In Interesting Turn of Events

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2014, 02:02 PM
RE: In Interesting Turn of Events
Aunty being idiot. Way to keep the believer isn't to apply the stick. Must have carrot. If she treated you oh-so-nice and was a living breathing example of what real righteous Christianity was, she'd have so much a better chance to bring you back to the Lord. Unfortunately she went the stupid route, which is always more tempting, of trying to force you to toe the line. Might work in short term but will result in generally lowered opinion of Christianity, if such action is supposedly "good".

I think you should try be totally honest with her like what Bows said. Rather get it out in the open. These kinda what-if things - what if they think X, Y or Z - you just gotta face them head on. So what if it's 'cos of Winter, they have an equal opportunity to convince you otherwise - much better opportunity if you're back with them. Are you not entitled to your own opinion? Is it that your opinions (according to them) must always come from an external source and you yourself aren't expected to have the wit to apply a bit of critical thought yourself?

Do the honesty. Get the lift with aunty. If no work, if she still refuse, make plan somehow else. Borrow cash. But best is if you mend rift - means be honest, don't be push-over though.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Let them try to stick it on Winter. Then you get the opportunity to tell them how wonderful he is because he isn't pressuring you to conform to his ways, he is ok with you being who ever it is that you decide you want to be unlike the aunt. Then explain that your parents didn't raise you to be a fool to just follow innocently along to who ever came along with a good story. That you were taught to reason, to question and if God is so wonderful then you will see that and they shouldn't be worried. But you need to work through your doubts and not just follow blindly them or Winter.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
12-12-2014, 02:39 PM
But really , there comes a day when you say " I'm an adult, and I'm going to live my life this way. And it's too bad that you (family) can't be happy for me, but I don't need your approval or support because I know this is right for me"

It sucks when you lose $1000 in the process but it happens.

And you have to be in a position to support yourself. Independence like Mathilda referred to earlier.

[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
12-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Hertz is a great, cheap rent and independence can come in handy when the house gets just too small to fit everyone...and that damned atheist. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-12-2014, 02:50 PM
You never know when the Christmas spirit will hit, what airport would you be flying in/out of? Maybe someone will be your Santa and give you a lift in their sleigh.

12-12-2014, 05:20 PM
You guys are right... I really just need to be honest with her and hope for the best... I don't think I really have much other choice at this point...

Oh, and if I can manage to get there on time, I will be flying into and out of the San Antonio, Texas airport... but I'm having to get there from San Marcos.
12-12-2014, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 06:26 PM by Anjele.)
(12-12-2014 05:20 PM)AutumnWolf000 Wrote:  You guys are right... I really just need to be honest with her and hope for the best... I don't think I really have much other choice at this point...

Oh, and if I can manage to get there on time, I will be flying into and out of the San Antonio, Texas airport... but I'm having to get there from San Marcos.

Doesn't that airport have long term parking?

Or rent a car for a day, drive to the airport and do the same in reverse. You can get some pretty cheap rental cars. Actually probably cheaper than long term parking.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-12-2014, 04:58 AM
I would point her to 1 corinthians about love being kind and unconditional and by her only helping you under the right conditions violates gods word. That may resonate with her.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
13-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Let's think about this in terms of who has the power. That is the core issue here, not what people believe. That is just an excuse and a distraction.

You aren't living your life as your aunt would like so she is trying to force to do so.

Your aunt thinks that she has all the power. She only has the power because you let her. You can have the power by calling her bluff.

What would happen if you explained that you are unable to come home for Christmas and lay the blame squarely on your aunt? Explain that this is the only way that you are able to get back for Christmas, that you had relied on your aunt keeping her promises, that she has left you out of pocket and that you need to be sure that you can leave again without being coerced.

Be frank with your language. She is coercing you and demanding that you lie if need be. Explain that you really want to get home for Christmas but it's only your aunt that is stopping you.

You need to be willing to write off money that you have spent on this trip otherwise it will be good money after bad, or ending up in an intolerable position. Yes you wanted your family to meet your new partner but that can happen another time when you are more independent. Recognise that there is social pressure on you to come home for Christmas and this is not for your benefit.

You can call your aunt's bluff and then you will be the one deciding how she can make it up to you. And if she doesn't then you have rid yourself of a toxic relationship.

This is a situation where you need to assert yourself and lay down the law. If you do go then you need to be absolutely 100% sure that the travel arrangements are satisfactory and can be relied upon.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
13-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Find a way to get from the airport to your family. Regardless of how it happens, show up incredibly late, very disheveled, and claim that the almightly creator has guided you home... Then proceede to praise his noodly appendages at the dinner table.