In the modern era, are any of your beliefs TRULY yours?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 09:49 PM
In the modern era, are any of your beliefs TRULY yours?
In the age of information, where not only do we have even the tiniest fact at our fingertips, everyone has something to say and everyone wants their thoughts and ideas to be heard. Some are more popular than others, and as you surf through Forums, Blogs, comment sections on youtube, videos, and facebook posts, you can see a trend in ideas.

Everyone seems to fall into one identifiable system of beliefs or another: "Progressive", "Liberal", "Libertarian", "Conservative" and many other titles are slapped onto us as we place them upon others. It doesn't matter who's speaking, there's always a general term or group we can apply them to...And with so much of the information in our general media infused with opinion, it's often hard NOT to favor one of these systems of thinking or ideas put forth by a larger group and NOT to be influenced by another.

Are the beliefs we hold to be true, regardless as to whether it's philosophy, politics, religion, or just LIFE, truly ours; or have we forced ourselves to pick one view or another? Where do the ideas you've read and agree with begin, and where do they give way to what you have taken upon yourself to believe on your own? Are our beliefs ours, or are they compiled from the thousands of views and opinions we're exposed to on a daily basis?

It's just something I've been playing with in my head. Food for thought.

[Image: 8ffeae9d.jpg]
Credit to Atothetheist
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: In the modern era, are any of your beliefs TRULY yours?
Ideas are memes and memes are replicators, they spread through populations but you can alter and evolve them, combine them, package them, nullify them with competing or contrary memes...

So no they are not your thoughts alone they have been growing and changing since the campfire days of communication, language is the root of all ideas and language is inherently social...but you form the sentences and keep the ideas flowing and changing, and you are responsible for what you do and promote.

So yes and no, shades of gray and what have you.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
21-10-2013, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 11:07 PM by sporehux.)
I liken it to getting a bank account and the proof of ID required,
That is different sources of facts have heavier weight of truth.

So everything claimed to me is speculation unless i
Can verify the source,
Rank that source and add additional sources.
Put it through an occum blender then make a decision.

Probably arrogant of me, but I think people who don't do the over steps are fraken morons.

I will get things wrong based on bogus/meme influenced data, but I can at least I made an effort to think.

I detest the two political party systems, USA /Australia /NZ/UK/ (not sure about canucks), Politicians cannot represent their constituents because they have follow party ideology.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Many things can shape your thoughts, but one part of that is your history. No two people will have had the exact same up bringing or the same attention from their parents. (Knocking out siblings) Sure, they can be very similar, beliefs, but they're not quite the same.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
22-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Yes, they are mine, but I refuse to believe them. Tongue

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
22-10-2013, 06:22 PM
(22-10-2013 06:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, they are mine, but I refuse to believe them. Tongue

Not sure if you mean, you know not to trust them?
Buts that how I see it, I don't trust my own beliefs fully because of environmental influences/prejudice
So I'm definitely not going to swallow political ideology
Or religious doctrine.

Therefore my beliefs are my own, or super close it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
23-10-2013, 04:25 AM
If one were to have an original thought, one would need a million words to explain it. Tongue

All those labels are for the comfort of our peers as people need a pattern to recognize. Those without are labeled insane.

The labels are not ours, but how we choose to express them is a measure of our investment in philosophy, yet not everyone is a philosopher.

And! I love my Gwynnies! Heart

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-10-2013, 08:57 PM
(22-10-2013 06:22 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 06:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, they are mine, but I refuse to believe them. Tongue

Not sure if you mean, you know not to trust them?

I mean I don't believe.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Every person (actually, every mosquito and panda and dolphin, too) alive today is a direct descendent of the first clump of RNA in some tepid tidal pool, all those millions of years ago.

Nothing in us is new, original or pure: all our molecules, synapses, hormones and thoughts are many, many times recycled. And yet, because there is so much of the material, it can keep recombining in unique, weird, and occasionally even interesting configurations.

It's okay for a social animal to learn from its elders, carry on the traditions of its clan and fit into classifications that allow it some comforting interaction with others of its species. Whatever your little cup dips out of the common pool is still your own - but you have to put it back when you're done using it.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
18-11-2013, 03:34 AM
Every thought you have has been thought before you ever existed. The best you can ever hope to achieve is a fine remix Smile

(the only new thoughts are ones that contain and synthesise new external data)

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.