In regards to former Atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2015, 07:51 PM
RE: In regards to former Atheist.
I've not run into anyone like this, so I don't have much to add to this thread. I do wonder what I would say to such a person, if I had no alternative to having word with them.
Is it the same as speaking with most theists? If the answer is positive, then I would plow the same familiar ground; with the additional task of determining if the person was actually an atheist, an agnostic, or a deist, because- in my experience- plenty of people don't know the difference between them.
If it is different: how is it different? Is the person educated? Are they following a logical fallacy back to theism? Are they in the grips of familial tragedy? There are probably several more questions to be asked with these, but you get the idea.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2015, 08:20 AM
(25-04-2015 12:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Has anyone had these feelings?

Has anyone ran into similar situations?

Not quite, but sort of.

When I first stopped believing, there was a good six or so month period of time where I still was worried about hell. It's not that I felt that I should be Christian; I stopped because it stopped making sense to me and I couldn't force myself to believe something that didn't make sense. Still, that didn't stop me from worrying about being wrong and going to hell for half a year.

I still go to church with my wife most Sundays to help with the kids. Most of the time I'm rather bored or uncomfortable, depending on what they're talking about. Every now and then I get some odd peaceful feeling that I used to attribute to God when I was still Christian. I don't get it that often, and it certainly hasn't compelled me to come back into the fold. My guess is it's either dopamine or something similar for some random reason, or the Holy Spirit is feeling particularly lazy when dealing with me.

(25-04-2015 12:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Or is there any Theists that are just that. A person that was a former Atheist. Maybe you could elaborate?

I know a guy on Facebook that used to be atheist and he says he took a philosophy of religion class that convinced him. I think his reasoning is that he feels theistic explanations are more compelling. He's actually pro-science, and because science believes the universe "began", this pushes him to accept the Kalam Cosmological Argument. So, he sees a need for a first cause that needs to be eternal. I don't remember his exact reasoning for why this cause must be intelligent.

Also, I think he feels that Christianity is more historically supported than other religions, so that's ultimately why he's Christian and not Muslim or a deist.
13-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Almost everyone that I have met that claims to be a former atheist, seem to not quite have understood the term.

Most of them seem to think that since they were, at one time, indifferent to their religion, they were an atheist.
[+] 3 users Like Simon Moon's post
13-07-2015, 12:38 PM
(13-07-2015 12:21 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  Almost everyone that I have met that claims to be a former atheist, seem to not quite have understood the term.

Most of them seem to think that since they were, at one time, indifferent to their religion, they were an atheist.

Yeah, I 've heard religious people say they questioned their beliefs. There's asking questions and finding the answer in the bible or a apologist book, then there's asking questions and being unimpressed at the shallow answers of apologists.

If someone thinks Josh McDowell has any answers, they're not really looking for answers.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-07-2015, 04:57 PM
A list that deserves looking into:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_..._agnostics

Most testimonies I read from former atheists I find frustrating. One because there always seems to be some plot holes and they're missing something. So yes, when I see a story about a former atheist I'm like "well maybe they found something." And then I read their story and so far I'm just like "no you're doing it wrong."

But also two, because when Christians (and other theists) see this stuff they're like "see there's hope." And that wouldn't bother me so much except when it's close friends and family who try to use these stories on us.

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
13-07-2015, 05:11 PM
My former sibling.

The theists had all the women. (This was Louisiana, mind you.)

Once he joined, he became a Reformed Atheist, which is just as irritating as a reformed smoker. Then he discovered the Theist Con Game and turned insufferable.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
13-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Thinkerbelle - You're from Louisiana, too? (I'm in Missouri, now, so I dunno if I still get to claim my homeland. Heh.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson