In-laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2016, 12:31 PM
RE: In-laws
Whatever you decide to do, you and your husband have to get together on this and be a united front both in how you deal with his parents and how you raise your children. The talking to each of you individually smells to me like divide and conquer. You are stronger when united.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post
25-05-2016, 01:39 PM
(25-05-2016 12:31 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Whatever you decide to do, you and your husband have to get together on this and be a united front both in how you deal with his parents and how you raise your children. The talking to each of you individually smells to me like divide and conquer. You are stronger when united.
Yes, I wanted to come back and point this out!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
25-05-2016, 10:21 PM
(24-05-2016 05:12 PM)JosieWales Wrote:  I'm sure this has been addressed here a million times. My in-laws have been leaning on me & my husband (me way more than him) about our lack of church attendance. We were attending a very open-minded, loving church up until about a year ago, but I finally let go after realizing I'd felt like a fake Christian my whole life. My husband agrees there's no evidence of god, and we stopped going. My parents are Unitarians and are cool with whatever. His parents are hard core Christians. His dad worked as minister of Ed at their church as his second career.
So my MiL has talked to me three times about it in the last few months and to my husband once. I haven't told her I'm no longer a believer. We have three young kids and they seem to think it's of utmost importance to raise them in the church. I think, she's said her piece and she needs to back off. So I just...need to tell them?
Then again, they'll cry for days if I just up and tell them.
Then again, I can't deflect for ever.
Then again, my 7yo son, with NO input from me advocating one way or the other, used kick-ass analysis skills and decided god doesn't exist. At some point he'll tell his Gma that...
Anyway. Just venting. Looking for input. And thanks.

Given that they're your in-laws it might be best if your husband had a word with them. They were his family first after all. And as others have said, he should try to be gentle.

Either that or unleash the seven year-old on them.

Use of small children as first-strike weapons is prohibitted under the Geneva Conventions though.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.