In the beginning God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2014, 08:47 PM
RE: In the beginning God
(14-03-2014 08:46 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Now that I remember the word, yeah you did. My bad Blush

S'all good.

(14-03-2014 08:46 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Well at least I feel like I'm grasping the subject...thanks Thumbsup

Don't worry, drunk physicists love explaining things.

What constantly amazes me is that people listen...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
14-03-2014, 08:51 PM
(14-03-2014 08:47 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 08:46 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Now that I remember the word, yeah you did. My bad Blush

S'all good.

(14-03-2014 08:46 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Well at least I feel like I'm grasping the subject...thanks Thumbsup

Don't worry, drunk physicists love explaining things.

What constantly amazes me is that people listen...

Lol, well I actually like to learn...I'm the kid that actually enjoyed grandpa's war stories (okay, my grandpa didn't have any, but you get the idea) Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
15-03-2014, 01:48 AM
(14-03-2014 01:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_a...g_universe

Well Hawking favors the Big Freeze theory, that the universe will continue to expand exponentially and will suffer a heat death as all the atoms continue to spread.

Alternate theory is The Big Crunch which says everything would end up being compressed into a singularity.

Right now it seems like the math favors the Big Freeze but either is possible.

I'm not keeping track of current theories but is the Big Freeze still favourite now that we know that the rate of expansion is increasing?
15-03-2014, 02:21 AM
(15-03-2014 01:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 01:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_a...g_universe

Well Hawking favors the Big Freeze theory, that the universe will continue to expand exponentially and will suffer a heat death as all the atoms continue to spread.

Alternate theory is The Big Crunch which says everything would end up being compressed into a singularity.

Right now it seems like the math favors the Big Freeze but either is possible.

I'm not keeping track of current theories but is the Big Freeze still favourite now that we know that the rate of expansion is increasing?
I thought the rate of expansion only appears to increase the further away it gets. Was I reading that wrong?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
15-03-2014, 02:26 AM
(14-03-2014 03:51 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 03:44 PM)cjlr Wrote:  You know I said so far as we know, right? I think that covers "something no one has thought of yet".
Big Grin

Forgive the pedantry, but we DO know that it is possible. Not how to actually do it, but we know that it is possible to do so.

My husband asked a good question the other day regarding the Alcubierre drive and the energy generated to achieve it.

Where does that energy go?
15-03-2014, 02:35 AM
(15-03-2014 02:21 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 01:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm not keeping track of current theories but is the Big Freeze still favourite now that we know that the rate of expansion is increasing?
I thought the rate of expansion only appears to increase the further away it gets. Was I reading that wrong?

Astrophysicists have since found that the rate of expansion has started to increase. Three astrophysicists won the Nobel prize for this in 2011. They plotted the red shifts of the super novas and found (IIRC) that the rate of expansion started to slow down after the initial big bang and then started to increase.

I went to a lecture about it when working as a software engineer at an observatory in 2012 because some of their telescopes were used for gathering the evidence. No one explained why the universe had started to expand at a faster rate. My immediate thought was that energy must be entering the universe, which is why I was wondering about whether the Big Freeze was still favourite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_universe
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
15-03-2014, 02:50 AM
(15-03-2014 02:35 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 02:21 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I thought the rate of expansion only appears to increase the further away it gets. Was I reading that wrong?

Astrophysicists have since found that the rate of expansion has started to increase. Three astrophysicists won the Nobel prize for this in 2011. They plotted the red shifts of the super novas and found (IIRC) that the rate of expansion started to slow down after the initial big bang and then started to increase.

I went to a lecture about it when working as a software engineer at an observatory in 2012 because some of their telescopes were used for gathering the evidence. No one explained why the universe had started to expand at a faster rate. My immediate thought was that energy must be entering the universe, which is why I was wondering about whether the Big Freeze was still favourite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_universe

Actually a faster expanding universe would favor the Big Freeze theory (as I understand it anyway) but you would need to ask someone in the field if it is still in vogue.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post