In regards to former Atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2015, 10:06 AM
RE: In regards to former Atheist.
That sounds like the correct word for me - apatheist. That's how I lived for the majority of my life - in my case it meant that religion was BS and I wasn't going to waste anymore time on it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-04-2015, 10:33 AM
(27-04-2015 10:04 AM)unfogged Wrote:  When I say "apatheist" I mean somebody who doesn't think much about they question. They may believe a god exists, think it likely, think it unlikely, or believe no gods exist. The word doesn't tell me what they believe, only that they haven't thought about it and don't seem to care much about it. It is a useful term, but one that has to be qualified.

Apatheism is form of atheism, and not a form of theism. *

So at the very least an apatheist lacks a belief in God.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism
27-04-2015, 10:58 AM
(27-04-2015 10:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 10:04 AM)unfogged Wrote:  When I say "apatheist" I mean somebody who doesn't think much about they question. They may believe a god exists, think it likely, think it unlikely, or believe no gods exist. The word doesn't tell me what they believe, only that they haven't thought about it and don't seem to care much about it. It is a useful term, but one that has to be qualified.

Apatheism is form of atheism, and not a form of theism. *

That's how it is defined on wikipedia and may even be the most common understanding. I disagree with that definition and it is not how I use it because it applies equally well to many people who do believe. Limiting it to atheists is artificial in my opinion. Have you never known believers who didn't think about it and didn't care? You can call them something else, like "non-religious", but then that could mean somebody who follows no organized religion but is "deeply spiritual" so you haven't clarified anything.

As I said before "I don't even think it is generally important as long as the terms are defined for any specific discussion". I was simply explaining how I use the term when no specific definition has been agreed on.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
27-04-2015, 11:40 AM
(27-04-2015 10:58 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 10:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Apatheism is form of atheism, and not a form of theism. *

That's how it is defined on wikipedia and may even be the most common understanding. I disagree with that definition and it is not how I use it because it applies equally well to many people who do believe. Limiting it to atheists is artificial in my opinion. Have you never known believers who didn't think about it and didn't care? You can call them something else, like "non-religious", but then that could mean somebody who follows no organized religion but is "deeply spiritual" so you haven't clarified anything.

As I said before "I don't even think it is generally important as long as the terms are defined for any specific discussion". I was simply explaining how I use the term when no specific definition has been agreed on.

I agree with that definition. I would label most of the people that have been important in my life as theist apatheists. They figured there probably was a god but didn't believe in organized religion of any kind.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-04-2015, 08:43 AM
(25-04-2015 06:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 06:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  May he bless you with his noodly appendage Smile

And to you as well Thumbsup btw I'm sorry my smileys are drooling on your head lol

My faith was only strengthened in him when I look at the universe around me. If he wasn't real then way are planets shaped like meat balls?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
28-04-2015, 08:45 AM
(28-04-2015 08:43 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 06:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  And to you as well Thumbsup btw I'm sorry my smileys are drooling on your head lol

My faith was only strengthened in him when I look at the universe around me. If he wasn't real then way are planets shaped like meat balls?

Good point Consider
28-04-2015, 08:48 AM
(28-04-2015 08:43 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 06:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  And to you as well Thumbsup btw I'm sorry my smileys are drooling on your head lol

Very true, it's apparent that this universe favors the natural meatball shape. FSM's signature is in all of creation!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-07-2015, 12:31 PM
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/i...ic=14089.0

Found this one thread from HAF forum where this certain person is telling about her/his story about going back to christianity from atheism.

He/she seems to be dodging some questions and stopped answering completely for whatever reason.

Any thoughts?
12-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Most of the ex atheists I know where 'violent atheists', 'drug addict atheists' or 'alcoholic atheists'.

They have never been just a good old fashioned atheists... But that doesn't make for a good story in church.
12-07-2015, 06:45 PM
(12-07-2015 12:31 PM)Talviomena Wrote:  http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/i...ic=14089.0

Found this one thread from HAF forum where this certain person is telling about her/his story about going back to christianity from atheism.

He/she seems to be dodging some questions and stopped answering completely for whatever reason.

Any thoughts?

He said god gave him signs, one of these signs was:

Quote:The first time was at the laundry mat. I was extremely distraught over something and kept repeating the Apostle's prayer.
I was sitting in front of a front loading washer and suddenly had the urge to look at it. What I saw was a picture of a Rastefarian from one of my towels dancing his heart out on the front window of the washer. It was completely covering the window and literally looked like he was dancing.

Wow. FacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

How can one argue with such powerful evidence as this? Laugh out loadLaugh out load

Yeah, as an atheist I go around repeating the Apostle's prayer looking for signs of god all of the time, I think someone decided to be a POE. Laugh out loadLaugh out load

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post