In-person Community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2013, 12:40 PM
In-person Community
I'm a middle-aged Black woman. I'm a college graduate, I'm working part time right now -- working poor. My major was creative writing, though I haven't done much with it.

I'm pretty shy and have social anxiety. I'd like to find a community of atheists, yet I'm not certain how to do this without it seeming like an artifice. I could try to organize things, but I've not had a whole lot of luck. I have nebulous ties to the local Unitarian Universalist Church. They are pretty atheist-friendly. There's a lot of 'woo' around, though.

Have others had luck with things like Meetup.com or a similar tool in creating a group that gelled and got close? Or at least functioned as a group? I'm working on just doing things I enjoy -- drawing, reading, etc -- and hoping to find someone who is atheist while doing that. I like the idea of not having to worry about transgressing or watching what I say around the religious.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have. Take care!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2013, 01:24 PM
RE: In-person Community
(24-02-2013 12:40 PM)ZenEris5 Wrote:  I'm a middle-aged Black woman. I'm a college graduate, I'm working part time right now -- working poor. My major was creative writing, though I haven't done much with it.

I'm pretty shy and have social anxiety. I'd like to find a community of atheists, yet I'm not certain how to do this without it seeming like an artifice. I could try to organize things, but I've not had a whole lot of luck. I have nebulous ties to the local Unitarian Universalist Church. They are pretty atheist-friendly. There's a lot of 'woo' around, though.

Have others had luck with things like Meetup.com or a similar tool in creating a group that gelled and got close? Or at least functioned as a group? I'm working on just doing things I enjoy -- drawing, reading, etc -- and hoping to find someone who is atheist while doing that. I like the idea of not having to worry about transgressing or watching what I say around the religious.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have. Take care!

Welcome - we have everything from social butterflies to misanthropes, so no problem.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2013, 01:28 PM
(24-02-2013 01:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  we have social butterflies

We do? How come I haven't spotted them yet? [Image: ButterflyBabe-yellow-smiley.gif]

And, ZenEris - welcome! I hope you find what you're looking for, here or in real life. And while you're at it, feel free to have fun in this place Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
24-02-2013, 01:30 PM
(24-02-2013 12:40 PM)ZenEris5 Wrote:  ...
Have others had luck with things like Meetup.com

I went to few Humanist-type meetings via Meetup but to be honest, it's better here than face to face. Perhaps that's because atheists can potentially only have one thing in common... lack of belief.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thinking about coming out as an atheist to one person....advice Pearl 11 253 04-03-2014 07:43 PM
Last Post: GwenB3
  Every person on the planet thinks I'm a circus freak diddo97 13 311 15-02-2014 05:17 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  Ranting about the worst person in my life Ferdinand 1 108 07-02-2014 07:35 AM
Last Post: WitchSabrina
  Church-like community guitarist 3 223 08-09-2013 01:56 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Knowing that I am the bad guy... the worst person on the planet JokerFace 17 779 25-06-2013 08:29 PM
Last Post: Takelababy
  Loneliness, community and nonbelief BrianD 32 925 14-05-2013 06:05 PM
Last Post: BrianD