"In an infinite universe..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 04:37 PM
"In an infinite universe..."
Is it correct that, in an infinite universe, anything with a non-zero probability of happening is certain to happen an infinite number of times? Huh

I've seen this idea mentioned in several popular science books, including, for example, John D. Barrow's The Book of Universes

I just wondered whether it would be correct; it seems somewhat far-fetched.

Leonardo da Vinci Wrote:While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
Epicurus Wrote:Death means nothing to us...when we exist, death is not yet present, and when death is present, then we do not exist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2012, 05:26 PM
RE: "In an infinite universe..."
I was thinking I saw a video on youtube that explained something just like this.... something to the effect of given infinity, and the finite number of things that could exist in combinations (although "infinite" based on our perceptions), there would be repetitions, or have to be repetitions (so duplicates of you--literally, there'd be another copy of you somewhere).

I can't remember the video that explained it.... but I was thinking it was like that.
19-08-2012, 08:09 PM
(19-08-2012 05:26 PM)elemts Wrote:  I was thinking I saw a video on youtube that explained something just like this.... something to the effect of given infinity, and the finite number of things that could exist in combinations (although "infinite" based on our perceptions), there would be repetitions, or have to be repetitions (so duplicates of you--literally, there'd be another copy of you somewhere).

I can't remember the video that explained it.... but I was thinking it was like that.

So there would be someone somewhere with the same fingerprints as me?

Do you think the judge will go for that?

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
19-08-2012, 08:35 PM
(19-08-2012 04:37 PM)Carnifex Wrote:  Is it correct that, in an infinite universe, anything with a non-zero probability of happening is certain to happen an infinite number of times? Huh

No. An infinite universe needn't have infinite mass. The Big Bang threw a finite amount of matter outwards... in theory. And, in theory, can it be called infinite, as the edges of space & time are expanding into... well, non-universe? It's a bit complicated. Dodgy

What you're thinking of is infinite universes. By that theory, every possible thing that could happen will happen. IMO that theory stinks worse than Stinky Beans.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 11:41 AM
(19-08-2012 08:35 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 04:37 PM)Carnifex Wrote:  Is it correct that, in an infinite universe, anything with a non-zero probability of happening is certain to happen an infinite number of times? Huh

No. An infinite universe needn't have infinite mass. The Big Bang threw a finite amount of matter outwards... in theory.

Oh I know it would require a "multiverse" but since I take 'universe' to mean everything that exits, it seemed to me that even other cosmoses (cosmosi?) would still be part of the universe. Big Grin

Quote:What you're thinking of is infinite universes. By that theory, every possible thing that could happen will happen. IMO that theory stinks worse than Stinky Beans.

So your answer to my OP is, to sum up: "Yes, that would be correct." Smartass

Thanks. Thumbsup

Leonardo da Vinci Wrote:While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
Epicurus Wrote:Death means nothing to us...when we exist, death is not yet present, and when death is present, then we do not exist.
[+] 1 user Likes Carnifex's post
21-08-2012, 07:02 AM
You can have an infinite set of even numbers without ever seeing an odd number in the set. Likewise if this universe is infinite (I've yet to see a compelling case for this) it can be infinite without every possible thing necessarily happening.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
21-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Define an infinite universe? Infinite what? Space? Time? Matter? Vacuum?

The observable universe we can only see so much of. To understand what may be outside that is only equations and guess work since we cannot see it. Who is to know if there are more universes outside our own. Who says our universe is the only universe?

But more importantly, how would you know?
22-08-2012, 11:08 AM
The key here is the "non-zero probability" part.

Many of the things you describe, like multiple versions of you, most likely have zero probability of happening due to what we
think we understand about the universe so far.
23-08-2012, 01:52 PM
(22-08-2012 11:08 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  The key here is the "non-zero probability" part.

Many of the things you describe, like multiple versions of you, most likely have zero probability of happening due to what we
think we understand about the universe so far.

How does this follow? Huh There must be a non-zero probability of me happening otherwise I wouldn't be here right now! Smile

23-08-2012, 01:53 PM
(21-08-2012 07:02 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  You can have an infinite set of even numbers without ever seeing an odd number in the set. Likewise if this universe is infinite (I've yet to see a compelling case for this) it can be infinite without every possible thing necessarily happening.

Except that there would be a zero probability of there being an odd number in the set because the set, by very definition, is a set of the even numbers.