"In an infinite universe..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 11:28 AM
RE: "In an infinite universe..."
(21-08-2012 09:21 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Define an infinite universe? Infinite what? Space? Time? Matter? Vacuum?

The observable universe we can only see so much of. To understand what may be outside that is only equations and guess work since we cannot see it. Who is to know if there are more universes outside our own. Who says our universe is the only universe?

But more importantly, how would you know?

Let's say infinite in time. i.e. there's a boundary at the Big Bang but beyond that boundary is a previous universe. a.la. Roger Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology.

Leonardo da Vinci Wrote:While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
Epicurus Wrote:Death means nothing to us...when we exist, death is not yet present, and when death is present, then we do not exist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Well perhaps the correct way to approach this is that yes: Any event that has a finite probability of occurring per unit time or per unit space and whose probability remains finite over this infinite set must occur within the infinite set.

However, things that aren't finitely probable after the energy runs out or the entropy increases beyond a particular limit don't experience this phenomenon.

Run a Bernoulli trial an infinite number of times and the probability of true coming up will approach 1 for any nonzero constant p, but if the p approaches zero over that time then the overall probability may still not reach 1.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
01-09-2012, 05:40 AM
(31-08-2012 07:16 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Well perhaps the correct way to approach this is that yes: Any event that has a finite probability of occurring per unit time or per unit space and whose probability remains finite over this infinite set must occur within the infinite set.

However, things that aren't finitely probable after the energy runs out or the entropy increases beyond a particular limit don't experience this phenomenon.

Run a Bernoulli trial an infinite number of times and the probability of true coming up will approach 1 for any nonzero constant p, but if the p approaches zero over that time then the overall probability may still not reach 1.

Thanks Thumbsup

So it depends on whether the universe is infinite, and if it is then infinite repetition is certain. But we don't know the universe is infinite unless we assume it is - like in the OP. Big Grin

Leonardo da Vinci Wrote:While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
Epicurus Wrote:Death means nothing to us...when we exist, death is not yet present, and when death is present, then we do not exist.
01-09-2012, 08:55 AM
In an infinite universe, non-infinite quantities reduce to zero, and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-09-2012, 08:58 AM
(01-09-2012 08:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In an infinite universe, non-infinite quantities reduce to zero, and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Big Grin

Actually, using calculus, they "approach" zero, but same diff.
Amazing insight. But ya ain't gettin no raise there Johnny. It's all in a days work, for a prophet.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

02-09-2012, 04:26 PM
(01-09-2012 08:58 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 08:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In an infinite universe, non-infinite quantities reduce to zero, and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Big Grin

Actually, using calculus, they "approach" zero, but same diff.
Amazing insight. But ya ain't gettin no raise there Johnny. It's all in a days work, for a prophet.

I assume by "approach zero", you just mean that the probability is non-zero then? Drinking Beverage

03-09-2012, 08:24 AM
The universe: Population 0 [1]

[1] http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Universe#Population

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.