In Need of Some Help
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2012, 06:12 AM
In Need of Some Help
Hello Every one I am new to the community even though I have been watching this site grow over the years, this my 1st time reaching out. I wrote a breif introduction of my self on the intro thread. I do not believe in god and I would like to get better defending my choice. I am familiar with basic evolution and earth science but I need to know more.

Unfortunately I am not the brightest bulb on the pagan tree and I have a hard time with some of the big authors. I tried reading "god is not great" but I had to look up a word every 2 sentences (It was very frustrating). I need people to talk to, I am the new guy here who does not like to drink and stays out of trouble. In the army that generally means you have no friends. It has been quite a depressing few weeks since I have been in Korea. I am not allowed to leave post for 45 days so that means I will be alone in my room for the holidays. So I would appreciate some suggestions on to keep my mind of things.

No I am not suicidal if thats what you guys are thinking, just a bit down. So I am trying to take this time to better my knowledge on this subject. I would appreciate maybe a starters guide to being an atheist? Maybe some core readings just to get me off the ground? I would gladly appreciate it. Thanks a lot guys I look forward to what you guys will say.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 08:15 AM
RE: In Need of Some Help
Personally I thought "The God Delusion" was fairly approachable.

I'm not sure if there can be 'a' starter's guide to Atheism, since everyone comes to it differently. Some are born in nonbelieving families, and so never had the teachings of the Church (or mosque or temple or what have you) pounded into them. Some never bought what religion was selling. Some came to it by being angry over a failing of the church (kind of being woken up by getting punched in the gut, I suppose.) And some clawed their own way out of that pit.

In some ways, atheism is like art. People bring their own experiences and interpretations. Some people, looking at art, admire the skill and fine detail, some just find it relaxing, some look at the picture and try to find some deep meaning, some look at it and go "I don't get it, but I like it."

Personally, the science that not just gets me going but helps (to me) emphasize the ludicracy not just of religion but of killing each other over believing something slightly different would be astronomy/astrophysics. Not only does the sheer size of the universe and the structures in it (stars that could hold millions of our own sun, galactic "clumps" and strings, etc) lead to a feeling of awe - but the realization this is you, that 'star stuff' is where you came from (literally - the heavier elements being created in and by exploding stars,) just - well, makes me feel better than religion ever did.

And it has some very approachable advocates, especially in the late Carl Sagan and Neil de Grasse Tyson. Hawking, for all the scary-intelligent mind he has, has some fairly easy to deal with books, too.
[+] 2 users Like Ricochet180's post
07-12-2012, 12:53 PM
RE: In Need of Some Help
Hey Dro, I'm glad you decided to participate a bit with the forum. Smile
Check out this thread.
There are TONS of resources there, so you'll likely find something that clicks with you.
Can you access YouTube? Check out this guy's channel. Evid3nc3

I can't link to any particular vids from work, but look for his "deconversion" story and his "history of god" series. They are excellently put together and put into laymen's terms to give you a broad sense of knowledge.
Beyond that, as you have already done in this thread...feel free to ask questions if you have something specific you're wondering about.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post