In a few hours I'll be one week without a drink

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2012, 11:32 PM
I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until last Monday morning. After promising my wife I wouldn't drink anymore I guilted her into picking me up a fifth of bourbon. Even told her I didn't need the 1.75L bottle to make it appear like I was thinking responsibly about it. Alcoholics tend to be able to manipulate people from what I understand. Monday morning I felt more conviction about stopping than I have maybe ever before. My wife and I are okay. She is unaware of the thread I created or the issues I brought up. I don't intend to bring it up. I was upset that night and went too far in my comments.

If it's okay I'd rather not discuss the details of that night. I just want to get back to posting like normal.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like germanyt's post
23-12-2012, 11:38 PM
RE: In a few hours I'll be one week without a drink
Good to have you back, dude.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Awesome! I'm also glad to have you back, too.
24-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Glad to hear it. If you have been an alcoholic, it's best to just stay away from the stuff altogether. Not trying to preach at you, that's just what I have observed from alcoholics. Good luck, let us know how things are going from time to time.

24-12-2012, 12:13 AM
That's a big step dude.
And while being addicted to smoking isn't exactly the same thing I can for sure understand the odd realization of how bad it is once you become aware it might be a problem and not just something you do.

I remember one of the first times I quit smoking and how I convinced myself it was ok to just have one smoke because things were really stressful. Then later on... Another... And then on my way home... A pack. This went on for years.

I remember thinking that by telling people I was quitting it might pressure me into going through with it but all it did was make me embarrassed when I failed. Then after a while it became sort of a joke. Oh I'm gonna try quitting again, ha ha might make it a month this time hardy har. Only inside I was sort of ashamed of myself. My willpower was in this instance non existent.

Oh well eventually I got my shit together and now I only want to smoke about once or twice a week. Three years later....I think anyways.

Part of the problem for me that you might face is I wasn't just addicted to smoking, and I didn't just feel miserable, no I actually enjoy the act of smoking. It all boiled down to the fact that I didn't really want to quit but I knew I should. Eventually I wanted to quit as well so it worked.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2012, 12:20 AM
(24-12-2012 12:13 AM)lucradis Wrote:  That's a big step dude.
And while being addicted to smoking isn't exactly the same thing I can for sure understand the odd realization of how bad it is once you become aware it might be a problem and not just something you do.

I remember one of the first times I quit smoking and how I convinced myself it was ok to just have one smoke because things were really stressful. Then later on... Another... And then on my way home... A pack. This went on for years.

I remember thinking that by telling people I was quitting it might pressure me into going through with it but all it did was make me embarrassed when I failed. Then after a while it became sort of a joke. Oh I'm gonna try quitting again, ha ha might make it a month this time hardy har. Only inside I was sort of ashamed of myself. My willpower was in this instance non existent.

Oh well eventually I got my shit together and now I only want to smoke about once or twice a week. Three years later....I think anyways.

Part of the problem for me that you might face is I wasn't just addicted to smoking, and I didn't just feel miserable, no I actually enjoy the act of smoking. It all boiled down to the fact that I didn't really want to quit but I knew I should. Eventually I wanted to quit as well so it worked.
I can relate to everything you posted. I did manage to quit smoking completely back in July though.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
24-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Hey! Smile Good for you! Welcome back! Hug

And Merry Christmas, huh? Thumbsup

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
24-12-2012, 04:23 AM
sober for a week on christmas eve, isn't that a good start out of it? Smile
Happy for you! Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
24-12-2012, 07:02 AM
All I gotta say is... Thumbsup

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.

See here they are the bruises, some were self-inflicted, and some showed up along the way. -JF

Just because her eyes don't tear doesn't mean her heart doesn't cry. Just because she comes off strong doesn't mean there's nothing wrong.
24-12-2012, 07:05 AM
I'll drink a toast to your success tonight.

What? Too soon? Blush

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post