In the beginning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2014, 01:54 PM
In the beginning
The authors of the genesis story must have struggled with what to write, but I wonder why they chose to have a god create adults in the garden of Eden. Why not new borns ? Or toddlers ? Or even children ?
And why only 2 or 3 if you count Lilith (and I do)

It seems like all this creation is placed in midstream. No infantcy of the universe or stars or planets.
Everything comes to light at adulthood after billions of years of natural processes.

Could it be that authors were ignorant of childbirth ? Is that even possible ? Or did they simply want a god talking to two adults in the story. And I seem to remember a passage that talks about "all the other people in the world" as if to say, Adam & Eve were created but all these others were already there.

Given that placenta mammals like us borrowed the DNA from a virus millions of years ago that enable all placental embryos to attach itself to the uterine wall, it's really hard to imagine what a "created" human would look like. Every part of our anatomy was handed down from our ancestors all throughout the tree of life. We are an amalgamated animal made from the DNA that survived and DNA that we borrowed from other viruses.

A created human wouldn't look like a modern human at all. I couldn't begin to fathom what that would look like.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2014, 02:04 PM
RE: In the beginning
(07-11-2014 01:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  And why only 2 or 3 if you count Lilith (and I do)

Okay, this is the first I've heard of Lilith.

(07-11-2014 01:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It seems like all this creation is placed in midstream. No infantcy of the universe or stars or planets.
Everything comes to light at adulthood after billions of years of natural processes.

It's an in media res story. People hate origin stories. It's one of the few things about the world the Bible got right.

(07-11-2014 01:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A created human wouldn't look like a modern human at all. I couldn't begin to fathom what that would look like.

Yeah, it's painfully obvious these stories were all created to describe things post hoc. At least, it's obvious to those who don't believe them.
07-11-2014, 02:14 PM
(07-11-2014 01:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The authors of the genesis story must have struggled with what to write, but I wonder why they chose to have a god create adults in the garden of Eden. Why not new borns ? Or toddlers ? Or even children ?

Oh come on! This is simple common sense! Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Genesis takes and states the only obvious answer, which is, of course, 'chicken'. ... Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes OddGamer's post
07-11-2014, 02:14 PM
(07-11-2014 02:04 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 01:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  And why only 2 or 3 if you count Lilith (and I do)

(07-11-2014 01:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It seems like all this creation is placed in midstream. No infantcy of the universe or stars or planets.

It's an in media res story. People hate origin stories. It's one of the few things about the world the Bible got right.

(07-11-2014 01:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A created human wouldn't look like a modern human at all. I couldn't begin to fathom what that would look like.

Yeah, it's painfully obvious these stories were all created to describe things post hoc. At least, it's obvious to those who don't believe them.

Lilith is supposed to be Adam's first wife in Hebrew folklore. She was created at the same time as Adam, not later and from his rib. She's also been depicted as a demon or a screech owl.

As an aside, the character of Lilith in the old sitcom Cheers was inspired by this story.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-11-2014, 02:18 PM

I think Lilith is in older.. 'Torah'? books?

Basically God creates Man and Woman out of dirt. Woman looks around, listens to the spiel and tells god and first man where to stick their instructions.

God gets huffy and curses first woman to be a demon.. or a demon's plaything.. any way she's then kicked out of paradise, something like that.

Then (Having learnt from their mistake -Go figure omnipotent being etc) resorts to taking a rib from first man to create a more... 'amiable' mate for first man. One who'll be good and do as they are told.

Sorry for the ramble, is late, I'm off a 12 hour night shift and it's what's coming to an addled mind.

Much cheers to all.
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
07-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Seriously?

Lilith was the first female created by God. She was created at the same time as Adam and wanted to be equals and wanted to be on top while having sex. Adam wanted to dominate and have his woman be silent and an obedient sex slave so he cast her out of the garden, got lonely and then God made Eve from his ribs.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
07-11-2014, 02:25 PM
(07-11-2014 01:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...
A created human wouldn't look like a modern human at all. I couldn't begin to fathom what that would look like.

(07-11-2014 02:18 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  ...
Basically God creates Man and Woman out of dirt.

... in his own image.

Therefore:
[Image: pileofdirt.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-11-2014, 02:29 PM
(07-11-2014 02:25 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 01:54 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...

(07-11-2014 02:18 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  ...
Basically God creates Man and Woman out of dirt.

... in his own image.

Therefore:
[Image: pileofdirt.jpg]

Laugh out load
07-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Thought it was primarily taken from the Epic of Gilgamesh and the other Sumerian creation stories.
07-11-2014, 02:39 PM
(07-11-2014 02:22 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 02:04 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Okay, this is the first I've heard of Lilith.
Seriously?

Lilith was the first female created by God. She was created at the same time as Adam and wanted to be equals and wanted to be on top while having sex. Adam wanted to dominate and have his woman be silent and an obedient sex slave so he cast her out of the garden, got lonely and then God made Eve from his ribs.

Ehm...

"Lilith" only occurs a couple times in the Bible (don't recall the exact account) and only a few more in the Talmud of the ~4th century, always as a generic beast or demon sort of figure.
(indeed, it stems from an old near-eastern word that does just mean a kind of demon)

The "first wife" narrative only enters Judaism in the ~8th century through a wacky little text called Ben Sira. And that story only became widely known to Europeans in the Romantic era (the pre-Raphaelites loved her as a motif).

So it's important not to back-project - the whole Lilith story is very prone to the same kind of half-assed anti-theism as all the wholly spurious Jesus parallels (e.g. Horus or Mitra and such).

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post