In regards to former Atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2015, 07:02 AM
RE: In regards to former Atheist.
(25-04-2015 12:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I've have had a few discussion with people that say they used to be Atheists. Most of the time I find this hard to believe. The more I talk with them I feel that either they just don’t know what Atheist means. Or that they are simply say this because they want to make you think “Oh if he found god maybe he knows something I don’t. I should go back to believing.”

Has anyone had these feelings?

Has anyone ran into similar situations?

Or is there any Theists that are just that. A person that was a former Atheist. Maybe you could elaborate?

It is not impossible. I'd say when this happens it is for two reasons. They were not well armed education wise and a slick snake oil salesman got to them. Or, which is what I find most of the time. Their definition of "atheist" was simply being a rebel against god.

Lots of mundane events can cause someone to fall for a religion. Emotional trauma, slick sales pitch, or mental illness or mental decline.

Dawkins once said he wanted his death recorded to prove he wouldn't have a deathbed conversion. Bad idea, if you are doped up or suffering mental decline you would not be in your lucid state.

I cant say I will never regress back into religion, I can say as long as I am lucid like I am now, there is no way I see myself going back.

Humans switch religions from one to another all the time. Muslim to Christian, Christian to Muslim, Christian to Buddhist, or belief to atheist. Still does not prove the existence of an invisible sky hero.

Humans make up gods and that is all there is to it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
26-04-2015, 07:57 AM
A relevant video:

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Hafnof's post
26-04-2015, 10:54 AM
(26-04-2015 06:13 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  There are many irrational things that atheists believe(like guaranteed longterm survival of humanity)

What nonsense. From where the hell did you pull that fact out? Your arse? An atheist can believe from "we'll all be dead meat tomorrow" to "we will live forever".

Sheesh, I wish you trolls could at least pretend to be honest.
[+] 2 users Like jockmcdock's post
26-04-2015, 11:09 AM
(26-04-2015 10:54 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  An atheist can believe from "we'll all be dead meat tomorrow"
Show me one
26-04-2015, 11:15 AM
(26-04-2015 10:54 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 06:13 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  There are many irrational things that atheists believe(like guaranteed longterm survival of humanity)

What nonsense. From where the hell did you pull that fact out? Your arse? An atheist can believe from "we'll all be dead meat tomorrow" to "we will live forever".

Sheesh, I wish you trolls could at least pretend to be honest.

If The Dim One actually has something worthwhile to say, he isn't saying it here.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
26-04-2015, 11:30 AM
(26-04-2015 11:09 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 10:54 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  An atheist can believe from "we'll all be dead meat tomorrow"
Show me one

Show me that there are none. I said theists can believe that. I didn't say any did. But no position on that scale is in any way inconsistent with atheism.

Do I believe in the long term survival of the human race? Actually, I have my doubts. We're seriously fucking up this planet. We're changing the climate. We're exhausting the fish stocks. We're causing sea level rises. Will we be around in 100 years. I'm pretty sure we will. Will we be around in a million years? Ten million years? Maybe not. We have the same guarantee that T-Rex had i.e. bugger all.

I've got my doubts you even know what atheism is. You're ignorant or stupid. And the two are not mutually exclusive.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
26-04-2015, 12:16 PM
(25-04-2015 02:45 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  ... he was a poor man that started his early years as an Atheist. Living off the streets robbing and stealing from people. Then he asked God for help and he sent him a vision in a dream.

Wait, what? Consider

An atheist asks God for help? Facepalm

Yeah, so many atheists live off the streets robbing people. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-04-2015, 12:16 PM
(26-04-2015 11:30 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Will we be around in 100 years. I'm pretty sure we will. Will we be around in a million years?
T hat's what i'm talking about. It's irrational to believe that Universe will last for 100 more years. It can disappear at any moment since there no known law of physics that prevents it.
26-04-2015, 12:22 PM
(26-04-2015 12:16 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 11:30 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Will we be around in 100 years. I'm pretty sure we will. Will we be around in a million years?
T hat's what i'm talking about. It's irrational to believe that Universe will last for 100 more years. It can disappear at any moment since there no known law of physics that prevents it.

So are you saying 100 years is "long term"????

Is there a known law of physics that permits it?
26-04-2015, 12:25 PM
(26-04-2015 12:16 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  

If it can disappear at any given moment, then since the odds of it happening at a moment in the next 100 years are next to nil it would be irrational to bet on it.

And every time I see a post from you I can't help think about Glum. We're doomed.

#sigh