In a constant brain fog.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Sad In a constant brain fog.
What's up guys, I've been gone for a pretty long time and I'm just getting back into the habit of posting.

Anyway, lately I have been in a constant state of brain fog, like I'm just a mindless drone. I think I feel this way because I have almost no social interaction (outside of the internet) because it is summer.

I always feel more about my wits when I am in school, and I don't know what that's all about. It's bothering me that I've been having trouble with my sentence structure and spelling lately considering that I'm usually able to breeze through my writing exercises without any typos or grammatical errors (which is not the case lately).

I don't know what this could be, maybe it's my constant binges of junk food and Battlefield 3 that is dumbing me down. Even more recently, I have quit reading the daily posts of the New Scientist website and have also quit my good habit of reading and daydreaming about science.

I've looked this up quite a lot, and the results I've gotten back tell me that I have clinical depression which isn't like me at all. I've never really been depressed in my life so I don't know how it's supposed to feel, but I do miss the social interaction with my friends at school (which won't be happening because all of my friend are going to private schools now).

Like I said, I've never been depressed, and I don't even think I am now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2013, 08:46 PM
RE: In a constant brain fog.
I feel ya, man. I've been through a bit of the same thing more or less. Not the same situation, but the feeling of being.......off.

Things just not quite where they should be, and no direct or easily understandable reason why. I did the same kind of research (I"m assuming) and all signs pointed to the same conclusion of clinical depression.

I agree, it didn't/doesn't (it kind of comes and goes) feel like I was depressed, but it was there just the same. It's not really an overwhelming thing for me, but my wife sure notices when I go through a spell.

I find that what helps me is to accept that what I'm feeling is in my mind. Usually I'm over thinking things and spending too much time dwelling on issues that either a: will work themselves out eventually, or b: I have no control of whatsoever, so it's not worth obsessing over.

If I can let things go......just relax and focus more on what's positive in my life I find that I feel better.

A good stiff drink usually helps mellow me out too. Tongue Speaking of which......

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Do some walking/hiking every day/other day it will help with the feeling of being a lazy shit.

Also get a project or tackle something new. Sometimes I just get sick of playing video games and I need to read a book or learn some new songs or write a program or get scuba certified or buy something that goes fast and makes noises...sometimes if you clean the bathroom rather than crapping in a your own personal truck stop, you will feel good about it for awhile Tongue

Audio books are my secret weapon, I can get shit done and still be entertained.

Also are you in college/at home now for the summer and living with your parents? because that is just what it feels like to live with your parents after being @ school...I started working summers on campus and got an apt. after freshman year, way, way, way better for me mentally.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Go talk to a mental health professional.

Seriously. That's their job. If you had some minor but insistent physical twinge, you'd up and see a doctor if it lingered and didn't improve, yeah? For a mental twinge you might wanna consider a head doctor. "Hope it goes away" is not a reliable form of self-treatment (nor is amateur self-diagnosis particularly useful - hell, professionals are sternly warned not to self-diagnose!).

Though, that does assume fairly thorough health insurance. Such as would cover said. So, modify if necessary, I guess...
28-06-2013, 09:20 PM
(28-06-2013 06:07 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I've looked this up quite a lot, and the results I've gotten back tell me that I have clinical depression which isn't like me at all. I've never really been depressed in my life so I don't know how it's supposed to feel, but I do miss the social interaction with my friends at school (which won't be happening because all of my friend are going to private schools now).

Like I said, I've never been depressed, and I don't even think I am now.

Not diagnosing you, but I have similar symptoms and it is apparently "pseudodementia" in my case (caused by drugs or depression, not actual brain degeneration and is reversible). My therapist just mentioned it to me because I had the same symptoms you just mentioned, but in my case, caused by corticosteroids. Exaggerated apathy, trouble remembering shit, massive brain fog, depersonalization. Also, depression doesn't mean feeling sad or feeling sorry for yourself, it can be apathy (and often is). (I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder and schizoid personality disorder also, so you can probably just assume I am generally insane and ignore my posts.) But yeah, I think depression could be the culprit, also.

Just mentioning these things because your post reminded me of myself lately, since I've been on certain meds (diagnosis for this was substance induced organic affective mood disorder or some such shit).

I agree with cjlr though. If you are concerned about something, you should consider seeing a professional, who can not only diagnose, but also make suggestions to help things.
28-06-2013, 09:27 PM
(28-06-2013 08:46 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  A good stiff drink usually helps mellow me out too. Tongue Speaking of which......

Consider

To be clear, in no way was I trying to endorse alcohol use as an effective treatment for depression. I was just sayin......Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Quote: Also are you in college/at home now for the summer and living with your parents? because that is just what it feels like to live with your parents after being @ school...I started working summers on campus and got an apt. after freshman year, way, way, way better for me mentally.

Actually, it's fine that I live with my parents considering I will be a sophomore in high school next year.

I've just been sitting in a pile of my own filth, reading comic books and playing video games among other things.
28-06-2013, 09:50 PM
(28-06-2013 09:27 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 08:46 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  A good stiff drink usually helps mellow me out too. Tongue Speaking of which......

Consider

To be clear, in no way was I trying to endorse alcohol use as an effective treatment for depression. I was just sayin......Big Grin

Big Grin , It's not like I could get hands on that stuff anyways (wouldn't want to) because I'm under the legal age!
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
28-06-2013, 10:26 PM
(28-06-2013 09:49 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
Quote: Also are you in college/at home now for the summer and living with your parents? because that is just what it feels like to live with your parents after being @ school...I started working summers on campus and got an apt. after freshman year, way, way, way better for me mentally.

Actually, it's fine that I live with my parents considering I will be a sophomore in high school next year.

I've just been sitting in a pile of my own filth, reading comic books and playing video games among other things.

Yeah I've been there. Clean your room, take a walk, take a bike ride, get out of the house, get far away from your parents and your cave of distractions and conquer some goals. Depression is the gulf between deciding you want to do something and actually breaking with routine or convention and doing it. Try it for a week or two, just go through the motions. if you still feel like a sack of shit then go talk to the counsellor or the shrink or whatever. Your too young to get caught up in that whole prescription mood stabilizer racket because you spent a few weeks playing COD in the basement and it threw you out of whack a bit from lack of activity.

...I swear these pharma ads with their sad meatballs and their mopey bath robes get me feeling like I need to pop those pills to feel right and I should know better I make the damn things (the ad material that is).

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
28-06-2013, 10:44 PM
^That seems like saying "just snap out of it," and if it were that easy, no one would ever have any psychological problems.
Quote:Your too young to get caught up in that whole prescription mood stabilizer racket because you spent a few weeks playing COD in the basement and it threw you out of whack a bit from lack of activity.
Also, not everybody provides drugs as a solution. Seeing a therapist or something doesn't necessarily mean getting put on drugs. You also seem to be assuming that lack of activity and video games must be the cause, when it could be a symptom or unrelated. I agree it's probably good to attempt to go do things and exercise, but that doesn't mean it's a cure all. Sometimes, seeing a therapist involves discussing things and trying to find out what the problem is. Not everybody just throws pills at people.