In the face of evil religious zealots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2011, 11:30 AM
In the face of evil religious zealots
This story is infuriating.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ds-newsxml

But I also meet people who ARE peaceful in their religion, no matter what it is. How do I reconcile that?

I know folks like Sam Harris, Hitchens, and Dawkins contend that the very nature of religion, even among moderates allows this sort of extremism. If a moderate believes in an unprovable theory based solely on belief, than who is to say that the those who are extreme are really so extreme? They both interpret the unprovable beliefs that religion has offered them.

Thoughts?

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
RE: In the face of evil religious zealots
I would've liked to think it was an April Fool's joke :/

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2011, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 04:13 PM by Ghost.)
Hey, FOB.

You're a good egg.

None of this is very shocking. If invading and pillaging and occupying a country for 10 years doesn't radicalise a population, nothing will. An 8-year-old who saw the first American soldiers hit the ground turns 18 this year. He's probably a little angry.

I hate Harris' idea. It's a clever way to justify bigotry as far as I'm concerned.

The idea that Muslims live in some sort of vacuum and they just happen to lash out all the time because Islam is simply not a religion of peace is so preposterous that it's beneath acknowledgement. Of course there are peaceful religious people. There's nothing to reconcile. Life is complex. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

I think words like beheading and suicide bomber are loaded. They conjure images of salivating brutes with zero morality. But they're just tactics. The only reason they're associated with extremism is because they're the only tactics available to extremists. If they all had assault rifles or Tomahawk missiles, the end result would be the same. It just so happens that they're poor and squared off against a vastly superior military foe. Asymetrical warfare becomes an inevitability at that point.

I'm not saying that Arabs are poor innocents, they make their own choices, but there is an environment at work that needs to be recognised. Anyone who says environment doesn't affect behaiour knows nothing about behaviour. (ON EDIT: I believe in systems within which there are multiple actors with agency and multiple determinants. The Afghanis that perpetrated this have agency.)

In the end, the only difference between these people and the French that stormed the Bastille is context.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
01-04-2011, 05:35 PM
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Mahatma Gandhi

If this Terry Jones and his ilk were "held responsible" eye for an eye style, I wonder just how much they would see?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Just more evidence that religion, of almost any stripe, causes people to behave in barbaric ways, killing innocents because of their unsupportable belief in absolute nonsense. If Terry Jones wasn't a Christian, he wouldn't have felt so compelled to burn the Koran, and so it goes...defend all the moderates you want, but this is what religion leads to. Innocent people being beheaded for the disagreements of fundamentalists fighting over something that anyone with half a brain can tell them is as real as the tooth fairy. The sooner religious belief goes the way of alchemy and phrenology the better.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin