In god you MUST trust

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2011, 08:51 PM
RE: In god you MUST trust
Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be an American. What must the rest of the world think of us.

I'm so glad we've solved all of our actual problems.

I actually don't understand why this is not considered unconstitutional.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2011, 10:35 PM
(25-03-2011 08:51 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  I actually don't understand why this is not considered unconstitutional.

Because religious people have a delusion. They cannot see rationality where their beliefs are involved.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:I'm so glad we've solved all of our actual problems.
You have ???

Then what about the dismissive actions on union rights ? What about politicians that want complete political authority when a corporation declares an emergency ?
I don't deny it - socially you moved up a lot and did a lot of good but I think when it comes to education and politics you have a long way ahead of you.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
27-03-2011, 07:54 PM
(27-03-2011 12:06 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
Quote:I'm so glad we've solved all of our actual problems.
You have ???

Then what about the dismissive actions on union rights ? What about politicians that want complete political authority when a corporation declares an emergency ?
I don't deny it - socially you moved up a lot and did a lot of good but I think when it comes to education and politics you have a long way ahead of you.

Turn your sarcasm detector back on, please. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
27-03-2011, 08:16 PM
(25-03-2011 08:51 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  I actually don't understand why this is not considered unconstitutional.

Unfortunately, freedom "of" religion is not the same as freedom "from" religion. At least, not under the current interpretations it is not. As long as the reference to "god" is generic and not promoting a specific religious view point the courts seem to be ok with the whole thing.

A few years ago there was a suit by an atheist over his kids having to say the Pledge Of Allegiance in school, and his complaint was specifically over the "under god" line. He took the suit pretty high (I can't now recall if he made it to the USSC or just as far as the Circuit court) but he got shot down.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
27-03-2011, 09:32 PM
(22-03-2011 03:05 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1DajN6AhVM

"In god we trust" is going to get forced down your throat.
Kinda sad an pitiful of these politicians to do this.
And to be honest , I think it's against your 1st amendment Confused

How is this possible to begin with ? Please someone enlighten me.

In Europe, they're trying to push an anti Blasphemy law! if that happens here, we can all say good bye to the future of mankind.

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
27-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Quote:Turn your sarcasm detector back on, please. Wink
This is why I suck in social situations.

Quote:In Europe, they're trying to push an anti Blasphemy law! if that happens here, we can all say good bye to the future of mankind.
There's already such a law in Ireland. I think you can get prison time for insulting a Catholic priest or something.
But I don't think such laws would actually pass the EU council and be applied in all of Europe or be seriously enforced.
Still it is a worrying trend.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
28-03-2011, 03:24 AM
This flies in the face of the separation between Church and State which is clearly spelled out in the U.S. Constitution. Eisenhower should never have been allowed to add this slogan to the U.S. dollar and government buildings because the Constitituion prohibits it. That these born-again dimbulbs are re-affirming an unconstitutional law goes to show they put their religion ahead of the Constitution and should probably resign in that case. Don't they swear an oath to uphold the Constitution when they take office? This is in flagrant violation of it. Of course, they swear their oaths on a Bible, which is ironic, but it doesn't excuse this mockery of what the founding fathers intended when they deliberately structured a country in which the government could NOT jam religion down anyone's throat.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
28-03-2011, 03:40 AM
(25-03-2011 08:51 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be an American. What must the rest of the world think of us.

I'm so glad we've solved all of our actual problems.

I actually don't understand why this is not considered unconstitutional.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems we are the laughing stock of the world.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2011, 08:17 AM

[quote='gaglamesh731' pid='24594' dateline='1300827910']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1DajN6AhVM

I grew up seeing signs in the classroom that said "In god we trust". It frightened me then just as much as it frightens me now. When I had to put my children in schools with similar signs, I did my best to get out as soon as I could. Honestly, Even if a person follows "God" school is a time to learn, to develop, not to pray and figure who to pick on because the bible preaches the pecking order.
Angry
Quote this message in a reply