In the process of deconversion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 03:19 PM
In the process of deconversion...
How many of the ex-christians here went thru a ...'phase', (for lack of better word right now)...of feeling ashamed? For believing and holding to with your heart the things that now make you think 'wtf was I thinking??"
Did it damage your ability to trust yourself to not be a fool again...
Did you look at every single thing and ask yourself 'wait...why do I believe this?'

I cant say Im struggling alot...as Ive got a dose of relief mixed in my thoughts and feelings right now...just wondering if others felt this too...

Got to get to work...be back later
Have a good evening all
Smile

My Karma ran over your Dogma
- I have no clue who said it...I just think its funny
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WhatWasIThinking's post
03-11-2014, 04:15 PM
RE: In the process of deconversion...
Welcome.

For me not so much "what was I thinking" but more "why the fuck did you indoctrinate me with all this nonsense?"

You've broken the cycle, congratulations!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Hi full circle...thanks, and nice to meet you...

I was only indoctrinated becuz I didnt stand for myself and think for myself. Didnt do my own searching and follow thru on my inner questions. Just blindly believed. And when I did question thngs...I was usually condemned or made to feel stupid...specially by ones who claimed to love me...

But you are right..the cycle is broken. To hell with the crucifixtions anyone will throw at me...

Wow..I just realized atheism really takes the punch out of 'go to hell', dont it...lol

[+] 1 user Likes WhatWasIThinking's post
03-11-2014, 10:06 PM
I was sent, in totally "good faith", by a loving family, (among whom I discovered later included some who believed nothing, but had agreed to "keep it from the children"), to religious schools, as that's what they sincerely thought was the best thing they could do for us. I actually wouldn't change a thing. Early on, (in about Third Grade), I started thinking they were not making a lot of sense. But the actual "deconversion" took some years. What I discovered later, was that the things I was attracted to in religion, were actually still available, but in other forms, which were durable, and bore up under scrutiny.

Don't "be ashamed". It's a normal process. Be glad you're free of the bondage of superstition, (as trite as it sounds).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Yes. We've probably all been there.

Humans are easy to fool ... especially the young ones.

For me, not religion but social stuff like relationships.

Has it made me less trusting? No. I'll take the risk of being fooled again. But older and wiser and uglier, I've got better at seeing it coming.

No need to beat yourself up about it. Learn to read the signs.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-11-2014, 06:56 AM
(03-11-2014 10:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I was sent, in totally "good faith", by a loving family, (among whom I discovered later included some who believed nothing, but had agreed to "keep it from the children"), to religious schools, as that's what they sincerely thought was the best thing they could do for us. I actually wouldn't change a thing. Early on, (in about Third Grade), I started thinking they were not making a lot of sense. But the actual "deconversion" took some years. What I discovered later, was that the things I was attracted to in religion, were actually still available, but in other forms, which were durable, and bore up under scrutiny.

Don't "be ashamed". It's a normal process. Be glad you're free of the bondage of superstition, (as trite as it sounds).

Yeah...I wouldnt change anything either. Everything has led me to where Im at now...which, I perfectly am fine with Smile. Did kinda leave me feelin stupid for a moment tho...lol But, Im glad Smile

04-11-2014, 06:59 AM
(03-11-2014 10:14 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Yes. We've probably all been there.

Humans are easy to fool ... especially the young ones.

For me, not religion but social stuff like relationships.

Has it made me less trusting? No. I'll take the risk of being fooled again. But older and wiser and uglier, I've got better at seeing it coming.

No need to beat yourself up about it. Learn to read the signs.

Im evidently not very good at signs...something I will have to work on :/

[+] 1 user Likes WhatWasIThinking's post
04-11-2014, 08:07 AM
(03-11-2014 09:50 PM)WhatWasIThinking Wrote:  Hi full circle...thanks, and nice to meet you...

I was only indoctrinated becuz I didnt stand for myself and think for myself. Didnt do my own searching and follow thru on my inner questions. Just blindly believed. And when I did question thngs...I was usually condemned or made to feel stupid...specially by ones who claimed to love me...

But you are right..the cycle is broken. To hell with the crucifixtions anyone will throw at me...

Wow..I just realized atheism really takes the punch out of 'go to hell', dont it...lol

Yup! It resides right there along "you can go straight to the Middle Kingdom!", it has no meaning. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-11-2014, 09:33 AM
(03-11-2014 09:50 PM)WhatWasIThinking Wrote:  Wow..I just realized atheism really takes the punch out of 'go to hell', dont it...lol

Because I've been there I always just figured people meant Utah when thay said that. Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post