In regards to former Atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2015, 12:44 PM
In regards to former Atheist.
I've have had a few discussion with people that say they used to be Atheists. Most of the time I find this hard to believe. The more I talk with them I feel that either they just don’t know what Atheist means. Or that they are simply say this because they want to make you think “Oh if he found god maybe he knows something I don’t. I should go back to believing.”

Has anyone had these feelings?

Has anyone ran into similar situations?

Or is there any Theists that are just that. A person that was a former Atheist. Maybe you could elaborate?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2015, 01:13 PM
RE: In regards to former Atheist.
I only heard about atheists who allegedly "returned to the fold" on their deathbed. Never I have talk with someone that left atheism for religion.
That hovewer doesen't mean much. I think there could be people who used to be atheists, religion have some appeal considering that it could give sense of belonging or ease the fear of death.

From certain point of view one could claim that every one of us used to be atheist, while being infant Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-04-2015, 01:18 PM
I've never met one in real life. I've seen a few on TV and I would not buy a car off any of them.
[+] 7 users Like jockmcdock's post
25-04-2015, 01:31 PM
(25-04-2015 12:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I've have had a few discussion with people that say they used to be Atheists. Most of the time I find this hard to believe. The more I talk with them I feel that either they just don’t know what Atheist means. Or that they are simply say this because they want to make you think “Oh if he found god maybe he knows something I don’t. I should go back to believing.”

Or is there any Theists that are just that. A person that was a former Atheist. Maybe you could elaborate?

My deconversion took years more than a decade to get where I am. I tend think it was thoughtful.

I feel with some people those who never really thought about it one way or another, weren't raised or indoctrinated into a particular faith tend to assume they were atheist because they didn't know any better or different.

I also believe it plays well to their own choir. It makes it actually harder though on people who have gone through a process when compared to those who didn't.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Here is a conversation I had with a Theist about a month ago. I forgot how we started the conversation but mostly revolved around how he lived his life comply by faith. and me telling him that is a ludacrist idea.

Holy: I understand where you coming from I used to be an Atheist too.

Me: Really? When?

Holy: When I was a Teenager i was raised Catholic and didn't agree with anything they said. I started rebelling drinking and sleeping with woman all the time.

Me: Sounds like most teenagers.

Holy: That was until I learned of (I can't remember the "leaders" name some guy in the Philippians) he was a poor man that started his early years as an Atheist. Living off the streets robbing and stealing from people. Then he asked God for help and he sent him a vision in a dream. He then took a trip to the middle east. And there he had meet an angel a honest to goodness angel. He couldn't believe it. But that angel brought him to the original bible the original word of god. He then traveled back to the Philippians where he teaches the true word of god.

Me: This sounds like a cult.

Holy: (Gives me an angry stare) No. It's not.

Me: How do you know this guy didn't make it all up? How is this any different then John Smith telling with the golden tablets?

Holy: Well this really happened.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
25-04-2015, 02:45 PM
(25-04-2015 12:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I've have had a few discussion with people that say they used to be Atheists. Most of the time I find this hard to believe. The more I talk with them I feel that either they just don’t know what Atheist means. Or that they are simply say this because they want to make you think “Oh if he found god maybe he knows something I don’t. I should go back to believing.”

It comes down to a great sales tactic, know your audience afterall right? How inspiring is that story to the believers? "I used to be an atheist, then god spoke to me" or "I used to be an atheist then I had a personal experience, and knew it was real!"...or some such BS story.

My opinion of course. Here is my thoughts on this...

If he/she was the type of atheist that just simply didn't believe in a god, had never really researched it, studied theology, philosophy, history...just meh, I don't believe. That type of person I can buy having a personal experience and thinking suddenly...oh my...I just avoided death by 5 seconds etc etc....this MUST mean god is real...or they get sucked in a myriad of other ways....

What I DO NOT believe is someone is an INFORMED atheist, educated in theology, knowledgeable of all of the fabrication, pseudepigrapha, interpolations, allegorical stories, parables and lack of any substantiating evidence and suddenly decides to toss all of that aside and embrace what he/she KNOWS is absolute BS...that I dont buy.

Speaking of sales tactics, I wrote below on a post previously, reread it, liked it, kept it, and I think it is a valid spin on how to sell religion....I can sell milk to a cow, so if I was still a christian ordained minister of the southern baptist faith, i could sell the snake oil quite well...

sales tactic

It comes down to sales tactics. If you had a valid, obtainable, real product to offer the world as a means for living a better life, you could trot it out, point to it, briefly cover its features and it would sell it self.

If you have an invalid, fabricated, made-up transcendental product, which is invisible, and offer it to the world as a means for living a better life, you will have to embrace a lot of aggressive slippery used car salesman tactics to try to convince the gullible, elderly and stupid it is legit.

"But how do I know it is real?"

No worries, it just takes faith, belief in the unknown, and once you die, you will see it in all of its glory, now just sign here, here and here.

"But I don't see the product"

Exactly! isn't it marvelous? It is so wonderful, the creator of it makes it visible to only a select few who sign up, make the full payment, and believe...now sign here, here and here.

"But I read in consumers reports that previous buyers have figured out it is all a lie...a fake product".

Of course they said that, that is the "other guy" working hard to steal away our perspective customers...you don't want to buy from that guy...he planted that evidence to deceive people, now don't you worry your pretty little head with all of those logical questions, you are just cluttering your mind with the inconsequential, that is the other guy messing with your head...now, if you sign right now, I will throw in an ocean front condo with an executive suite for ever and ever, rent free, but you don't get the keys until you die.

"I have to die first to get this product?"

Minor detail, have you read the book? did you see the brochure?.....

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 8 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
25-04-2015, 04:17 PM
There's more to it but the general Kirk Cameron type of proclaim of how they used to be a "devout atheist" is their vision of them looking back at their late teens/early 20s as some acting out against god. So they were getting drunk and partying but it's rarely that this is a description of their thoughts. They will say they were atheists but never talk about their thinking or thoughts on the subject of that time.

It's no coincidence these types of people often proclaim atheists detest or are angry at god. Because that would basically describe their ideas of what their so called atheists thoughts were.

I've known people raised without religion finding it later as well too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
25-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Maybe it's because the former atheists never fully welcomed the Flying Spaghetti Monster into their hearts...

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
25-04-2015, 05:46 PM
(25-04-2015 05:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Maybe it's because the former atheists never fully welcomed the Flying Spaghetti Monster into their hearts...

You have to welcome him into your stomach to truly know him.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
25-04-2015, 05:49 PM
(25-04-2015 05:46 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 05:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Maybe it's because the former atheists never fully welcomed the Flying Spaghetti Monster into their hearts...

You have to welcome him into your stomach to truly know him.

I was trying to figure out what to have for dinner Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi