In Wellington

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2013, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 08:18 AM by Hafnof.)
In Wellington
I've worked the last couple of night shifts and the Auckland train control system's alarms are now fixed, more or less, so I'm in Wellington today (Sunday) and some of Monday with hopefully no more night work ahead of me this trip. What's a boring old man like me to do in a town like this? Head up the cable car? Peruse the museum?
Auckland is next on the itinerary before I return home Wednesday, so suggestions for that leg are welcome also.
I'm a bit of a food tourist. Are there any dishes, beers etc I should try while here that I wouldn't find on my side of the Tasman?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2013, 08:24 AM
RE: In Wellington
(12-10-2013 08:14 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I've worked the last couple of night shifts and the Auckland train control system's alarms are now fixed, more or less, so I'm in Wellington today (Sunday) and some of Monday with hopefully no more night work ahead of me this trip. What's a boring old man like me to do in a town like this? Head up the cable car? Peruse the museum?
Auckland is next on the itinerary before I return home Wednesday, so suggestions for that leg are welcome also.
I'm a bit of a food tourist. Are there any dishes, beers etc I should try while here that I wouldn't find on my side of the Tasman?

Take 'Muffs to dinner?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Check out http://www.hippopotamus.co.nz/

Then, afterwards, tell us how much you enjoyed spending, on one meal, more than Muffsy spends on his annual food budget.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Well, muffs. We could spend an afternoon discussing access to abortion and any other pressing issues of the day. I'm staying about two minutes walk from the central railway station. Otherwise I might find myself hanging out in bars for a good potion of the day.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
12-10-2013, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 10:20 AM by earmuffs.)
Cool. The museum is pretty good, and free (though the cafe is bloody expensive and you have to pay to visit the limited time display thing. There's an aztec display thing on at the moment I believe, unless it's something else. It changes all the time.).
It's very New Zealand focused, which I guess is what you'd expect from our national museum. Also take in into account, it's very... educational. Like school kids go on field trips there. So take that to mean what you wish.
Oh almost forgot. They are showing a cloak that the Maori king gave Chairmen Mao (the chinese guy that caused famine and mass death etc..) 50 yeas ago.
A traditional Maori cloak, all the feathers etc..

2 minutes from the railway station? Consider You staying at the Ridges?
That old government building and that tall something story building to the left of the railway station (when facing the railway station standing outside the McDonalds) is my university campus, or was I should say. The beehive, aka parliament buildings, is to the left of that. You can take the tour around the parliament buildings, it's free and the only place outside an airport you'll have to walk through a metal detector in this shitty country. But I don't know how exciting that'd be for you.

There's not much up the cable car. I use to take it pretty much every week day when I lived up there (student rates) coming back from work.
It is probably your best best to get a good view of the city though. It can get pretty crowded during the day too.
You'd need to take a taxi or the bus up to Mount Victoria (which is a better view) which is a pain.

Wellington is defiantly pretty good for food. For New Zealand standards anyway.
Certainly lots of variety. Cuba street is the food street if you're looking for restaurants. Logan Brown is suppose to be pretty good if you you're looking for a place that charges $30 for an entree.
The Hippopotamus, as DLJ said, is suppose to be pretty good too. You'll have to ask him though, he's actually been there. My flatmate works there.
Shed 5 might be your best bet. It's close to you, it's well reviewed and it has whitebait fritters which is very kiwi (though you do get whitebait in Australia, but I don't know how much you guys eat it.). The whitebait fritters are expensive though because whitebait is fucking expensive.

As for beers, I'm probably not the best person to be asking considering I don't drink.
Though Mac's is a Wellington beer. And you could try Speights, that's a kiwi beer (I think, they certainly promote as one). And Tui. Tui is a really popular beer you likely don't get over there.
There's a little Belgium pub down Featherston street (not far from you) that serves Belgium beer. But I don't think you came to NZ to buy Belgium beer. Tongue
I'm not 100% familiar with the alcohol what's good and what isn't.

As for events you've come at a bit of uneventful time by the looks of things.

But yes, I would be happy to discuss abortion and other assorted topics with you.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
12-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Check out Weta Workshop
Go for a run down the water front.
See the view atop Mt Vic.
11-12-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm back in town. I definitely need to get to the weta work shop this time around.

11-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Beef Wellington. Duh.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche