhile during a debate with a Christian I bring up how the Bible says Adam was made in God's image. What does this mean? It wouldn't make any sense for God to have a mouth for example, he doesn't need one to eat or speak, he doesn't need eyes to see or ears to hear, being an incorporeal all knowing being and immortal it wouldn't make sense for God to have any of the physical traits of a man.

On a similar vein, another question that came up in my teen self's brain was why, given the number of organisms on Earth that practice asexual reproduction, the Judaeo-Christian god had to have a sex or a gender if he was never going to have sex (I don't think I'd learned about the immaculate conception then, as I was attending a Jewish school). This, too, suggested a god created by a chauvinistic human society.
[+] 4 users Like crocdoc's post
31-07-2016, 09:39 AM
(30-07-2016 10:01 PM)crocdoc Wrote:  
(28-03-2016 03:39 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  We aren't the only self-aware intelligent animals after all, even Gorillas have been taught sign language and can understand death and morality, were they made in God's image as well? So...

Believe it or not, this was one of the first things that lead to my realising that I was an atheist while still in my early teens. I was attending a religious school at the time but as I had a keen interest in wildlife I did a lot of extra-curricular reading on zoologically-themed topics. Without knowing much (if anything at all) about evolution back then, it seemed obvious to me that the Judaeo-Christian belief that man is separate from the other animals was flawed. As far as I was concerned there was a gradient and trying to draw a line anywhere along that gradient to claim one side was drastically different enough from the other side to warrant special attention from an all powerful supernatural being seemed bizarre. Sure, we humans have a bigger brain than our next nearest relatives (and most of us are a bit less hairy) but what's a handful of nerve tissue and an upright posture in the grand scheme of things considering the huge variation in physical structure and lifestyles among living (and extinct) organisms? Why did this god choose one species over all of the millions of others, unless that god was a concept created by self-centred, arrogant humans?

(28-03-2016 03:39 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Every once and awhile during a debate with a Christian I bring up how the Bible says Adam was made in God's image. What does this mean? It wouldn't make any sense for God to have a mouth for example, he doesn't need one to eat or speak, he doesn't need eyes to see or ears to hear, being an incorporeal all knowing being and immortal it wouldn't make sense for God to have any of the physical traits of a man.

On a similar vein, another question that came up in my teen self's brain was why, given the number of organisms on Earth that practice asexual reproduction, the Judaeo-Christian god had to have a sex or a gender if he was never going to have sex (I don't think I'd learned about the immaculate conception then, as I was attending a Jewish school). This, too, suggested a god created by a chauvinistic human society.

This kinda reminds me of when I was about 8 years old, I was sitting next our family dog, Geronimo, who was sleeping next to me. He was a very docile dog. I started looking at his paws and counting his toes. At first I could only find 4 toes but then I found the other one on his ankle area. It was kinda like a thumb. And it dawned on me that he had five toes....JUST LIKE ME! Big Grin

And then I started feeling his bones in his legs and realized he had an knee type joint and shoulders and a back bone and ears and eyes and one nose and heart and even ribs .......JUST LIKE ME! Big Grin

I realized that we were related somehow. I didn't know how we were related or how it happened but I thought it was the neatest thing that my dog and I shared all the same stuff. I don't understand why people get so upset about being related to animals or don't consider themselves part of the animal kingdom. (oh that's right, religion Dodgy ) I find it very comforting that we're all animals and here on this planet together.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-01-2017, 08:20 AM
(28-03-2016 03:39 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  When the Bible says we/men were created in God's "image" what does that mean?
What does it matter? Other than it is the bible reason not to commit murder? Genesis 9:6.
28-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Usually once they realize the impossibility and the silliness of a God looking like a hairless upright primate they say "No, it's not his actual image but his characteristics, like his morality, intelligence, etc." but, even that interpretation is not right, we don't have nearly the amount of intelligence God has, the story of Genesis makes it very clear that God is not like the ignorant, easily tempted, emotionally weak being that Adam is. The Bible states several times when God does something truly awful that it's ok, God can do that but humans can't, we are not on the same level in any way. Is it the the idea that we have a "soul" and so does God? Ok who gave him his soul? Is it a gift only for humans and why are our souls so easily corruptible to the point where it can be damned forever? if God gave it to us and it's his "image" of a soul, shouldn't it be perfect because he's perfect?

We aren't the only self-aware intelligent animals after all, even Gorillas have been taught sign language and can understand death and morality, were they made in God's image as well? So...
When the Bible says we/men were created in God's "image" what does that mean?

the periodic table. we are in that image, so maybe their god is too.

over lay that when looking at your world view. It explains a lot.